U-joints

scotth510

U-joints

Post by scotth510 »

I'm in the process of replacing all the u-joints on my halfshafts. I thought I could use my vise and a couple of sockets to remove them, but my vise won't open far enough. What I'm looking for is some ideas on how I can do this without having to buy a vise that opens more. So, anyone with an idea or tips to make this happen please feel free to post.
Thanks
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

If you are gentle and accurate you can do it by hand, with a soft mallet, support the shaft in mid-air and a few wallops will push the cap out, then grab it with vise grips and twist out the cap, just make sure you dont hit the yokes as they will bend and you'll end up going through u-joints at an alarming rate. I am sure someone will blast me for suggesting this method, but it works for me!
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

I've done it the way dynobones suggest, albeit on the floor. Just put a big 1" socket under the joint (so the cap has a place to go) and drive it out with a soft hammer.
scotth510

Post by scotth510 »

Well, u-joints are changed. My girlfriends dad was a big help. Thanks for the tips guys.
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Just got to the thread. A little late, but if anyone has access to an arbor press, it's the best tool for the job (combined with a few sockets) Second best is an average bench vice that can open up to 6 inches.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
scotth510

Post by scotth510 »

Hey Byron, we used the vise method you are talking about. It worked awesome, we had all four changed in about an hour. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.
Later
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796
Ratsun

Post by Ratsun »

Shit what do you guy's need a vice for all you need is a block of wood and a rock ( I have done this more than once in the middle of no where boy do i miss 4x4 ing)
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

you need a rock man? No rock use head!
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
Ratsun

Post by Ratsun »

you got to use what you have when you are stranded.
jhughes26

Re: U-joints

Post by jhughes26 »

i am also replacing my u joints but have not had any luck so far, i was having difficulty getting the old ones out using the vise, so i rented a puller, which is basically a vise with 3 adjustable arms and can be hooked up to a socket setting. anyway i got everything out fairly easily.

i am now having trouble putting the new ones in. i can get them both on alright but the trouble comes when i am putting on the snap rings. i can get one on, but i can't seem to get it tight enough to put both on at once, i get the feeling that i am pushing too hard and that something will break. what am i doing wrong?
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

jhughes26 wrote: but i can't seem to get it tight enough to put both on at once, i get the feeling that i am pushing too hard and that something will break. what am i doing wrong?
C-clamp(AKA hand vise :lol: ) do 1 side, then the other.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Did one of your rollers fall over when you were installing the cap?
It's happened to me before...
chuck

Post by chuck »

hi i have a 72 510 and trying to change the u joint on the half shaft. haveing trouble finding the right ones to fit can get all three points in with the clips but cant the one side in. does anyone have any ideas or what one i need to get if you have a part number that would help great thanks.