Reliability of a 510?

Straight Six

Reliability of a 510?

Post by Straight Six » 12 Oct 2010 23:46

How reliable would A 510 be for my only car? Drive to school the store everywhere? I have plenty of mechanical and machining experience/capabilities but would want something I didn't have to spend to much time on until I graduate and put some power under the hood. :D

Thnx

Creepy Cruiser

Re: Reliability of a 510?

Post by Creepy Cruiser » 13 Oct 2010 01:32

There are a lot of factors. (it's kind of like asking "how long is a piece of string?", lol)

What motor?
What suspension?
How nice or trashed is the car too start with?
Etc...?

I daily drove one of my dimes for many years, and the only issues I had, were few and far between. (like alternator, starter, tires, brakes, etc...), just normal wear and tear stuff like you would have with any car.

A good L motor will run forever, and a properly installed KA is great.

I'd still daily drive my dime, if it didn't snow like crazy here every year.
This is why they call me Creepy.
The Creepy Cruiser ( My Bagged 65' Caddy Hearse), AND YES, "I DRAG THE HELL OUT OF IT." LOL. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/753364

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 13 Oct 2010 06:56

Mr. Cruiser has covered the main bases. A 510 can be a very reliable DD. It can also be a tempermental POS. Virtually all 510s have been reliable DDs for significant periods of their life.

More specifics from you will help us answer your true questions.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

Grajeda

Post by Grajeda » 13 Oct 2010 07:46

Straight Six wrote:How reliable would A 510 be for my only car? Drive to school the store everywhere?....

I dd my 510, school/friends/store. it still needs work but it still works for my daily driver. but sometimes i miss the luxury rides, since riding in a 40 year old car with no stereo can be tiring.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 13 Oct 2010 08:20

Also understand that "reliable DD" does not equate to "maintenance-free." No 510 will be a "reliable DD" in the same vein that a 2005 Honda Civic is a reliable DD.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

James

Post by James » 13 Oct 2010 10:51

I am currently DD'ing mine. I don't commute far - 3 miles - but do a lot of around town stuff. About a tank of gas a week. If your car is in good tune - it shouldn't be a problem. I typically go through tune up stuff at least once a month - timing, points (I know - but they work!), bolt check etc. I also adjust valves fairly regularly etc. Its usually not the driveline that is a problem. Alternators, starters, water pumps, clutch and brake hydraulics etc. - but no more than a typical car (maybe even less than some of the newer ones!) If you have decent troubleshooting skills, carry basic tools with you (including spare fuses) you should be in great shape. I also recommend having AAA or otherwise - makes it no big deal when your clutch slave goes out and you need to get home.
Its also the best way to work out kinks on your car - it will force you to do it :D
Finished is better than perfect......

James

Post by James » 13 Oct 2010 12:32

Grajeda wrote: I dd my 510, school/friends/store. it still needs work but it still works for my daily driver. but sometimes i miss the luxury rides, since riding in a 40 year old car with no stereo can be tiring.
Stereo? You're talking about stereos? How about heat, A/C, windows that actually seal, floors that have metal on them, seats with complete covering? :) What's wrong with AM with a sunburnt speaker in the dash?
I do love pulling into my kid's school in my semi-beater 510, and getting all of the thumbs up from the people in their carreras, bentleys and royces. I definitely feel I am on the right side of the tracks in the Datsun...... :mrgreen:
Finished is better than perfect......

hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 » 13 Oct 2010 12:59

the sedan isnt really a DD as traffic is killer
so ill take the long way!!! = canyons

reliabilty remains the task of the owner, the better the upkeep, the higher the reliability
James wrote: I do love pulling into my kid's school in my semi-beater 510, and getting all of the thumbs up from the people in their carreras, bentleys and royces.
isnt this great?!?!

my son likes it more than i do!!!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.

indy510

Post by indy510 » 13 Oct 2010 13:12

When my parents dropped me off to school in the late 80s.....

NO ONE thought our rusty POS 510 was "cool"...... .. it was always the shittiest car,,,, and all the kids made fun of it

I tried to daily my 510 in high school,,,,, , but again everyone thought it was a POS.... (they were kinda right... :roll: )

After 3 years of "trying" to daily drive it........ I would say a Honda would have been cheaper

I still have a hard time seeing 510s being SO popular,,,,, , I liked it better when it was a Piece of Sh..... wait..... it still is..... :lol:

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 13 Oct 2010 13:22

James wrote:What's wrong with AM with a sunburnt speaker in the dash?
Not a damn thing. :lol:

Grajeda

Post by Grajeda » 13 Oct 2010 15:06

James wrote:
Grajeda wrote: I dd my 510, school/friends/store. it still needs work but it still works for my daily driver. but sometimes i miss the luxury rides, since riding in a 40 year old car with no stereo can be tiring.
Stereo? You're talking about stereos? How about heat, A/C, windows that actually seal, floors that have metal on them, seats with complete covering? :)
That doesnt bother me, its a my 510 :D
="James]What's wrong with AM with a sunburnt speaker in the dash?
Dont have that either. Loud smoking exhaust is the only music to my ears :D

Creepy Cruiser

Post by Creepy Cruiser » 13 Oct 2010 15:31

The dime I drive right now, I bought 23 years ago, and except for a few of years were I drove a newer car (with A/C, power everything, big stereo, etc...), I've been driving it. Now with a very nice KA swap, nice seats, power windows, new bushings, etc., (and still no stereo, lol), I try to drive it every day. Now my newer car with all the toys, just sits, while I go out and have a blast driving what I was meant to be driving.

If you're meant to drive a dime, it's really built into your DNA, lol.
This is why they call me Creepy.
The Creepy Cruiser ( My Bagged 65' Caddy Hearse), AND YES, "I DRAG THE HELL OUT OF IT." LOL. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/753364

indy510

Post by indy510 » 13 Oct 2010 15:43

Creepy Cruiser wrote:If you're meant to drive a dime, it's really built into your DNA, lol.
I guess I wasn't "meant" to be a dime "driver"............. :lol:

Straight Six

Post by Straight Six » 13 Oct 2010 16:12

First of all, a old rusted beater is way way way cooler to me then any pristine trailer queen.

Now the laundry list of ?'s...

-My biggest concern would be availability of parts, say if my alternator goes bad will i be out of a car for 2 days or a week?(also prices of parts-say compare them to a old honda civic?)

-I would want something completely stock or nearly stock, till i get out of school and have money/time (god knows when that could be!)

-If i got something, all mechanical/electrical were original, what about old rubber or wires that just has corroded over the years?

-*uneducated ?* leaded gas to unleaded, did the switch happen before, during or after the 510?something i need to worry about?

-Prices?! Could someone give me a guide of the basic outlines...
*Barely running?
*Good for DD?
*Good for a car show?

Btw my other question was just a question of interest.
Thanks again :D

defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes » 13 Oct 2010 16:17

You have a Pep Boys or equivalent near you? Major parts houses carry ALL Datsun/Nissan parts, starters, volt regulators, fuel pumps etc. So that is no reason not to DD one, it's the overall condition and reliability of those parts that you and others have mentioned that become the difficulties.