Rear brake problems

scottrosenberg

Rear brake problems

Post by scottrosenberg »

I am rebuild the rear brakes on my 71 wagon. New wheel cylinders and shoes. I have everything installed but am having trouble getting the drums back on. It feels like everything has grown a little bit. I have not bled the brake yet, so I know that there should be room. Any help
defdes
Supporter

Re: Rear brake problems

Post by defdes »

Are the wheel cylinder adjusters backed out all of the way? I have had to "dress" Portefield pads before because I was having the same problem you are having. I did it on a flat surface with a piece of 100 emery cloth taped to the table.
scottrosenberg

Post by scottrosenberg »

It looks like the adjusters are all the in. It was 20 years ago the last time I worked on drum brakes. It might be a good time to purchase the 510 manual. In the mean time I think start over from step one, and reinstall everyting again. Unless someone has an idea.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

scottrosenberg wrote:I have not bled the brake yet, so I know that there should be room. Any help
if that doesnt allow the cylinders to fully retract, then try 'dressing' the shoes.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

E brake cable backed off too????
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What brand of shoes? Some cheaper aftermarket stuff might not be exactly within spec.

However, even with Datsun NOS, I still had to adjust the shoes vertically a bit to get the drum to fit the first time. When you replace them, there's a decent amount of room for 'em to move up and down. Likely you just have to get the shoes into the sweet spot and you'll be GTG.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
brknrekord
Supporter

Post by brknrekord »

Did you disassemble the adjusters to clean and grease them? If not, there could be crap inside them keeping them from collapsing fully. Just a possiblility.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I've found with a set that the shoes nubs that sit on the adjusters and the cylinders needed to be ground down a bit. Now I don't know why this was to be but after a grinding they fit in my 510 just fine. I was told I had shoes for the 240Z not the 510, yes they were after markets. Don't know fersure as I haven't done rear Z brakes in 30+ years.
scottrosenberg

Post by scottrosenberg »

Thanks for all of the insight to my brake problems. Got the problem fixed with your help, everything went back together great. One last question on the brake adjuster, once I backed it in all of the way, and everything is together, what is the correct setting for good brake wear?
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

The wheels should be tight to turn by hand, but not hard to turn. I usually adjust them in until they become hard to turn, then back off one "click".