L16 Dieseling Issue

angzt

L16 Dieseling Issue

Post by angzt »

How badly can dieseling damage my stock L16?

I believe I'm running rich... but it also could be carbon on my plugs... neither of which I have looked into.

The project is currently on delay as other bills take priority of my cash... I usually just fire the engine up every so often to keep the internals lubricated.

I was just wondering if the dieseling issue is something I need to make a priority to fix..?

Thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Re: L16 Dieseling Issue

Post by okayfine »

angzt wrote:How badly can dieseling damage my stock L16?
How bad is your engine dieseling? Worst case is that you can break parts. Most normal L-series dieseling isn't that extreme, but you give no indication as to the severity.

Likely the causes of dieseling are hurting performance in other respects, so fixing the engine so it doesn't diesel will pay dividends beyond the dieseling itself.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

For the short term until you can properly fix it. If an automatic, shut off in drive then put in park. This should stall it quickly. If a standard put in 4th and with foot on brake let out clutch as you turn the key off. With a little practice you won't even notice it stalling.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
angzt

Post by angzt »

okayfine wrote:
angzt wrote:How badly can dieseling damage my stock L16?
How bad is your engine dieseling?
When I turn the ignition off it continues to crank verrryyy slowly. It's barely enough momentum to complete a cycle.... and then it just dies after like 3 or 4 rotations and then blue smoke emerges... yay :(
datzenmike wrote:If a standard put in 4th and with foot on brake let out clutch as you turn the key off. With a little practice you won't even notice it stalling.
Hmm I suppose I could try that.. Thanks!
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

time the motor with a timming light.

Weber carb with a idle cutoff seliniod

Dont buy ARCO gasoline