Aftermarket Guages

scotth510

Aftermarket Guages

Post by scotth510 » 02 Jun 2004 10:18

I am interested in adding guages for water temp., oil pressure and voltmeter and was wondering if I should use mechanical or electrical ones? any suggestions would be appreciated.

caesarDX

Post by caesarDX » 02 Jun 2004 11:47

I believe that the mechanical guages are better.
I have been looking myself too. Prices for mechanical are
significantly higher. Then there is the question of where
the guages are made. For taiwanese guages... they are
around half the price of the american counter parts.

More accuracy = more $$
1984 Renault R5 Turbo2 - L' Enfant Terrible
1989 E30 M3 "God's Chariot"
1970 KA24DE 4dr - Sold to a good home.
1971 Pl 510 "100% stock" - sold to a good home
2001 Renault Clio V6 Phase 1

banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) » 02 Jun 2004 12:44

I have a Stewared Warner oil guage in my truck. I think it made in Mexico,was sold thru Napa. Cheap! But works but use the autometer plastic line. Dont use the taiwan ones cause they will break. Or become brittle from the hot and cold. I know. Mine was by the oil filter and i went to move it and it shot out oil when I was done changing the oil.
Maybe run a copper line instead.

I also have some VDO gauges which are good but I think Made in Malaysia. I have a electric oil pressure with the sender that bolts to the oil out put But the 510 uses a Brithish type pipe tread so I found some adapter to go in the block. Im not using them yet.

IF you can maybe the Z car gauges would be good to get or the german VDOs(VWs).
The autometers are nice but to big for me. I like if they are really USA made.

I hate the ones sold at Schucks cause they are the bottom of th line models I wouldnt run on my lawn mower. But as most these gauges are really for indication use only.

scotth510

Post by scotth510 » 02 Jun 2004 13:15

I have been looking at the autometer autogage line which has 3 guages in a pod. From what I have heard electrical are easier to install but mechanical don't need to be powered which sounds like a better design. Thanks for the input guys!
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796

banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) » 02 Jun 2004 13:52

I say thats the one NOT to buy. Yes the autogauge brand is the cheapest. Dont compare them to the better Autometer brand

Run the cheap VDOs instead

Ps the oil out put is a BPTF british pipthread fine1/8. There are adpaters cause those kits will not carry a direct hook up to the oil port. Also the water line is that way also. So if it dont fit dont just keep screwing it on.
My yellew car they just wedged the 1/8 NPTF in the oil port. Hate for it to break. But there is a chean Sun oil pressure meter hooked up to it. Just hope the taiwan line dont break on me. Ill keep the ORG datsun sender in the car in case a line breaks(loose all my oil)

scotth510

Post by scotth510 » 02 Jun 2004 14:04

I think you have misunderstood me Banzai, the gauges are made by autometer and the line is called autogage, just like they have pro-comp and street-comp lines of gauges. What I'm really interested in is the benefits and disadvantages of running mechanical or electronic gauges. Is one better than the other?
thanks for everyones help.
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796

sspikey

Post by sspikey » 02 Jun 2004 20:16

Autometer are pure utter bullshit i swear those fucken gauges are teash they always de-calibrate or have a prob but they look like ass. VDO are much better for the money. The best to me are the japanese gauges suck as Greddy, Hks, Apex-I

I am getting some more Defi BF series gauges soon. If any of you care to drool at them

http://www.munkywurks.com/archives/DSC01227.JPG ON

http://www.munkywurks.com/archives/DSC01228.JPG OFF

Yeah i know it looks wild they dont even look real in those pics but damnit these gauges are WILD and use Daily link chain

5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN » 02 Jun 2004 20:44

I think electrical gauges are better because you dont have to run any lines carrying hot oil or coolant or ...etc etc. into the interior of the car.
Spencer

scotth510

Post by scotth510 » 02 Jun 2004 20:49

Those are sweet ass gauges!! What type of vehicle are those in?What size are they? I haven't heard many bad things about autometer before you but I imagine Japanese gauges belong in Japanese cars, right! I should definitely look around for those and the others you listed. Also, what is a daily link chain? Look forward to reading your response.
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796

pokey

Post by pokey » 02 Jun 2004 22:24

The problem with mechanical guages (especially water temp) is that if you kink the line, the accuracy goes all to shit. As in sometimes, it stops going up, even though you're overheating. Never really trust them, since if it gets kinked once, even when you bend it back, there is no guarantee that it'll work. When going to mechanical oil guage, be sure to use a large enough capillary line. I read an article once, that the smaller you use, the more steady the reading will be, but also, you could be at 0 pressure for a couple seconds before the guage shows it. Oh and go for a Volt meter instead of an Ampmeter. Usually mechanical guages are cheaper, since for the electrical ones, you need to calculate in the sending units...

Going junk yard style, I hear that porsche 924/44 s have high quality VDO guages.
I'm not just a normal nerd. I've specialized.
I'm a "Car Nerd"

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 02 Jun 2004 23:01

I've used both mechanical Autometer and Stewart Warner gauges with great success in all my cars - it's the next thing every one of them gets right after the electronic ignition and IR alternator.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

turbo510sss

Post by turbo510sss » 02 Jun 2004 23:48

I am running autometer Ultra-lite gauges and the only machanical I am running is the oil pressure threw a praided hose. and then my water temp and everything elses is all electrical. i think the only machanical one you should run is oil pressure and then run the rest electrical. Just my 2 cents.

entix

Post by entix » 03 Jun 2004 02:06

i think the only one that SHOULDNT be mechanical is oil, for obvious reasons..

CP

Post by CP » 03 Jun 2004 07:17

If mechanical guages are installed properly they are probably a better choice as they provide a quick response to temperature or pressure changes.
Can someone tel me who sells VDO guages in the Greater Vancouver area. It appears Autometer is the only quality guage carried around here.

RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan » 03 Jun 2004 08:04

I've always used at least two mechanical guages (water temp. & oil pressure) in all my racing applications. I have always felt they are more reliable than electric guages and that their quality is generally better, but I can't substantiate it. The other thing I like is the water temp. still gives a reading even when the car is not running. This is helpful to monitor coolant temp. when using electric fans. Generally, you get what you pay for with guages, cheap guages are cheap. I am currently using the Autometer Sport-Comp line, they are available in 2 5/8" sizes which helps visibility for us old farts!!