Weber carb linkage

brad8401

Re: Weber carb linkage

Post by brad8401 »

Well got the stock linkage rigged up, but it is not very reliable and i would not drive it around, but have some ideas on how to make it more reliable, but no i think my fuel pump is going out, cause no matter how much i adjust the mixture, it just smells so strong of fuel while the car is idealing, and im getting back fires, and back fires and pops coming out the top of the carb, so im gunna get a fuel pressure gauge and see if the pump is good or not, and hopefully that will clear some things up.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

brad8401 wrote: so im gunna get a fuel pressure gauge and see if the pump is good or not, and hopefully that will clear some things up.
Hey, ho, slow down there a sec. Lots easier ways to check for a functioning fuel pump.

Pull the fuel hose from your carb inlet and direct it into a fuel-safe container. Get a friend to turn the key while you observe the fuel flow into the container from the pump. If you've got a good stream of fuel, you're GTG.

Your symptoms don't particularly tell of a dying fuel pump (and if it is an original mechanical fuel pump with screws (known as the "screw top" pump) then failure is a rarity). Your symptoms seem to point to overfueling, or a sunk float, and bad timing/ignition.

Do you have the plastic spacer between the head and the fuel pump? If not, this may cause the pump to generate excess pressure. You may not have the float level set properly, or a bad float, or bad jet. Any or all will allow excess fuel into the engine, resulting in fuel smell.

Pops out the carb tend to be caused more by improper timing. Do you have a timing light?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

Well first thing, if i sound like i dont know what im taking about, it is because i have never worked on older cars, or even touched a carburator in my life, i have always worked on fuel injected cars, a little more simple than carbs.

I dont know if there is a plastic space on the fuel pump, didnt check, the carb i have is a brand new weber that is for my stock motor, i only said that cause the only thing i can think of is that the fueld pump is pumping to much fuel, cause the carb is new, and that was my only thought on why the car seemed to me was running way to rich no matter how much i was messing with the mixture, but i will make sure i check those things, and also at the same time im a big noob to this, this is my very first old project car, with knowing such little about the car andits engine, but im taking everyones addvice and hints and help, im very thankfull of it, i will check those things in the morning and see what happens, and to my knowledge when i bought this car it had the original motor, and the guy before him supposely daily drove the thing, and the car had been sitting for about a year before i got it, and i dont have a timing light but i can get one and see if the timing is right or not.
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

And just another thing i tuned the carb by the book weber sent with the carb, they said adjust the idle mixture and idle speed and that is pretty much it, but im sure with the car have sitting for more than a year, timing may be off, and alot of parts could be bad as well.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Ah. Okay. A couple of things. First, your carb may be new, but it won't be set up for your specific engine, and just because it is new doesn't mean that things like float levels were set properly at the factory.

Second, nearly nothing a previous owner (PO) will tell you will be accurate.

Third, it is good to tell us things like "been sitting for about a year" and such at the beginning. Your original post (OP) sounds like you just put a new carb on it and it had a different linkage style, not that you just got the car and it hadn't run in a year, etc. There's a different troubleshooting process to go through on cars that have sat for so long.

For instance, you could have year-old gas, which would give no end of running problems. You could have a engine in a poor state of tune, or a poor running engine. Think about why the car had sat for a year (or more, who knows?). There had to be a reason, and could have been a running issue.

There's also a lot more to the Weber DGV than idle speed and mixture.

So, let's start at the beginning. Here are some suggestions for new 510 owners:

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12575

How to tune the Weber DGV for 510 use:
http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/arti ... uning.html

You'll need a timing light. And while you're out you might as well get a new set of NGK BP6ES plugs, wires, rotor, cap, points, oil, filter, etc. You'll definitely need a service manual (I recommend one in the Suggestions thread). If the DGV has a glass sight, check to see where the float level is, and read up on how to adjust it. Perform the fuel pump test I outlined above, but I'd count on it being okay.

Essentially you're going to need to start from scratch, both to eliminate other possible causes of rough running and to start to get a handle on working on old cars. As you may have noticed, it's way different.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

K, i have already changed the plugs and and plug wires, and i have also thought that it could be the gas, cause it smells like gas that has been sitting for a long time, and the exhaust is blowing out some thick black tar looking stuff, i changed the oil, but the radiator could use a flush, i have a Haynes guide the kid gave me with the car, i will check out ur guide and replace a few more things, and do some more adjustments, and i think i will drain the gas and get some new gas, and if that will make things better
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

It's a start, but you'll need that timing light as well. The black stuff out the exhaust is carbon buildup. Engine's been running rich for some time.
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

K cool i will get a timing light and adjust the timing, and then mess with the mixture, cause from lastnight im sure it is way out of wack
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Check your float level before you check your mixture or you'll have to re do that again.
Jason
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

Would anyone have or know of a link to adjusting the float level on the weber's? I have seen on youtube how to adjust on a holly carb, but i dont know if it would be different on the weber or not.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'd have to imagine it would be in your manual.
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

Well i will check it when i get home, but im pretty sure in the tuning part of the guidw from weber said just to tune the idle speed the mixture, but i will read over it again.