voltage regulator location

jonm1

voltage regulator location

Post by jonm1 »

i need some help i have been told that nissans have 2 voltage regulators 1 in the alternator and 1 some where on the car my problem is that i dont know where the 1 on the car is so can one can tell me where it is located or was i just misinformedthe symptoms that im having are that my volt meter only shows 10 volts the computer at the parts store shows that my battery is bad but im thinking alternator or maybe voltage regulator since it wont hold but 10 volts but i dont know any thing for sure
oh yea it on a 78 datsun 510 with an l20b and if any one can offer any more info it would be appreciated
wtf

Post by wtf »

Well, On a PL it's on the passenger strut tower right beside the battery. I think when they ask that, they're asking if it's internally regulated or externally. Externally would be it sitting on the strut tower, internally would be the alternator itself.

Since I'm not positive if it was IR or ER, look on the back of the alt, on the "T" connection that goes in there will either be an "N" and "F" beside it... Or an "S" and "L" S&L is Internal. N&F is External.

I know on '78 210's it was IR. so i'm sure yours is also.
jonm1

Post by jonm1 »

thanks tob i thought that sounded funny with 2 regulators but mine is internal i checked so now all that i have to figure out is to replace the battery or the alternator so what do you guys think im still confused
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

could be both...if you kill the battery all the time, or it's bad/weak, the alt can work too much and burn out.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Just drop a batt in from one of your other cars and see what it does. Either way i'm sure it's on it's way out so might just as well do that now...
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

If it's internally regulated, was the wiring harness changed to suit?? You may not be charging your battery all the time. The internal regulated units are self energizing - if you rev 'em high enough. So if you are driving around town, idleing and such, the alernator may not be doing anything!!
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Byron510 wrote:If it's internally regulated, was the wiring harness changed to suit?? You may not be charging your battery all the time. The internal regulated units are self energizing - if you rev 'em high enough. So if you are driving around town, idleing and such, the alernator may not be doing anything!!
....It's an HL510. Didn't they come with IR ?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Ahh, sorry, thought it was a PL .... that's a bit confusing here!! Yep, it was originally an IR unit, everything after '77 or so was.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.