Looking for V8 swap info

Blaksvn

Looking for V8 swap info

Post by Blaksvn »

I'm looking for any information on either a FORD 289/302 or a CHEVY 350 - V8 conversion for my Datsun 510.

I already have a 2 door that handles like mad now I want a INSANE quick 510.

I have seen pictures of the V8 conversions and my old UFO newsletters have one thing about this guy stuffing a 302 in his Dime.

Install mods included:
1. Reverse the front crossmember
2. Remove (hole saw) lower control arm sleeves and reverse them.

He also stated "the swap is relatively easy."

My mom's boyfriend has offered to give me his Chevy 350 IF he can help put it in and drive it from time to time :P -

SO any 289/302/350 swap info would be greatly appreciated!

Please email me at - NewMexicoUFO@yahoo.com

THANKS!
Rich
Attachments
350 in 510 - 02.jpg
350 in 510 - 02.jpg (47.89 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
Last edited by Blaksvn on 24 Jul 2003 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
1iLL510

Post by 1iLL510 »

umm....you might try looking at the nor cal ufo site and see if you can get into contact with Denise Hale...i belive that he has stuffed the buick V8 into one of his 8 dimes. If cannot help I know that he can point you to people that can. Hint if u do get a hold of him be prepared for a good covo cuz he likes to bump his gums
Blaksvn

Post by Blaksvn »

hahahah,
I'll be lookin Dennis' way soon :p
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

chevy V8 require more work because the block is longer and wider. ford 302 should fit between the shocks.

and this one is pretty extreme with a 400cu engine

http://www.bryanf.com/cars/510/terryt1.htm
Cazzzidy

Post by Cazzzidy »

I dont know much about the matter, but this I can share...

60 degrees, my friend, 60 degrees.

You see, a 60deg V is considerably narrower than a traditional 90deg V motor. The Buick V8s are mostly 60s, so I would recommend one of them.
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

Honestly, I've heard a few good things about the 260 V8, and how much lighter - AND FASTER - they were, compared to the larger 289's. The 260 V8's shipped standard in the mid to late 60's model Ford Falcon Sprints. I know of a place that deals specifically in the Falcon Sprints and Futura's, and I will post that link here, as soon as I find it.

Now, from experience. I've ridden in a 67 Ford Falcon Sprint, with the 260 V8. We raced a fully restored and beefed up Pontiac GTO, boasting a 400 big block, and won. 260 V8 with a single Weber downdraft. Heh, it was like 4" in diameter. I thought it was a carb off of a Geo Metro or somethin'. We raced a fully restored 1968 Cougar, with a built up 390. And won. The plus to all this is, the engine has a massive power-output for the size, and is incrediably light. I would choose that for a 510, since a larger motor would make the car extremely nose-heavy, and weight=resistance=slower. And, with that heavy nose, you would in theory, lose a lot of your handling. And because of the added wieght, you'd have to install a massive brake upgrade to stop your little iron-beast. ;) Just some insight, there.

But on the other hand, I would choose a twin cam upgrade from the Nissan make, Personally. SR20DET engine w/ turbo, or a VG30 that is beefed up would fit nicely, and produce outstanding effects. This, I have been TOLD, and haven't experienced, yet.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

how'bout 3.8 GN buick V6 turbo :) that's what i though i'd do before i bough my 510.(GM guy talk) but then , why not go for japanese V6s since they make more power per engine weight and displacment with no turbo .
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

But that's not a v8. Lol, putting a 350 in a 510 would probobly put you in the middle of a Chevy meet with no problem.

V6's are sweet motor's. What's even better, are straight-sixes. I don't know much about straight 6's, but I do know they are torquey as all hell. But all and all I'd stick with a Nissan Vg30 or a SR20DE Turbo. Verra' Fast...

http://geocities.com/pryials_angel
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
wtf

Post by wtf »

I6 = Bye bye firewall.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

wtf wrote:I6 = Bye bye firewall.
hell, if could fit a i6 in there...a V12 shouldnt be a much bigger problem...jag, v12 maybe? :roll:
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

heck, if all rules are out, then I want the Infinity 4.5L V8 from an IRL car...
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
GrandMasterGoat

Post by GrandMasterGoat »

i have a 351 FORD WINDSOR