Good Books for Datsun Performance info.

iceD

Re: Good Books for Datsun Performance info.

Post by iceD »

When looking for any of these books be aware of high prices. I saw the How to modify.. on Amazon for 314US$. I picked up NOS copy for 15US$ form Wolf Creek. I'm a compulsive Used bookstore shopper on Saturday in Bellingham I found a How to build your L series engine for 8US$ and they had several Nissan shop manuals 210, 610, 310 and pickups for 12US$. These books sell from 35-75C$ locally.

Regards 8)
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

Not really a book, but a must have for tuning Mikuni PHH carbs:
http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphot ... hoto=14191
-Ted
Edit- It's a booklet, not a book, and that pic is the front cover.
Last edited by Tedman on 24 Nov 2008 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

^ how is that picture gonna help me tune them??? :twisted:

i bought a .PDF copy this week :D
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

Always glad to help.

:idea: Care to post a link to that PDF vendor?
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

If you're running SUs, here's a book worth tracking down:

http://tinyurl.com/6lo5ny

DISCLAIMER- This writer assumes no responsibility for any misguided perception that the entire digitized version of said book is/was/could be/might be available at said link. No mechanic on duty. Your mileage may vary. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear. Possible suffocation risk. Step away from the vehicle. Don't drop in. Call your doctor if you experience erections lasting more than 4 hours. May be harmful to gnatcatchers or spotted owls. This vehicle not for hire. Always use jackstands. Do not use in bathtub. Don't stick your finger in there. Flammable. In case of laser damage, use other eye. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Hang on to your board. Park between the lines. Recyclables ONLY. Use a #2 pencil. RTFM. Dispose of properly. For external use only. Do not eat. No passing under yellow. Injury or death may occur. Take a moment to locate the nearest exit. Choking hazard. Not a toy. Wear your lifejacket. NO RUNNING! Turn off engine while refueling. No jumping from pier. Aim at base of flames. NO SMOKING! Not suitable for adults. Non-transferrable. Non-refundable. In God We Trust. Semper Fi. Da Cat is dead. Long live Da Cat.
iceD

Post by iceD »

I picked up this book the other day. I traded it for a 1970 AMC Javelin shop manual.
Attachments
P9130012.JPG
iceD

Re: Autobooks are well written and look good on your shelf

Post by iceD »

I am going to remove the front struts, and change the strut inserts. I know you guys think a project involves lathes and welders and turbo chargers; but for me, on my back in the driveway, this is a project.

I got the car up on stands and removed the wheels. I started to remove the brake calipers and found the bolts to be to tight. So I decided I needed a bigger wrench. Then I drove my daughters around for what amounted to the rest of the evening.

Since it's raining, instead of using that bigger wrench, I decided to read up on the removal of front struts. I read Section FA in the Datsun Service Manual, and discovered I know nothing about the front suspension. For instance did you know that a LCA is actually a Transverse Link, that a Sway Bar is a Stabilizer, and to remove the Strut Assembly you have to undo both of these parts as well as the Ball joints and the Brake Calipers.

Since I have a small collection of Datsun Manuals I decide to read through some others, even Haynes and Chilton have some redeeming features.

I was at the used book store in Steveston a few weeks ago, and they had an Autobooks Owners Workshop Manual for the Datsun 510 Series, for 10$Cdn. It is full of the graphics from the factory manual, and I have to say it is very well written. It is easy to understand, very thorough, and it looks good on the shelf in its orange plastic cover.

ice D 8)
Attachments
P2240003.JPG
510rob

Post by 510rob »

more books
Attachments
find a copy, buy it, read it, learn it, understand it
find a copy, buy it, read it, learn it, understand it
handy book for Weber info
handy book for Weber info
iceD

Post by iceD »

And another.

ice D 8)
Attachments
P2240001.JPG
iceD

Post by iceD »

Wilkinson's Automobilia has Nissan Sport magazine now. Merlin has an article on restoration and there is lots of other Nissan/Infinity/Datsun related articles.

ice D 8)
nickelNdime

Post by nickelNdime »

hey guys. can anyone help me obtain a copy of "how to modify your 510 610 240z engine and chassis" for a decent price.amazon wants to take my manhood in order to buy their copy .has anyone seen a decent one at the swap meets in cali for a reasonable price? thanks in advance for any help.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

nickelNdime wrote:hey guys. can anyone help me obtain a copy of "how to modify your 510 610 240z engine and chassis" for a decent price.
What is a "decent" price?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
nickelNdime

Post by nickelNdime »

certainly not 170$. something a little more realistic for a used book.30 or 40$
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

nickelNdime wrote:certainly not 170$. something a little more realistic for a used book.30 or 40$
Understand that the original is somewhat more rare than your average used book. What the books actually trade for reflect their value (not what you want to pay for it), so you're unlikely to find someone willing to sell you an original "How To Modify" book for $30. You could probably find the reissue "How To Hotrod" for $30 or $40.

Or get busy at www.datsun510.com and print your own.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
iceD

Post by iceD »

... or you could go to

http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/classified.htm

and buy a new one for 14US$ ...

ice D 8)