L16 Eating Fan Belts.

dimedriver

L16 Eating Fan Belts.

Post by dimedriver »

My car has gone threw about four fan belts in the last 200miles.
Its a 71 510 with an L16.
It has two belt slots on the crank pulley.
I put the belt in the front most slot to line up with the water pump and alternator pulley.
I'm running a rebuilt stock alternator.
I have a 4.11 rear end and a stock 4 speed so I have to rev pretty high on the hwy.

I have felt all the pulleys and found no ruff edges. The last belt I was running was a checkers/kragen brand belt # 15255 11AV0900. It was on the car for about 60miles and its already looking chewed up. I think that belt is a size bigger than stock because I bought two new belts from kragen and they are both 11AV0875 but have different numbers starting with 15. 15351(good-year gatorback) 15345(kragen). They also do not fit. I said I did not have AC when I was asking for them. The belt I had on last was an 11AV0925 from napa. It flew off when I was on the hwy.

There are rubber shards on the under side of the hood. looks kinda like someone did a peel out on a set of race tires. I checked to make sure everything look nice and straight and inline and it was.

Am I running the wrong belts? Are they two loose or too tight? I usually shoot for about half an inch of give when I push on them between the alt. and the water pump. What belts do you you guys run?

-Avery
TUF510

Re: L16 Eating Fan Belts.

Post by TUF510 »

Does the waterpump pulley/bearing or the harmonic balancer spin nicely without wobbling?
Does the Alternator bearing feel notchy?
Does the fan belt look straight when view side on
Are all the bolts holding the alternator on and tight?
Is the alternator bracket cracked or broken?

Was the fan belt tensioned correctly?
Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
James

Post by James »

I looked at an old belt I have as a spare - Dayco 15365. Also has 11A0925 on it. Ran it fine for quite a while.
I would imagine you have the wrong belt installed. '71's had a smog pump (or air pump - nightmarish things that didn't last) - could be getting that belt? I would get the 15365 and install it - maybe install it a little tighter than you had it (but if it wasn't squealing, its probably fine...)
I would also watch the front of your engine when running to make sure everything is square and straight. Also make sure you didn't lose a mounting bolt on the bottom of your alternator, which would rotate it a bit - and could be leading to your issues as well.

FROM ROCKAUTO.COM

DAYCO Part # 15290 {Exceeds OE Specifications}
A.P., W/O A.C. AIR PUMP :wink:
$7.12 $0.00 $7.12

DAYCO Part # 15365 {Exceeds OE Specifications}
Fan & Alt.
$7.47 $0.00 $7.47

GATES Part # 7360 {HC41 13/32" x 36 5/8"}
$7.51 $0.00 $7.51

ACDELCO Part # 15360 {HC41 13/32" x 36 5/8" #88934301}
BELT,V FAN AND ALTERNATOR
Finished is better than perfect......
dimedriver

Post by dimedriver »

Thanks guys.
I will buy that longer belt and try that.

When looking from the side it looks stright. This was one of the 1st things I checked.
I will look for wobble when I install the new belt tomorrow.

-Avery
dimedriver

Post by dimedriver »

Picked up the new belt from Bob's Auto(Car Quest).
Its car quest brand but says Gates on the back of the package.
Numbers:
11A0925
13/32" X 37-1/8 OC
10mm x 942mm OC

The belt is just notably thiner than the last two. It is also about an inch longer.

It fit on the car great. I put it on and the Alternator slid down near the end of the bracket about an inch and quarter from the end. I started up no squeal and I could not find any wobbling.

The water pump has never had any drag or felt knochy.

But now I have other problems. My voltage spikes up pretty quickly after start up.
The battery started hissing and let out some acid. I quickly poured baking soda on it and removed it from the car.

I had an old but new in box voltage regulator so I swapped that in and My multi-meter showed 15volts at one point when engine was running around 3k.

I will pick up a new regulator and see what that does in a little bit.
I will probably get a yellow top while I'm at it. They should be a little harder to pop.

-Avery
James

Post by James »

Just an FY! - if you can move the alternator, and you didn't loosen the mounting bolts first - they're loose. Just make sure they are tight. At least you alternator is putting out current!
Let us know if you get it dialed in!
Finished is better than perfect......