has anyone done a mechanical trunk release

ajen68510

has anyone done a mechanical trunk release

Post by ajen68510 »

I would like to use a mechanical trunk release, as my lock will not fit in my glass trunk lid. Has anyone done this ? and if so, what cable and latch release did you use ? ............i almost stole the one out of my wife's 200sx, but she caught me with that look in my eye..............busted ! Damn, it would have been a perfect fit !
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hey Ajen68510.
How's it going? I dug up an old article I had cut out of Sport Compact Car magazine (Feb 1996) when a guy named Danny Creech used to have a monthly article called 510 Forum.

The article was on a solenoid trunk release. It has the little button you mount on the dash somewhere and then just press it to release the trunk. He ended up using the parts from a 1985 Ford Tempo GL and said "it could not have fit any better if it was made by Nissan for the 510"
The article is a full page and it would take me forever to retype it, and I do not have a scanner. I see if I can get it done and post it here or email it to you.

Let me know if you are interested.

Mike
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

I would love to make a mechanical release (non solenoid) out of a 200SX. How exactly would I go about doing that? What years 200sx can be used? Here's something that'd deter theft: Locking mechanical release! You have to unlock it before you can release it!

Clever, eh? Prolly' wouldn't work, but hey, why not? ;)
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

Mike wrote:Hey Ajen68510.
How's it going? I dug up an old article I had cut out of Sport Compact Car magazine (Feb 1996) when a guy named Danny Creech used to have a monthly article called 510 Forum.

The article was on a solenoid trunk release. It has the little button you mount on the dash somewhere and then just press it to release the trunk. He ended up using the parts from a 1985 Ford Tempo GL and said "it could not have fit any better if it was made by Nissan for the 510"
The article is a full page and it would take me forever to retype it, and I do not have a scanner. I see if I can get it done and post it here or email it to you.

Let me know if you are interested.

Mike
Thanks, i have a solenoid. the problem being is my battery is in the trunk.....and what if it goes dead ? So that is why i decided on mechanical.
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

;)

Hey, how hard is it to convert battery-to-trunk, anyways?
Just a matter of getting longer cables?
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

artika wrote:;)

Hey, how hard is it to convert battery-to-trunk, anyways?
Just a matter of getting longer cables?
That and a battery case. Available at any parts store. I used 4gauge Audio amplifier wire, as i did not want any power bleed from such a long cable.........probably overkill, but thats the way i have been doing the whole car !
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

4ga?!
Monster Cable has some 4 and 6-guage grounding cables, but I've never found it in bulk, and certainly not anywheres near long enough to swap a battery.!!!!

I doubt you'd get any powerbleed over that long of a cable, as long as you have secure connections and sheilded wire... amplifier grounding wire is relly overkill, but it won't hinder the performance any - so it's ok.

Maybe paint your case black, and put a "Veilside" sticker on it!
Then you could piss Tobie off with your ricer-battery. ;)

Mehehe..
By the way, you guys need to convince Tobie to come back to the forums. I dunno what's up with him, he won't not come back!
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

artika wrote:4ga?!
Monster Cable has some 4 and 6-guage grounding cables, but I've never found it in bulk, and certainly not anywheres near long enough to swap a battery.!!!!

I doubt you'd get any powerbleed over that long of a cable, as long as you have secure connections and sheilded wire... amplifier grounding wire is relly overkill, but it won't hinder the performance any - so it's ok.

Maybe paint your case black, and put a "Veilside" sticker on it!
Then you could piss Tobie off with your ricer-battery. ;)

Mehehe..
By the way, you guys need to convince Tobie to come back to the forums. I dunno what's up with him, he won't not come back!
well here's the first problem i encountered when i first set up the stereo, i got Alt. humm. So i did a few things, 1) changed to the Phoenix Gold 4ga. battery wire (shielded) 2) upgraded to PG triple shield twisted speaker wire, 12ga. 3) changed my amplifier interconnets to triple shield Zero point PG wires. All interference problems solved.
And the case is black......no stickers will come near my car !
Attachments
Shavers 510 stereo.JPG
Shavers 510 stereo.JPG (16.66 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

Welding cable works fine.. and if you havn;t noticed tobie hasn't been on the forum for soem time.. some ppl siad some rather uncalled for BS off the boards.
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

///FiveOneOh wrote:Welding cable works fine.. and if you havn;t noticed tobie hasn't been on the forum for soem time.. some ppl siad some rather uncalled for BS off the boards.
Yes but does Welding cable come in a Purdy Purple colour ? :lol: :lol: :lol: