Intercooler Fitment

NorCalDime

Intercooler Fitment

Post by NorCalDime »

Well i just typed this long ass post and hit save instead of submit, then hit back and bam it was gone :x

So im trying to measure up how to fit an intercooler in. Im running a KA-t and i have looked through some posts and some projects but not much info on the subject.

I see some people cut their core support and shove the FMIC in there and then move the radiator back, but how is that possible? there is already no room with the water pump pulley.

It seems the right size would be like 19x12x3 and it would fit right in that stock hole.

Anyone have some pics and info of how they did theirs? I dont wanna pay a rediculous amount for a "510" intercooler. I was just gonna go with a ebay kit.

Size of your FMIC and even radiator would be great!
codyisbad

Re: Intercooler Fitment

Post by codyisbad »

I am using an intercooler made by Mishimoto, it is close to the size you listed. I think its is about 22x12.75x3, and
i'm using a 944 radiator its about 2 1/4" thick. You will have to cut the core support no matter what. I am using an sr20 so I am not sure if it is the same lenght as a ka, but I am going to have to use 2 smaller fans offset to clear the water pump. The cheapest place I found the intercooler was through someone's ebay store, I think it was about $160 with free shipping.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

This is what we did on Dillon's car. The core support was cut then we fitting some round stock around the whole and welded it on to add the strength back. Not that the core support does anything.... It was one hell of a job though!!!! It took all day to mod the IC and radiator then fit them!! I bet next time it will be even easier. Here is a shot of the modded IC

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
NorCalDime

Post by NorCalDime »

Ok well that gives me a general idea...Thanks guys!

i was hoping i didnt have to cut too much, but the more i look at it the more i realize that isnt really possible. Guess i will get in there and start spacing my radiator back and see just how much room i can make.
SeanT-wagon

Post by SeanT-wagon »

Chris, James will be at the meet today (he always is!) and last time he was there, he brought his white 2-door and his Bluebird. If the white car is there, it's a "thin" intercooler and the inlet/exit pipes go through the inner headlight bezels. Otherwise, here are a few different styles and the fitment they require:

Or just man up and do it this way...

I'll call you when I get off work. If it's raining, I doubt people are going to stay around long enough for me to get there.... :-( I get off work at 8, so I wouldn't be there till like 8:15-8:30