Aftermarket headlights

mrmarkus

Aftermarket headlights

Post by mrmarkus » 23 Jul 2004 10:38

Are there any good aftermarket replacement headlights for the 510? I've seen some xenon ones on ebay but is there anything i can find locally? (van island) My lights really suck right now. I'm not sure if its just a problem with poor connections and ground but i would like to get some nice aftermarket ones anyways if they are around. Thanks.

supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan » 23 Jul 2004 11:31

Using stock wiring, Bosch has an H4 conversion kit.
Includes two 5 3/4" flat front headlight cases and two Osram 55/60 watt h4 bulbs. Runs about $115 at Lordco. Don't know if it's a good idea to run crazy bulbs on the stock wiring, but if you need to you can always rewire stuff. Hella also makes a flat front glass case for H4 bulbs.
And of course, there is always the BMW H1 conversion. I think most BMW headlight stuff is made by Hella too. This is a custom job. Here's a step by step installation by a guy in the states. Looks pretty clean:

http://www.mikeb510.com/

On that page there is also a link to Michael Spreadbury's take on the BMW headlight conversion. I think he was the first that I know of that did this project, and his work is pretty much perfect. Both good articles.

Boaty

Post by Boaty » 23 Jul 2004 14:03

Too Intense Restoration sells an H4 Conversion kit. However they do not have the wiring harness upgrade (DEFINETELY RECCOMENDED!) availiable with the kit as far as I know. They come with domed front cases, 100W+ bulbs (hence the wiring requirements) and they look damned sweet. I have pictures of them on my 510 if you'd like.

$50 or so + shipping.
http://datsunrestore.com/h4_bright_white_kit.html
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE

supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan » 23 Jul 2004 15:49

"This is a plug in and go kit, no modifications needed. "
"These lamps are powered by H4 Xenon Hyper-White 60/55-watt replacement bulbs"
"56.95 per pair"

Too Intense Restoration is a too intense ripoff anyways.

Boaty

Post by Boaty » 23 Jul 2004 16:52

Yeah.
The 50/60 bulbs made my fuse box heat up like a mo'fo. Never had a problem with the dimmer switch with them, but after awhile, there was enough resistance in the wires to cause the passenger side headlight to go dim on me. Changed a fuse, and they worked just fine. Not hot enough to blow the fuse, however hot enough to make the plastic around the copper terminal's melt and let the copper drop into a wierd sort of position.

The lights, however, were brighter than shit. I'd love to see how they look given they had bosch relays and you had an alternator big enough to power them efficiently.

If I remember right, the 100/130W bulbs draw 19-22amps per bulb, so times that by two and add all the other bulbs, brake lights, side markers, and you're well over the stock alternator's output, even higher than my bigger 50A z-car alternator. Now add my nice little stereo, which draws 15A + 48A and now you're closing on the hundred amp mark.

I Have a rebuilder in town holding my alternator for me (got laid off, then later fired, and can't pay for it, so he said he'd hold it for me 'til I had the money... nice guy!), it's a regular hitatchi type case, it'll require two 2mm shims plus whatever I'll need for pulley alignment, it'll also be braced from the engine stand hook with my little makeshift "Whatever works" routine (probobly plumber's tape!). It's internally regulated, 140A. I assume that'd be PLENTY. No more dimmin' headlamps... and that stupid VR isn't going to fail and cause my battery to gas anymore, either.

But yeah, the lights that I got work really nice, just needed more power.

The price for the kit is actually pretty reasonable, considering other light kits go for more than that, and don't include bulbs. Price a pair of (good...) H4/9003 bulbs and I bet it'll come to about $30 bucks minimum, and for the ub3r spendy hyper-purple type bulbs (like in the new Bimmers) probobly about $60 USD a set. Cheaper online, prolly.

Personally I like my $8 specials... they work fine.
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE

mrmarkus

Post by mrmarkus » 23 Jul 2004 17:27

yeah thoes look nice but they are really expensive, I just need something brighter because i'm driving out though dark backroads everynight where there is a streetlight every 500 feet. its scary when you dont see the eyes of the deers untill they are 10 feet in front of the car.

dynobones

Post by dynobones » 23 Jul 2004 18:04

there are many shells available under different names that take h-4 bulbs, cibie bosch hella lucas marchal carello, find them on ebay or at value village, flea markets, junkers auto salvege, then go to the junk yard and rape vw's or bmw's for the relays, the four prong ones with 85,86,87 and 30 on'em. then you need a bunch of wire,12 and 14 gauge. You canmake the harness very easily, with the help of the dimequarterly article, which I can scan in if you don't have it, only I couldn't et it to work at firt so I cut the old relay off and switched the high beam relay power to ground, youll see what I mean if you look at the diagram, you can also buy two relays at canadian tire 30 amp ones for like 5 to seven bucks apeice depeding on if they are generic or hella. Oh yeah, I put marchal 7" spots on my car there are many a dark road here.
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.

Boaty

Post by Boaty » 23 Jul 2004 20:07

Hehe, in Shasta I saw a couple people with actual 5.75 "super thin" fog lights under their bumpers... looks like regular lights, only kewler.

And I really, really want some nice foglights for my car. :(
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE

Ratsun

Post by Ratsun » 23 Jul 2004 22:31

I have the 100 watt driving lights in the middle and h4's on the outside nothing like seeing down the road for miles.

supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan » 23 Jul 2004 23:21

Uh dude, those aren't driving lights. Those are aircraft landing lights.

banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) » 24 Jul 2004 01:39

Best to use relays, Use the stock wireing as a trigger
Seen to many Hack wire jobs and wonder why the car dont run with all those wire repair jobs

I run the hella 500s(the big round ones)55watt and my stock alternator cannot take it with all accerories ON.
On my 521 truck I have a 50amper on there and it seems fine.
Get a VDO volt meter so you can monitor the out put of the alternator(screw amp gauges)

sspikey

Post by sspikey » 24 Jul 2004 06:26

ok check this out guys: i have no heating of any sort or any fan or anything its all gone. how can i tell if i have a bigger alternator i mean the thing looks new and is polished i just dont know if its oem or not
i have no sound system neither. Would a lighting system like Ratsun kill my alternator? i was thinking of going HID in a few weeks if i get H4 housings

banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) » 24 Jul 2004 09:50

Persoanlly I would think you get cold more often that needing 100watt headlites if running no heater or heater fan(windows FOG up)

On one of my 510s IM still running a 35amp alternator but I have a mount drill out to 3/8 so I can run the 50 amper externa regl alternator

If you still have a L16 and your bolts going thry are the 12mm head then I think its the 35amper.
If running a L18 or a L20 they usally cam witha 50amp or maybe 60ampers. Around the first gen 200sx they went with a IR type(internal reg)

I persoanlly think 80 watts is good enough.
Shit i think my55watts are good enough to light up the signs down the road then maybe get some better stock lights that that wont melt the wireing.

Persoanlly I hate people who run to brite a light even on low beam

Getting a good volt meter (VDO. Autometer)will help you see the load on the alternator. Then you can make a decision on a bigger. Some people go with a one wire GM alternator. They are a self exciting alternator so once it reaches a certain speed it will start charging. You have to do some shorting(where the regualtor hooks up) on the plug or something to get the alternator light out on the dash

http://www.nwde.org/extras/forum/main.htm look under (510 )alternator upgrade for 72 510. A guy called yellowcar has a GM alternator and made a mount for it also

Ratsun

Post by Ratsun » 24 Jul 2004 10:25

supersportsedan, Ahh same diff they are bright, I am running a 80 amp one wire GM alternator. works great.

sspikey

Post by sspikey » 24 Jul 2004 17:43

haha i REALLY dont need a heater the joys of living downtown. The 510 comes out when the weather is perfect, no rain, no cold nothing just nice weather. the car doesnt reallty see any temps under ten degrees and for that i have a mini 12V plug in heater which i have never used :)