N/A FJ20 Build

defdes
Supporter

Re: N/A FJ20 Build

Post by defdes »

Interesting, would detonation appear as such random patterns and in such varied sizes and points? Wouldn't the electrodes also show signs of detonation via melted ground wire etc? There looked to be signs of aluminum along the ring of a few of the plugs. There is also not really corresponding damage between each cylinder chamber and each piston.
To your question though, I never ran race gas, though since moving East I always use 93. The motor did sit for a year after my last fill up.
What do you mean by " corrosion damage"?
Also, after having a high comp L motor, I am very sensitive to the sound of pinging, I never heard any of that with this set up.
.... not to say that that isn't what's going on here though.
I am going to put it back together and try a BP7ES instead of the 6, maybe even go down one more heat range.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

On the plug front, with 10:1 before boost, I never run lower than a BP7ES, unless I am truly only going to idle and drive to the grocery store so to speak.

I know NGK's have a very wide latitude of heat capability, I just never take a chance with the electrode/insulator being my hot spot.

Of course it does all depend on how much throttle and cylinder filling you get, but, I do tailor what type of trip I am doing, to the plug heat range.

We have 94 premium here as our best pump gas, and with my existing cam, I cannot run that without pinging and then detonation starting at very low throttle opening.

I know we can say we are sensitive to pinging...but it may be light enough that we will NOT hear it. Detonation you will feel/hear, at least that has been my experience.
Now we can given you enough information to scare the hell out of you so.....just drive it! :lol:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Points well taken!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Think about getting one of John Pizzuto's nice products --> http://jandssafeguard.com/ <-- I bought one of his Interceptor units, which is currently running in James' green turbo car. It has a funny feature; a headphone jack! You can listen to your engine while you drive around, which is essentially amounts to a very advanced DSP-filtered version of the "det cans" that many tuners use when dyno tuning engines.

Also, do a Google search for 'det cans'
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

^^^^I hope it doesn't come to that!^^^^^

Made a bit more progress today, incredible how slow I can be, but when things are apart...
I am using a Cometic Gasket, looks pretty bullet proof.
ARP doesn't make a stud kit for the FJ20 so the next closest is for a Sierra Cosworth (arp #251-4701), but they are not quite long enough so little 10 mm "stops" need to be made from bolts to thread into the block to allow full nut clampage.
FJrego1.jpg
FJrego1.jpg (117.34 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
FJrego2.jpg
FJrego2.jpg (76.96 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
FJrego3.jpg
FJrego3.jpg (142.87 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I have been using these generic rubber caps to cover the return line from the heater core which I have yet to rebuild to reconnect. Does anyone know of a better product to use? these get old and crack after 3-4 months. I carry an extra in the car as I got stranded once when one let go on, but I'd like something a little more reliable.
FJrego4.jpg
FJrego4.jpg (100.06 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
Just need to connect a few things and drain gas, oil and water to restart....and then repeat and park it till May :cry:
FJrego5.jpg
FJrego5.jpg (148.7 KiB) Viewed 5501 times
510rob

Post by 510rob »

The FJ is such an elegant looking beast of a contraption. It looks particularly interesting with the Mikunis on there and the valve cover off like that.

By the way, what ever happened with your plan to EFI that motor?
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

It certainly is.
The EFI is still in the long term plan, just lacking funds and time presently.
Really interested in Jenvey ITB's too, which would add to the cost.
TUF510

Post by TUF510 »

defdes wrote:I have been using these generic rubber caps to cover the return line from the heater core which I have yet to rebuild to reconnect. Does anyone know of a better product to use? these get old and crack after 3-4 months. I carry an extra in the car as I got stranded once when one let go on, but I'd like something a little more reliable.
The attachment FJrego4.jpg is no longer available
Just need to connect a few things and drain gas, oil and water to restart....and then repeat and park it till May :cry:
The attachment FJrego5.jpg is no longer available

Hi John

In regards to those rubber caps - i wouldn't use them and and highly recommend connecting the one from the back of the head above the starter motor to the 3/4 pipe that is part of the bottom hose - in your ]FJrego4.jpg photo

This is for hot coolant to circulate from back of head and even out cylinder head temps which may help decrease chance of detonation.
It also aids in quicker warm up in colder weather.

If you are still keen on using a cap,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSAL-HO ... 1292722087
Attachments
RubberCap.jpg
RubberCap.jpg (66.78 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
Rubber Cap part number.jpg
Rubber Cap part number.jpg (195.09 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Good to know, thanks for that....I'll have to look for that bung, it is not one that I am familiar with. Is there more than one to choose from or will it be obvious?
TUF510

Post by TUF510 »

That is the one that I found that lasted the longest here in Australia. I've never seen other genuine factory Holden ones.
I had the rubber door stops before I found these.
Now I use the factory pipe that runs around the distributor.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I actually meant the plugged opening on the head, I saw it and will cadge something together, though it will be a kind of awkward routing unless I can find some nice fittings. Maybe I'll try to bend up some stainless tubing to mimic the factory piping. Do you have a pic?
TUF510

Post by TUF510 »

scroll through the pics on this page on what the water pipe looks like

http://www.build-threads.com/build-thre ... more-pt-1/

if you are talking about the half moon seals, you may need to take a sample to your nissan dealer
or you can probly get some from http://www.swmotorsport.com.au/
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Thanks, just what I was looking for.