the BEST DIY rear cross member?

zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Byron, any possible updates on how the 2nd version brackets are coming along.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

hey all.

quick update. they're drawn up - but haven't been sent out. i have a few details to clean up before that happens. time at work the past two weeks for doing "governmental" stuff has been lacking. we were busy, then i went ice racing, then i missed two days dealing with pain, and now it's Friday again and I'm playing catch-up with another dentist appointment in the afternoon.

it looks like i'll be going in on Saturday - the CAD part will be done and sent away. hopefully the turn around will be quicker than last time.

sorry for the delay, it sounds like quite a few people are waiting for outcome.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

sounds good, sorry rnorrish guess i should give you some credit too and ask both of you how they are coming along. I am very interested in the brackets, possibly the best design i have seen other than the datsport kit.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm just as interested in getting a set on a car!
I'll/we'll keep you posted with any changes.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

rnorrish, byron any possible updates on how the 2nd version is coming along? Just checking its been awhile, i guess a week since rnorrish said the brackets were being cut last saturday maybe.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Rich is up racing this weekend; he'll be back tomorrow night.
I'll fire him an email. As soon as he has cut the pieces out, I'll need to make the jig to bend them. Then we are ready for a trial. I'll keep you posted. I'm just as eager to see them! I just want to make sure they are right and will work for everyone’s application.
Byron
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Byron, any updates on those brackets? Your obviously busy with getting the bronze running and all but just checking up again. I need to get the insane amounts of negative camber out of the rear. I guess while your finishing up on your car and the brackets better start getting a crossmember cleaned up and ready for them. sorry if i seem pushy but that negative camber is killing what traction i could have and need with the ka. thanks again though, whenever there ready i guess.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

I just got back from dropping off all the bits to Byron. They weren't in my hands for mare than 4 hours, so i don't have any pictures.... There is one set, and some stuff to build the forming jig, and it sounded like he would be starting them soon. Then the test car will be equipped while he is gone from what i understood.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Sounds good, you guys should definatly go through with possilby mass producing a few of these brackets. They are, I believe, a very great design, the best i have seen without spending too much, sometimes simpler is better. I guess we will see how they work put together. i would buy a couple sets for futrue use!
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'll get photos posted tomorrow. I hope to build the jig to bend them at the end of the week.
I will be gone for two or three weeks, and I hope that they can be installed and tested while I'm gone.
If it gets the green light, we'll be making a few sets, no problem.
I'll keep you all posted. As Rich said, he drove them over to my place as soon as he had them in his hands. I'll do my best to get them turned around an in a car. The test car is off the road and ready, I'm told.
Byron
510rob

Post by 510rob »

hmmm, top secret test cars, off the road? what are you guys planning here?!?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

World Domination!
Pinky and The Brain
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

You can have the world.........I'll just settle for a set of brackets :D .!!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

muwahahaha!!!

and the brackets will have brain washing capacities.... that's why i'm switching to a wagon...
doh, shouldn't have said that part out loud.

but really, they look like they shoudl work well, as long as i got all the lines in the right places.
richard norrish
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

No updates to post yet. Work has been crazy busy this past week - how dare thewy make me actually work...at work!
Anyways, this up coming weeks doesn't look so good either. I may be headed for Portland to help out the Tacoma based shop with a pile of work. Not sure when I'll be back, but I think the week will be a write off as far as progress is concerned on the version 2 bracket. And it's possible that when I do return from stateside, I'll be shipped to Montreal for a couple weeks. I'm hoping that doesn't pan out either, but it's a possibility at the moment.
I really want to see this version 2 bracket finished, and on Yenpit's car!!!
Byron