the BEST DIY rear cross member?

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I promised some photos the other day. I was out on a service call, didn't get the chance.
So here they are. McShagger is coming over tonight; we'll be installing these very mounts on his X member. I'll take pics and post them. Hopefully the whole works will get painted and installed very soon so that we can determine that everything is correct. This would be a good 5/10 Day item to celebrate if all goes well!
Keep you posted.
Byron
Attachments
DSCN7459 (Small).JPG
DSCN7458 (Small).JPG
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Why not use 2 short bolts in the pivot location? I would just think it would give you twice the security in losing your caster adjustment.

I wish I hadnt been in such a hurry to get mine done, those look great.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

What is missing in the upper photo is that there will be a tube installed in the U shaped piece of the mount. The pivot bolt will then be tightened down, providing a bit of extra clamp. The tube will obviously prevent the U shaped bracket from collapsing on itself.
Also, the M10 bolt in the pivot location will not be the one used in the final assembly. For a start, it’s not plated (instant rust); that bolt was placed there just for this photo as to give an idea of what the assembled part looks like. There will be a loner, plated bolt in it's place on the final installation, along with serrated lock washers to help prevent anything from moving in the final assemble in the car.
I will order the nuts and bolts very soon, and will post what I find. I'm still choosing the best pieces I can find, but I'll be buying them in bulk (large quantities) so I want to make sure I have the right item. :D
Thanks for your comments defdes, I could always send you a set when they are done, call it an X member upgrade! You could always sell the one you made over the winter! But I know, doing something twice just doesn't feel good. How did your mounts work in the end? Did you get the adjustment that you were after?
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It was a productive 510 day.
Here are pics of the rear camber/toe adjustable brackets that will be available. Not sure on price yet, I'll post that soon.
There are two photos showing the bracket welded to the X member and one pic showing maximum toe in and minimum camber settings at the same time. It works awesome, and has a smooth action in the range of both adjustments.
I hope to see this installed on McShaggers turbo car very soon, and I will post the range of adjustment. The bracket was designed to get 0 degrees camber on a really low car, while being able to dial in up to 1/2" total toe in at the same time if desired. I will verify these numbers when this X member gets painted and installed.
It looks very good for now.
Thanks for the help of James, Rob and Ray last night; it was a bit of a late one! But a good 510 Day just the same.
Byron
Attachments
This shows maximum toe in condition with minimum camber setting simultaneously. It's unlikely that many users will have this extreme of a set up, especially on the toe side of things. But it's good to know that the range of adjustment is available.
This shows maximum toe in condition with minimum camber setting simultaneously. It's unlikely that many users will have this extreme of a set up, especially on the toe side of things. But it's good to know that the range of adjustment is available.
DSCN7474 (Small).JPG
Close up of bracket. The final product will be offered with a spreader tube that will slide over the top pivot bolt to eliminate the crushing effect on the bracket.
Close up of bracket. The final product will be offered with a spreader tube that will slide over the top pivot bolt to eliminate the crushing effect on the bracket.
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

looks great byron, excellent work to all who had a part in the design. Looks like every thing will hold up with no problems. I like the fact how the bracket wraps around to the bottom of the cmember. Did you tig weld that all up?
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The design is definitely all mine – an extension of what I’ve made by hand in the past on manual mills. However, Rich did all the mods on the CNC program for these laser cut bits; all three versions that got us to this final product, Rob and James were here doing the grinding/fitting work with me, I think all of our hands were holding something in place on the bench while Ray started tacking it all together. Rob and I love to weld, but Ray's also a qualified man; I worked on his RB26 bits while he TIG'd the pieces together. It was good group effort last night, and we were just leaving at 10:30. A good way to spend 510 day.
Byron
BACARDI_DWB

Post by BACARDI_DWB »

Byron, That looks awesome. cant tell but are those locknut washers? or are those just mockup hardware to see if it will all work. what grade hardware do you plan on using. that looks very professional.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yep, as I mentioned above, that hardware was there just to take the photo. The pivot bolt isn't even long enough for use!
I will supply a better design lock washer that that pictured, as those are fine for not letting nut and bolt back off, but do little to help hold the bolt in place.
Bolt grade will be 8.8 (metric, similar to SAE grade 5)), there's no need for a higher grade bolt (like a M 10.9 or SAE grade 8 or better), as a harder bolt is less resistant to shock loading. They may be higher tensile strength, but they should not be used in a repeatedly shock loaded environment. The 8.8 is a good choice for this application.
Byron
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Byron everthing was coming together it looked like, did progress get halted for some reason? Is it on the test car yet?
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

They are not on the test car yet, but bench tests prove that these brackets will work for stock to extremely low applications for reducing negative camber and increasing toe in for stability.
I placed an order to cut out 15 sets this past week.
I also ordered boxes of hardware that will be needed. I do intend to have a few sets with me at Canby to show off to anyone there.
They will soon be available.
I wish they were installed on my own car, but time has not permitted it. They will be this winter – guaranteed!
How much? I don’t know at this time, and I won’t know until I get the parts back with a bill, plus the final costs on the hardware after it get delivered.
I’ll keep you all up to date – we’re still rolling with this, no worries.
I was really impressed at how well the bracket worked on the bench, and its ease of adjustment.
Byron
BACARDI_DWB

Post by BACARDI_DWB »

definately subscribed. awesome work!! dibbs on a set for sure!
wbr911

Post by wbr911 »

I would also like a set these would be the last parts I need for my suspention
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

No worries, I should have the brackets in two weeks, I should have a price for the whole kit in a week.
Thanks guys.
Byron
jackedaw11

Post by jackedaw11 »

will you be accepting kidneys or firstborn for payment?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

No more first borns.... my 9 month old daughter has me busy enough!! :D
Kidneys could come in useful, I'm sure.
I shuold have a set with me at Canby to show to everyone.
BYron