ignition switch question

scaredshitless

ignition switch question

Post by scaredshitless »

Does anyone know what the function of the two wires that appear to come out of the the trim ring on the ignition switch??? Red/ blue I believe. 71 510. I traced it out on the wiring diagram I have but am unable to tell what they are.
Arrest Me Red 71 2 dr, Chrome Cowl, L20B, Flat tops, New U 67 Head, Elec Ign, , 5sp, 2 1/4"Magnaflow, dual Webber 40's, 2"drop, ZX brks, 160 LSD, Racing seats & harnesses, Autometer gages...
mesojdm

RE: ignition switch question

Post by mesojdm »

im guessing..but a "key-in" buzzer or a Glowlight around the ignition for night? Hm dunno either
hang_510
Supporter

Re: RE: ignition switch question

Post by hang_510 »

mesojdm wrote: a "key-in" buzzer
:D
Byron510

RE: Re: RE: ignition switch question

Post by Byron510 »

Key in buzzer???

Glow light around the key!!!

Man, this is the 70's, you were lucky to get a dome light that put out more than 5 candle power!!
Sorry to take a jab, but that was seriously funny! You made my morning. :D

I do remember a seat belt buzzer in my ‘73 2dr. If there ever was a key buzzer, I never had one that worked.

Back on topic, I've seen those wires –they have spade connectors, right? One male, one female? But I've never traced them. That seems to be on 72 and 73 cars, I guess I'll take a look one day - if I ever get a late car! I've owned so many, but most were 70 and earlier.
But someone must have the answer for ya.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

my first 4dr(71?) had the key-in buzzer. annoying as hell!!
disabled them all since...
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
mesojdm

Post by mesojdm »

okay..maybe the glow light was a bit far fetched...but Im stickin to my "key in buzzer" idea. Mine had the wires too..its a 72
chunstone

Post by chunstone »

I have one red one hanging loose and the car still runs. It's a 71 wagon.
4 link VG30 wagon, Stage 2 cams PP heads headers.
170 hp-180 tq
Call Doug at UP Motors, Tacoma, "engine swap elite"
JeffGreg

Post by JeffGreg »

its definately a key-in buzzer. And its also probably the most annoying buzzing sound ive ever heard in my life, so you would be best off leaving it unplugged :D
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Heh, concur. I had reconnected the wires in my old blue car, just to figure out what they did. Then the key-in buzzer started working. "Cool!" I thought, "I've never heard one before." That lasted about a day before it turned into the most annoying noise ever.

Which is why most people don't know about it.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
scaredshitless

Thanks !

Post by scaredshitless »

Thank you all !
Well why I am there is the car has an alarm system that doesn't work properly... it runs the battery down and when I crank the Ign the door lock solenoids clunk up & down !!! So I have removed it and am removing the associated wiring ! They did a good job of hiding the lame workmanship. Why not just do the job right the first time ??? It would have taken the same amount of time.
The Key buzzer makes the most sense. They were wired into the 'system'
Lighted Key ring , that's a good one.

Cheers
Arrest Me Red 71 2 dr, Chrome Cowl, L20B, Flat tops, New U 67 Head, Elec Ign, , 5sp, 2 1/4"Magnaflow, dual Webber 40's, 2"drop, ZX brks, 160 LSD, Racing seats & harnesses, Autometer gages...
oaklandsyd

Re: ignition switch question

Post by oaklandsyd »

I'm digging through this stuff myself...

one of the wires goes to the buzzer. the other one... I'm still not sure. But it affected nothing when I unplugged it.. My guess is that it goes to the dome light? The wiring diagram vaguely mentions a "ST'G Lock SW"....

my guess is that one is power, one is signal to the buzzer?

Guess and check, its why we have volt meters.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: ignition switch question

Post by okayfine »

Door switch switches to ground, which joins up with one side of the buzzer. Other side has to be power, and based on my diagram the blue/white wire supplies power to all sorts of under-dash bits. Mine has a label of "STG LOCK SW" which doesn't really mean anything to me, but that's why we have the pretty diagram pictures. :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson