weber 32/36 help

fo0manchu

weber 32/36 help

Post by fo0manchu »

Okay, so this is not about my datsun but I also have a BMW 2002 that I am working on as my daily driver. I just installed the weber. However, when I go to start it, its like someone just mashed on the throttle. So I quickly turn it off so I don't blow my motor. I checked the throttle plates and those are both closed. Idle air/fuel adjustment screw is completely screwed in(I assumed that the motor should have just bogged out due to being lean). My idle adjustment screw for the throttle is also all the way out. This carb used to be on a 2.0 motor and is now on a 1.8. Any thoughts on why this is happening? Im not a pro with carbs so any help would be great. This carb did run fine on the previous motor that it was on and maintained a healthy idle.
510Martinez

Re: weber 32/36 help

Post by 510Martinez »

I can't see it running so fast with the throttle plates closed... However, a vaccum leak can raise the idle speed of an engine a good bit - see it in bikes a lot.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I would second the vacuum leak idea. This can send the idle into the stratosphere in short order if the carb is tuned a slight bit rich. Don't worry about the mixtures, look for a vacuum leak either between the carb and the manifold, or between the manifold and the head. It's likely between the carb base and manifold, as a leak at the manifold/head area would only affect one cylinder and not likely get this response.
My thoughts with so little to go on, hope it helps.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
James

Post by James »

You might also try retarding the timing a bit, if you are not sure that it is right. I had an L-18 that I was starting up after it had sat for a long time (and I had rebuilt the carb etc.), and I couldn't get the idle to slow down (idle speed screw all the way out) until the timing was right (it was way advanced).
Another stupid idea - return spring? I know you said the t plates were closed - but sometimes its something simple (we hope)
Finished is better than perfect......
fo0manchu

Post by fo0manchu »

thanks for the responses. I will double check for any leaks. Timing right now is just set to tdc, as I can't even get it to idle to check it with my gun.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

If a vaccum leak wouldnt it NOT IDLE???????????

You say its like a mashed gas pedal and revs up till you shut the motor off?
I would look at the carb(while somebody else starts it) and look in the top of carb and see if maybe a the float is sunk and maybe just pouring gas(maybe stuck needle valve) in there at a rate which not to flood it out.I would thibk it would flood out.
wack it!!!!!!!!!

also the Speed screw should be out or barely on the trottle plate linkage. Most od mine are out or 1/1/2 tuns in.

If speed srew is turn in alot it usaully mines a idel jet plugged or the mixture screw is off.

What kind of fuel pump is on this rig? Weber DSGV wants low pressure 3-3.5pounds. Stock fuel pump should be fine.
fo0manchu

Post by fo0manchu »

It ended up being a number of things. But the main thing was that the water choke was holding the throttle open at start up. I took it off and adjusted it a bit and that helped a lot. I'm sure after I get my timing straight, I will be able to tune it further. It still runs a bit fast though, but not nearly as bad as before.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

Well that will do it with the kick down circut.
never seen the water choke carbs on datsuns. if anything poeple will remove the water choke adapter and put a manual conversion on there or just wire the choke back so the plate stays open and pump the gas before start up.
fo0manchu

Post by fo0manchu »

Thats good to know Hainz. I didn't want to run those water lines. Can I just remove the choke completely? Or do I still need those plates there? Im assuming this will only affect the cars idle until it warms up? I'm so clueless when it comes to carbs, I have been so tempted to convert to FI.