280ZX rear end in a 510

1600SSS72

280ZX rear end in a 510

Post by 1600SSS72 »

Hi,
Searching for 280ZX front struts to upgrade my 510 as suggested by experts, I found a complete 280ZX rear crossmember assembled with diff, half shafts, hubs and brakes including the std 280ZX rear anti-roll bar.
My question is: can I put it in my ´72 510SSS instead of the original crossmember, as a one piece? or do I have to just separate the hub/brakes and diff?
Thank you for your help.
Rui
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 280ZX rear end in a 510

Post by okayfine »

Rui, the 280ZX has a wider track than the 510. If you measure I believe you'll find it's something like 1.5" wider overall. This will present issues if you attempt to use the 280ZX rear suspension as a piece, as likely your wheels will no longer fit. You can modify the 510 crossmember to accept the 280ZX arms by narrowing the brackets on the crossmember (less painful if you're modifying the crossmember for some version of adjustability).

In short, it won't bolt in and work, but as with most things 510, it can be made to work. You won't find much information posted about it because it is a relatively uncommon modification. Other forum members are better educated about the differences than I and may also respond.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510Martinez

Post by 510Martinez »

I recently asked about this and got a very nice reply from the members with pics.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... ms#p115191
1600SSS72

Post by 1600SSS72 »

Thank you for your excellent replies..
As it is not a straightforward job, probably the best is to try to use the 280ZX arms as they are stronger and I already have coilovers front and rear.
Or just adapt the rear discs and the bigger diff, if the first option is very time consuming (meaning high labour time), do you think the benefits justifies extra costs?
Rui
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

1600SSS72 wrote:Or just adapt the rear discs and the bigger diff, if the first option is very time consuming (meaning high labour time), do you think the benefits justifies extra costs?
Rui
Depends on what your goals are. If it's just to gain rear discs, I wouldn't bother. If it would have something to do with rallying and a need for the stronger rear arms, that might be a point towards doing the conversion.

That said, have you had many rear control arms fold up in the course of a rally? Datsun seemed to take precautions at the front (such as doubling the steering idler arm) suspension, but I haven't read of much worries about the rear (which isn't say much on my part).

With the availability of rear disc brake brackets and a parts list, rear discs have never been easier. The bigger diff isn't necessarily better, I'd take an R160LSD over an open R180, never mind Z car diffs don't tend to have good gears for 4cyl 510s.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

okayfine wrote:Rui, the 280ZX has a wider track than the 510. If you measure I believe you'll find it's something like 1.5" wider overall. This will present issues if you attempt to use the 280ZX rear suspension as a piece, as likely your wheels will no longer fit. You can modify the 510 crossmember to accept the 280ZX arms by narrowing the brackets on the crossmember (less painful if you're modifying the crossmember for some version of adjustability).

In short, it won't bolt in and work, but as with most things 510, it can be made to work. You won't find much information posted about it because it is a relatively uncommon modification. Other forum members are better educated about the differences than I and may also respond.
In stock form you don't have to do anything to the crossmember in order for the 280zx arms to mount to the crossmember - they're the same spacing.
I'm your huckleberry.
1600SSS72

Post by 1600SSS72 »

okayfine wrote: Depends on what your goals are. If it's just to gain rear discs, I wouldn't bother. If it would have something to do with rallying and a need for the stronger rear arms, that might be a point towards doing the conversion.
Yes it is intended for rallying, altough not expecting to use it in hard gravel, but still aiming a bulletproof car.
I think I understood correctly your answers (I am in Portugal, so my English is not perfect), and I will try to replace the std 510 arms by the 280ZX arms with hubs and discs, which seems to be a non-complicated job.
I thought the R200 diff would be much stronger, but if you think the R160 is good for the job, I will keep it as it is an lsd (progressive type).
Thank you all for your kind help.
Rui
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

thisismatt wrote:In stock form you don't have to do anything to the crossmember in order for the 280zx arms to mount to the crossmember - they're the same spacing.
My mistake. Sorry for passing along bad info.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

1600SSS72 wrote:I thought the R200 diff would be much stronger, but if you think the R160 is good for the job, I will keep it as it is an lsd (progressive type).
Torque tends to kill diffs. If you're running the stock engine, or run on loose surfaces, I wouldn't think you'd see a problem. But I do not rally 510s, so my opinion isn't worth much in this respect.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

okayfine wrote: If you're running the stock engine, or run on loose surfaces, I wouldn't think you'd see a problem.
i never had any rear end issues while terrorizing baja in a stock 4dr, over multiple years :twisted:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
1600SSS72

Re: 280ZX rear end in a 510 - Too much camber??

Post by 1600SSS72 »

Hi again,
I think I need your great help again.
We have just mounted complete 280ZX rear arms incl. discs, but we found two problems that we never read about: we have an excessive rear camber and shock mounts ( we have coilovers) need an adaptor not to foul driveshafts.
What are we doing wrong?? They really fit straightforward in 510, but this unexpected rear camber has to be corrected. At front everything is ok, with 280ZX ventilated discs.
Thank you for your help,
Rui
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

:idea: would byrons adjustable brackets function on the ZX rear :?:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
1600SSS72

Re: 280ZX rear end in a 510 - Too much camber??

Post by 1600SSS72 »

1600SSS72 wrote:What are we doing wrong?? They really fit straightforward in 510, but this unexpected rear camber has to be corrected.
Apparently we found the reason for this camber problem, when we replaced old bushes for new and now they allow a perfect fit, and we still have to check when car is back to floor, but camber seems reduced.
Rui