electrical problem

tay

electrical problem

Post by tay »

Hello datsun fellas,

I am having an electrical problem; my radio does not work, nor do my blinkers. This all happened after I replaced alternator. I have checked and replaced the fuses. I did take out the battery to charge it, which may have cause this to happen... but other then that.. I just replaced my dead externally regulated alternator for my L20b to a '82 720 alternator that is internally regulated. I have yet to splice the wires and my regulator still exists, but definitely works because my voltage meter is looking like it is receiving 14 volts or so..... and the battery is keeping its charge. Anyhow, my question is, what else could be causing my blinkers and stereo to not work aside from the fuse box?

Regards, Taylor
Last edited by tay on 24 Apr 2009 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: electrical problem

Post by datzenmike »

Are you saying you have an IR alternator wired up to an external regulator??? I wouldn't do that, get it wired right. Then trouble shoot your problems. Does your heater fan work, its on the same circuit as the radio.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
tay

Post by tay »

I know, it was a quick lil thing I did to see if I would be able to determine the actual problem since i didn't have a multimeter. Anyhow, I realize the gas gauge doesn't work either. Haven't checked heater yet.

Update: The harness that plugs into the fuses (there are two plugs or harnesses, not sure what the are called; they have 6 metal contacts) is going bad... a little green build up. The harness on the left had one of the metal contacts break at the very lower left corner.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

they are replaceable contacts.

then 'douche the box'
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.