Wiring a Electronic Distributor ON a Datsun L20B Datsun

DiamondBlue559

Wiring a Electronic Distributor ON a Datsun L20B Datsun

Post by DiamondBlue559 »

A guys, I Have a 1970 Datsun 510 car. I bought a L20b engine for my ride, and it came with a Electronic Distributor instead of points. I was wondering how its supposed to be wired to my car. What Wire connects to where. I just wanted to know cause im rewiring all the wire that was fried when i had bought the car, so I dont even know what wires go to the points, coil, and that little white box underneath the coil. please help. Thanx.
defdes
Supporter

Re: Wiring a Electronic Distributor ON a Datsun L20B Datsun

Post by defdes »

banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

this is stock set up. drawing.

the white block is the ballast resisitor. and shoulf stay with a point coil as you have. Do not remove it with that coil. designed to work togeter.

The matchbox Distributor is made to run on a MSD Blaster 2( or coil from the which the Elelctronic ignition was taken from.) coil without the Ballast resisitor.

Now your confused?
Just make sure you have the wiring in the drawing.
BLKwht wire will have 12volt in th Key "ON"
Blk/Blu wire will have 12volt in Key "START"
if you have this the car will run and is wired OK.
Attachments
ballast510.jpg
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Look at Hainz's diagram.

First get an EI coil from any '78 or newer Nissan. This coil will work with the EI distributor without over heating and will give the higher output voltage. Remove the ballast resistor and join the Black/White wire with the Black/blue wire and the Red wire from the EI izzy and connect all three to the + side of the EI coil. Connect the other (Black) wire from the EI distributor to the - side of the EI coil.... good to go.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
DiamondBlue559

Post by DiamondBlue559 »

Okay, I get what you saying, but i have a MSD Blaster 2 Coil. Will that work the same as the 78 & Newer nissan EI coil with My EI Distributor or weaker or better? The only thing im sort of confused on is which wire on the T clip do I clip the positive & negative? Is it the Horizon or verticle. Thanxs though Im About to rewire my whole car tomorrow and i want to get things right. All my wires where fried and very old, and the fuse box was shot, so i got me another one and im running a whole new set up. Thanx
banzai510(hainz)

B Positive
C is negative

justCONNECT the 2 wires at the + side coil
1)blk/wht wire from car(+12volt key "ON")
2)wire from contack B

I would use a piggyback jumper so you dont have to cut any stock wires.

I reccoment that you put motor at TDC so incase your ROTOR point in a different direction youll know where to put #1 sparkplug

these 2 drawings are the same thing
Attachments
521_Ei-conversionDiagram.jpg
coilwireing.jpg
DiamondBlue559

Post by DiamondBlue559 »

I also have a E12-27 Hitachi Transistor Ignition Unit(TIU). I viewed the other pages and i just wanna be clear before installing, The ignition wires up to the TIU, the TIU wires to both the EI Dizzy & The coil, the EI dizzy wires up to the coil as well correct or did i miss somthing, or said something wrong?

I did a check on the TIU and supposely its supoosed to be somewhat like a MSD Ignition box. Is this even tru, cause I'm not sure thats even close to being true. before i forget, thanx for all the replies so far, its benn very helpful.
banzai510(hainz)

E12-27 Hitachi Transistor Ignition Unit(TIU).

is this on the side of the distributor?

then wire it per above drawing thats it

read jason Greys write up
http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm