Nissan EI Distributor Wierdness

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Nissan EI Distributor Wierdness

Post by okayfine » 10 May 2009 18:08

vgwagon wrote:I would suggest a new cap, as maybe the one you were using is carbon tracked???
Cap is new, Heche en Japan. Still looks new inside. It should, with only ~6 miles on it. Same with the rotor (Japan). I may not be totally familiar with the term "carbon track," however, so I may not be understanding your question correctly.
vgwagon wrote:I thought I picked up you saying something about the ignition being triggered before the rotor reached the appropriate firing contact inside the cap.....this could cause a carbon track and your slight miss??
Sort of. The timing changed with the use of the no-name module, and I had to turn the rotor a tooth to get things lined up again (timing marks and bolt holes).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 » 12 May 2009 10:19

okayfine wrote:
vgwagon wrote:... the term "carbon track," however, so I may not be understanding your question correctly.
vgwagon wrote:
(common in older caps, esp w/points) deposits form on the inside of the cap, providing a shorter path for the electrons... to avoid making it to the correct plug.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 13 May 2009 08:01

So I took everything apart, inspected it all, then put it back together. The only thing I changed was the reluctor, bacck to my rebuilt one that is 45° rotated from Jason's piece. I had to turn the distributor rotor a couple teeth to get things to line up again, however now my miss is gone and the engine runs as well as it did during the 4km drive I had with the no-name ignition module.

At one point I verified the rotor was pointing at a cap terminal when it was supposed to, but as I've had the distributor apart so many times now, it is possible I goofed the previous assembly. None of which explains hows the rebuild stator is screwed up, or now the screwed up stator worked perfectly with the no-name module, or the retard-with-revs I've been fighting, or the non-function of the points setup.

But, the car runs. I'd surely like to understand everything, but gift horse and all that.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 » 13 May 2009 09:01

okayfine wrote:So I took everything apart, inspected it all, then put it back together.
I'd surely like to understand everything...
so it WAS a fuel problem. all that cranking cleared it out of the lines... :)
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.

James

Post by James » 13 May 2009 10:25

Glad you are back to a positive state and running again (thanks for letting us know - I hate it when you never find out what is going on!).
While you may never know what happened, at least you came to a good resolution.
Finished is better than perfect......

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 13 May 2009 10:33

hang_510 wrote:so it WAS a fuel problem. all that cranking cleared it out of the lines... :)
The bang I got once I got the ignition to fire (after days of cranking testing the system) proved it!
James wrote:Glad you are back to a positive state and running again (thanks for letting us know - I hate it when you never find out what is going on!).
While you may never know what happened, at least you came to a good resolution.
Datzenmike piped in to my part number inquiry, and the distributor I have is not for anything that would require a two-plug module, so it is possible that the rebuilder simply grabbed disparate parts when "rebuilding" my EI dizzy, and so it was never going to work correctly with the parts as installed. Still doesn't explain my retarded stator, but, well, if I wanted simple answers I would have stayed stock (...though, if you've seen the three-on-the-tree linkage, I'd venture to say I'd rather deal with ignition woes!).