L20b vs. Z22

jovial_cynic
Supporter

L20b vs. Z22

Post by jovial_cynic »

i've been scouring websites for information on performance differences between certain engines, and i've come to a terrible conclusion:

a lot of people don't know what they're talking about.

in particular, i want to know the power output differences between the L20b adn the Z22. some sites say that the Z22 has more torque, some sites say that the L20b has more torque. they both agree that the L20b has a little more horsepower, but the amount is disputed.

so... if we can't rely on the data available, maybe somebody who's actually driven vehicles w/ both engines might be able to give some insight.

anybody?
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Z22 has fuel injection...GO Z22!
jovial_cynic
Supporter

Post by jovial_cynic »

well, this particular Z22 isn't a fuel injected one. the one i have access to comes off the truck. so... in carbed state, i'm not so sure it's a great deal.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

In that case an L20b may be the better option.
There is way more support, at least to my knowledge for L-series heads. (meaning headers, intakes, cams, etc)

But still, a FI Z22 would be a sweet daily driver.
wtf

Post by wtf »

L20B (1971 510 - 5-speed)(RWD)
93.8HP@4800rpm
119.5 ft-lbs@3200RPM
stock bore, rebuilt 10,000 miles ago. 9.8:1 compression ratio, measured 210PSI cylinder pressure on compression gauge. Mildly pocket ported "210" casting head, 42mm intake/35mm exaust valves, stock "U20" camshaft, L18 pistons, dual weber DCOE carbs with 30mm chokes. Electronic Ignition nissan factory distributer recurved for 18 deg initial advance, 35 deg total advance. Factory SSS L16 exaust manifold w/ custom lengthened 2-into-1 Y pipe to 2" exaust/turbo muffler

Z22E (1971 510 - 5-speed)(RWD)(Stock)
92.8HP@5300rpm
104 ft-lbs@2600RPM

L22 "hybrid" #2 (1970 510 - 5-speed)(RWD)
126.2HP@6100rpm
123ft-lbs@3500RPM
LZ22 block, reworked & ported L-series head, DAMB cam, Electramotive/TWM induction

The Z22S don't have EFI, Booo... But You were thinkin' of turboing it anyways, so it just means you buy one extra manifold, computer and wiring.... Which it would prolly come with anyways. The 2.2 has more power then the 2.0... STOCK. But then you gotta deal with mounting it and such which really isn't a big deal. Go LZ, it's got the most power and it's not like you'll be loosing out on EFI anyways.
jovial_cynic
Supporter

Post by jovial_cynic »

It looks like there's another Z22 locally, only this one is EFI. The guy is interested in my VG30ET, so maybe i'll swap w/ him. It'd be a partial trade, of course, so I've got to figure out what the trade value would be against the VG30.

Nobody seems to have an answer for how much boost the Z22 can handle before it becomes problematic. I saw a picture of a turbo Z22 a while back, but I can't find it, and there's no information attached to it.

Anybody got the info?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Check out the Events section. The blue Dodge Colt is powered by a turbo Z24 motor.

Here's another couple pics.
Attachments
Front corner.
Front corner.
DCP_1183.JPG (54.82 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
The turbo-charged Z24
The turbo-charged Z24
DCP_1184.JPG (57.9 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
rnorrish

don't forget Aircare.

Post by rnorrish »

Also, everyone remeber that it is next to impossible to pass anything bigger than a 1.8L carbed in Aircare, unless it's a fresh motor, and tuned very well. Malc's 2L failed this year, my Dad's 2L failed this year. I cheat, Byron cheats. There's ways around, but it's hard.

EFI is a sure bet usually.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
jovial_cynic
Supporter

Post by jovial_cynic »

well, i live in olympia washington, and there's no emissions laws here. it's weird, because of how environmentally friendly washington state claims to be... but whatever. no "aircare" or whatever over here.

rnorrish - where is that turbo Z24? i haven't gotten familiar enough w/ this new website. where is the "events" section? and are there any horsepower numbers listed?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

the Z24 is in the car...here in BC. It races at Mission and Seattle sometimes in Conference races. There is more pictures in the "510 Club of BC>Events" section.

It hasn't been dynoed, but is one of the more powerful cars out there. Approx 250+hp.
richard norrish
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

I'd think a stock Z22 would take around 6-8 psi. You also have to consider how the computer/EFI will work under boost.
jovial_cynic
Supporter

Post by jovial_cynic »

yeah, i've thought about the situation w/ the ECU. i'm considering one of those DIY ECU's, so i'll get to handle all of that myself. not positive yet.

250 horses out of the Z24, eh? hrm... interesting. my goal is right around 150 for now, so i've got to do some research on how to make that possible. my goals include: drivability, lightweight, quick throttle-response, and good low-to-mid range torque. if i can squeeze that out of the Z22e, that'd be cool... but i dunno if it's possible. i'll keep doing research. i may still get the Z22e for now, just so i can at least get the car on the road...
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Is it the Z22e, or Z22s which is EFI?
If you're considering doing the turbo definitly get the EFI one.
jovial_cynic
Supporter

Post by jovial_cynic »

well, the motor i have available to me is the Z22e. why is it such a big deal to go EFI w/ turbo? i always assumed that turbos were easier to deal with if working with a carbed motor.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

NOOO!!!! Oh the humanity....have you ever tried to tune a carb under NORMAL conditions? Jets in a turbo motor are usually not existent just to get enough fuel through, and if it leans out, BOOM, no motor without warning.
A fuel injection motor tunes itself to run at a proper mixture for the amount of air. You can still screw up though. Too small injectors, self programming, too much boost, etc.
richard norrish