CA18DET into dime

nismonotmugen

CA18DET into dime

Post by nismonotmugen »

Are there any write ups on the swap? Wire diagram? Does the wiring harness from the ca18det replace the stock harness because my stock harness is beat to death. The swap seems so easy except the wiring. Any help?
wtf

Post by wtf »

Do you already have the CA ?
nismonotmugen

Post by nismonotmugen »

I'm buying it within a couple of weeks along with the maddat kit.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Sweet deal.
nismonotmugen

Post by nismonotmugen »

I just want to get all my info and stuff together first.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

You'll have to use bits of both harnesses. You wont want to ditch your 510 'engine' harness becuase it controls more then just the engine - wipers, washers, headlights, horn etc.

You'll want to kind of merge the to wiring harnesses. You'll mainly be getting 'feeds' from the 510 harness and plugging that into the CA harness.

You'll have to try and get some decent CA wiring diagrams so you can see what needs to go where. You could try the dealer, or maybe get a workshop manual. I'm not sure where you live...if you're in North America you might have trouble getting one.

Good luck,
nismonotmugen

Post by nismonotmugen »

Thanks for the help. BTW im in the US so I guess it will be hard trying to find the diagrams. I'm going to try the some of the austrailian pulsar sites.
ca18_datto

Post by ca18_datto »

Check out my website http://www.turbophile.com for some info on the swap - under 'our cars' and then 'Charlotte's datsun 1600' Wiring diagrams can be found at http://www.datnet.org in the technical section. If you need more info let me know ... ;)
Cazzzidy

Post by Cazzzidy »

Is a CA swap a considerably better fit than the SR?
ca18_datto

Post by ca18_datto »

The CA's have a much smaller physical size than the SR, so there's more clearance around the motor for fitting intercooler/radiator etc. Fitwise though, they're much of a muchness, still needing the reversed crossmember, modified gearbox crossmember, steering link, swaybar, tailshaft etc.
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

Sounds like a lot of work to me. I guess when I get more experienced and brave, I might consider that when I get my 510.. engine swapping I mean.

As far as the wiring harnesses, I suppose one could do the same as what I plan on doing to mine.. make your own. If you know how to work with wiring pretty well, and can make it look clean, I would just get the different color wiring, make it all yourself, and make relay-boxes with some GFI's, just incase you short out. Fuses, don't ALWAYS work when you want them to... I learned that on a few stereo installations I've done. One, in a brand new BMW 7 series, which cost me a good 100 bucks to fix the crap that got burned up. (talk about hell to work on..)

Just rip out your stock wiring harness, see what is different from it, and the CA wiring harness, and compare them. Which will need to be changed? Which will need to be added? What will need to be removed or capped off? Something else, you could install some custom guages and abolish the stock idiot lights, and then it'll make it much easier if you're comfortable with that.

I've done a few wiring things in my lifetime, which isn't that long.. 16 years, and I've learned a lot, and screwed a lot of things up in the process. Make sure your connections are correct, make sure you cut to the appropriate length, and if it's too short, don't add a section, just rip the short one out and make a whole new one of the correct length. You'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Now, if they would just make smog control BS a bit easier...

Hardest thing I've ever done was re-route an EGR (Exhaust Gas Residue) sensor off of a catalytic converter, which I removed from my dad's 1990 Chevy 4x4. Since it had a computer, it was a bit harde than I thought, and, would you believe that it was ALL VACUUM?! Everything... rubber vac. hoses ON TOP of the exhaust pipe. In the end, we just capped it off and it worked just fine.

Hehe.. some insight......
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE