Strut inserts

leftme

Strut inserts

Post by leftme » 23 Jul 2004 19:42

I am looking for new front struts for my '72 510 2 door and I only seem to find "strut inserts." All I can picture is cutting off the top of the old strut and sliding the new insert inside the old tube. Am I crazy or does it work like this?

I am looking to upgrade the suspension for racing purposes, no street driving. I want to go with a coilover setup all around, any sugestions?

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 23 Jul 2004 19:56

No, you unscrew a large nut at the top of the strut and a replacement cartridge is inserted, after taking out the factory inards. Or, you can just change the oil by putting in 20w, or 30w or..depends on what you like the shock to feel like. If you are on a budget this actually does work just fine. Use Belray motorcycle fork oil. Just a thought.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

Boaty

Post by Boaty » 23 Jul 2004 20:12

Here's something I've been meanin' to ask, while on the subject...

Not sayin' I would do it, but yeah hear me out!

If you were to chop the coils (stock) down by like 4 coils, then spaced them up with isolator's//spacers, would it give you stiffer coils with less travel? Hehhee.

Just playin'.
I still need to find a set of modified 280zx struts tho, anybody have some for sale?!!!!!!!!
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE

banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) » 24 Jul 2004 01:29

aritka,
I dont suggest cutting 4 coils because you will bottom the strut shaft anyway. That is a Hack job like some of them Honda guys do. Hit a Bridge expansion joint and their car will fall apart.

Leftme,
Well look at the coil over kits. Dave Turner has some and maybe the place up in BC might know.
But I cant belive you said ,cut the tops off, unless you mean spring Perch.
Plus you need to know the strut lenght
Racing only means real stiff,But Too stiff is not good either on certain tracks
Coil over are more adjustable and maybe some better wheel options
But the BRE won on Macphersons and the new hondas are using them so thy must be OK.

I have a shortened 510 strut cut to use the 280zx(koni adj)inserts ans use Suspension Techniqes springs ( half coil cut in back)

datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak » 24 Jul 2004 08:32

banzai510(hainz) wrote: Coil over are more adjustable and maybe some better wheel options
But the BRE won on Macphersons and the new hondas are using them so thy must be OK.
Changing the set-up to an adjustable coil-over doesn't mean it's not a McPherson strut anymore. :wink:

And the new Civic uses them, because it takes up less space and is cheaper to make, Not because it's better. 8)

banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) » 24 Jul 2004 10:23

Your right they are cheaper.
But most 510 owners are too so the MacPhersons will work for most 510 guys anyway. Get the good Koni adjuastable shocks and you can dial it in pretty good for street driving. A good aggessive 510 driver will still out take a New Honda kid with his coil overs.
I persoanlly dont run a rear sway bar on my beater510. I just dialed the rear konis up harder. These KONIs work only on retraction. So when I take a corner the outer shock it fighting to keep it coming up.

My yellow car is too stiff and if I take a corner and hit a manhole the wheel pops up. Need a little more flexable on street. But you know this anyways.

Coil overs are fine on high out put cars. But I seen a few up here in Washington with nice coil overs setups and with a stock engine.(I dont get it) Most peolple want the look anyways. Now Iam older I dont push my car anymore to the limit(not many 510 left). So the standard set up is fine maybe move up to the 280zx for the brake option

leftme

Post by leftme » 24 Jul 2004 13:58

bertvorgon wrote:No, you unscrew a large nut at the top of the strut and a replacement cartridge is inserted, after taking out the factory inards. Or, you can just change the oil by putting in 20w, or 30w or..depends on what you like the shock to feel like. If you are on a budget this actually does work just fine. Use Belray motorcycle fork oil. Just a thought.
I figured my thinking was flawed, that's why I asked. I am very new to the world of 510's. I like the oil change idea, good for the budget. Any online guides as to how to do this or any problems to look for? My car does have the 11.5" struts up front so I guess I can't lower it too much.
banzai510(hainz) wrote:Leftme,
Well look at the coil over kits. Dave Turner has some and maybe the place up in BC might know.
I was looking at those and they seem to be a good solution, thanks.
But I cant belive you said ,cut the tops off, unless you mean spring Perch.
I was thinking that you would cut the top of the tube off, pull out the inards, put the insert in and weld the top back on. Guess not huh?
I have a shortened 510 strut cut to use the 280zx(koni adj)inserts ans use Suspension Techniqes springs ( half coil cut in back)
How did you do this, sounds like a good solution, as I would like to lower the front ~2" and not bottom out the strut.

Thanks for the replies
Clayton

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 24 Jul 2004 16:41

I believe there is a post already on this site where someone has useda variety of fork weight oils, and his outcomes are posted - take a search.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 25 Jul 2004 11:44

To be specific, depending on the spring rate you have, I would try 20W oil. This will give you a reasonable feel. Where are you located?
I used to run that weight all year (on the coast) and it was not too stiff in the winter, other than in extremely cold weather. As Byron said, check out the other posts.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law

leftme

Post by leftme » 25 Jul 2004 17:00

I live in Edmonton, and I don't plan on driving the 510 in the winter, unless I decide to do some ice racing! :D
I am planing on going with a 300# coilover spring.

Unfortunately I can't find the article that Byron mentioned. I don't know how far back the article was, but the search only went back about a year.

Clayton

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 25 Jul 2004 17:08

Hey Clayton, with that sort of spring rate I would try 15W. Then go for a drive on a reasonably bumpy road. If the front feels pretty good and not too "floaty", you're in the zone. You do not want a suspension so stiff that the shocks "mask" what is really happening.
Make sure you use the proper Fork oil and not engine oil. The fork oil is designed to be compatable with the seals and resists foaming. You can get Belray at just about any motorcycle shop.

Keith Law

vgwagon

Post by vgwagon » 25 Jul 2004 18:39

I used screaming eagle fork oil from harley daivdson's performance parts. I used the 50w and I couldn't budge the insert, so I mixed it with a lower weight until I could move the insert a little....I'll take a look at what the lower weight was when I get a chance, I also ran the 200sx strut with a cut 200sx spring. works good so far.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted