L20B/SX Dogleg Info...

Boaty

L20B/SX Dogleg Info...

Post by Boaty »

Hey guys, I may be picking up an L20B w/ 5-speed SX tranny here shortly, and I need to know everything I am going to need to do to be able to drop them in my 2-door.

Right now, got an L16 w/ Stock 4-speed.

Tobie said I need to reverse the crossmember, and put the mount on the opposing side from stock, and maybe move it back a short distance, and it'd fit right.

As for the L20B swap, how am I going to be able to install it?

I was told to just reverse the passenger side engine mount, to clear the hood. Also told just to slot my current bolt-holes about 1/2" and it'd clear the hood.

Also, I found a site that said that the stock Datsun 1600 OHC valvecover was shorter than the DATSUN OHC/NISSAN OHC valvecovers, and using the 1600OHC would give me enough clearance to use stock mounts.

What's the truth guys? I need some professional input!

1.) How to mount an L20B
2.) Everything needed to install an SX Dogleg 5-speed.

Thanks in advance!
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Hey artika: I used the 1600 valve cover,no problem with clearence.I put the block brackets from the 1600 on the l20b block(not sure if that was nessasary)but it works
fine.motor fit on stock mounts no problem.The tranny I had a modifyed cross member from Specialy engineering,used slightly narrower bolts(good grade) and put them from the interior down into the crossmember and bolted up.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

if you can, file the bolt holes on the motor mounts to lower the engine till the oil pan just about touches the cross member. this lowers the center of gravity..it all helps. Then, when you have got it all in, make sure you check the drive shaft angularity. This is the angle of the tail shaft on the transmission relative to the angle on the differential. You should try for to be within 1/2 of a degree. This is what helps that really long driveshaft have as little vibration problems as possible. Trust me on this one! Measure the diff. first, then you can put washers under the tranny mount if you have to. I RAISED my diff. to get as much clearance as possible and played with the shims there too. Its a pain to do all this, but, well worth it to have the car so smooth at very high drive shaft speeds. Try and modify the cross member so it mounts in the same body holes, less bullshit. then you space the tranny mounting area where you need it. I wish I could show you a picture of mine. We did it so that the exhaust was as high into the body also. Less dragging on the ground. None on my car and it is LOW! I hope this helps some, very hard to describe without pictures. I need one of those new fangled digital camera. Keith
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

Oi! Oh well, I'll figure it out, I suppose.

I wish I had a good picture of a modified crossmember.

The mounts: Slotting the holes is what I already had planned, but for a supposed clearance issue with a valve-cover-to-hood. I was told that puttinga n L20B into your dime would cause hood-damage, so you had to reverse the mounts??? Or slot them so that they are about 1/2" lower or so, but not touching the crossmember. (Hope I don't have to pull the pan for any reason!
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Artika,I never reversed the mounts,Not sure about kieths car,but I can't even get my little finger between the crossmember and oil pan.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

"Hope I don't have to pull the pan for any reason!"

if its a stock L20B I believe you have to put on the L16 oilpan and pickup...
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

Well that's no biggy, bolt right up.

Found something out today: I have a FORD oil-dipstick....shit?

What is the stock L16 oil capacity, might I ask?!!!! I need to know!
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE