Late model engines in 510s

78Wag

Late model engines in 510s

Post by 78Wag »

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but can anyone suggest a good late model (2000 and newer) nissan engine to stick in my 510. Please discuss pros and cons from weight to size (fit up) to power (ie will it twist my car into a prezzle). Also which cars are the best doners. I'm leaning maybe to a VG30 but I wanna exhaust the best resourse I can which of course in the510realm. Which cars have the VG30 in them? I know I've asked about a million questions in this post but I appreciate any response.

Peter
olskuul

Post by olskuul »

I think a VQ35 with a six spped will be good. 280hp and weighs probably as much as an L20 (dont quote me on that) but I've lifted a six speed above my shoulders by myself, and two people can pick up the longblock.
didget69

Post by didget69 »

Peter,

By my count, you've asked 4, maybe 5 questions in your post... 999,995~ish questions to go... :D

First questions should be:

1) What are you trying to achieve? Racing car/street car/show car/??

2) What are your mechanical capabilities? Will you be doing this project solo, or enlisting the services of a fabricator?

3) What is your realistic budget for said endeavour? Whatever amount you come up with, add 30-50% more for the "Oooops, Crap!!" faactor.

That being said, there are many options - You mentioned "2000 and newer Nissan" in your message - why so new? You do realize that you might be getting yourself into the Netherworlds of Newer Car Electronic Skulduggery, right? Are you prepared to chart new territory in swapping over the computer/sensors/etc that are a part of the newer engines?

Hope these questions help you to put pen to paper in order to see more clearly what your objectives are! Good Luck!

And as an answer to your question - many folks have gone with the VG30/SR20 & variants for options on more recent Nissan offerings.

regards,

Bryan in North Carolina (yep, I'm down South a ways...)
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

I've got the vg in my wagon and I love it.....that being said, it has very little aftermarket support in non-turbo form, and realistically the most HP I can see the vg30 developing without the aid of forced induction is probably around 190-200, and thats it....there's always nitrous, and in a 510 I think it would be easier to supercharge it than try hacking the turbo in, just more $$$$ to do the SC.
The sr20det has much more potential for megga HP, they make more power out of the box and are lighter, and with the turbo possibilities are endless....the only problem with the SR is availability, and initial cost of getting the ecu, engine, tranny, ect, where as the vg came in many cars here so you won't have any problem finding everything you need.

Also depends on what you are looking for in a car, my vg has great manners on the street and with a little more work I think I can squeak into the high 13's.
72fivedime

Post by 72fivedime »

sr is getting more affordable as we speak, all the drifting bandwagoners want em for thier 240s, parts are getting easier to obtain as the market for them increases
510rob

Post by 510rob »

if you want to go trick, put in a SR20VE, not a SR20DET...

The VE version of th emotor is the JDM "neo" version of the SR series that comes with an equivalent to Honda's VTEC. Apparently you can run pretty impressive HP numbers w/o a turbo...

just some food for thought...
68Datsun510

Post by 68Datsun510 »

Then run big VTC stickers to scare off the VTEC'rs
Sacramento Datsun Owners
~Visit Sacramento Datsun Owners on Facebook!
entix

Post by entix »

510rob wrote:if you want to go trick, put in a SR20VE, not a SR20DET...

The VE version of th emotor is the JDM "neo" version of the SR series that comes with an equivalent to Honda's VTEC. Apparently you can run pretty impressive HP numbers w/o a turbo...

just some food for thought...

i know for sure the sr20ve doesnt come in rwd form, i wonder how hard itd be to swap heads and make it work though?
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

Peter, I may be the odd man out, which I'm fine with, you really should exhaust the resources before you spend money, I'll testify that in four years, I've dropped closer to ten grand at my car just playing, and it's still a peice of junk (not really) but I could've spent money more effectively, Every one will tell you something different, but if yer car is stock it'll absorb as much money as you can throw at it to upgrade the suspension, brakes, steering components and driveline, and then the car has to look pretty and make power, it has to make at least 500 to keep up on this forum, If I were to go back and do it again, I'd still be happy with my L20b, cause that's what I wanted. I drove my dime with the l16 in it for the first two years and loved it, as an antique car it rocked! I felt good about it......and then I learned how to go on the internet.....it ruined everything.
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

Peter, I may be the odd man out, which I'm fine with, you really should exhaust the resources before you spend money, I'll testify that in four years, I've dropped closer to ten grand at my car just playing, and it's still a peice of junk (not really) but I could've spent money more effectively, Every one will tell you something different, but if yer car is stock it'll absorb as much money as you can throw at it to upgrade the suspension, brakes, steering components and driveline, and then the car has to look pretty and make power, it has to make at least 500 to keep up on this forum, If I were to go back and do it again, I'd still be happy with my L20b, cause that's what I wanted. I drove my dime with the l16 in it for the first two years and loved it, as an antique car it rocked! I felt good about it......and then I learned how to go on the internet.....it ruined everything.
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

......and then I learned how to go on the internet.....it ruined everything
HA HA HA - classic!!!
sr20ve doesnt come in rwd form, i wonder how hard itd be to swap heads and make it work though?
I've heard of successful swaps where people have put the VE head onto a DET or DE lower end, but of course this is the internet, and there are people here saying they have 700+ lb/ft on our own forum, and that seems ridiculous to me...
perfectchoicemotorsports

Post by perfectchoicemotorsports »

Just bought a SR20DET/tranny/Harness today for $1350. that included the shipping to my door!

Kevin
510rob

Post by 510rob »

in the 'states or Canada? Is that US currency, or Canadian currency?
perfectchoicemotorsports

US and Dollars

Post by perfectchoicemotorsports »

US and Dollars
510rob

Post by 510rob »

is it in good shape? lemme guess, it's an S15 with a 6-speed and you got a torsen R200 with it, and it's got 2 kilometers on it, and a brand new T67 GReddy turbo kit with it that's never been looked at yet...

(ha just joshin')