Wagon wide body?

sil8y

Wagon wide body?

Post by sil8y »

Hey, new to the site. Thanks for looking.

I see all kinds of fender flares and widebody kits for the 2 door. but nothin for the sedan and wagon. im lookin for fender flares for my 70 wagon. needs it bad. i have 205 50 15s on 15x8 0 offset wheel. ...it drives... straight. lol
im not worried for the front. but that damn back door has some clearence issues with any kind of bubble flare. any help would be hot. :D
merlin
Supporter

Re: Wagon wide body?

Post by merlin »

i have tubbed/ flared a 4 door... not an easy task... unless you like fabbing things and have lots of time and patience don't bother...

switch to 195's and 6 inch tires...
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
Beatty510

Post by Beatty510 »

im running into the same problem with my 4 door sedan. do you have any pics of your tubbed/flared wagon?
sil8y

Post by sil8y »

well, the 15x8 0 offset fit. just need a sway bar and to clean up the flares a bit. i would love some bolt on flares but im not sure what to do about the back.
Attachments
My wagon
My wagon
sil8y

Post by sil8y »

...i didnt know how to put more than one pic on.
Attachments
a890aacd7acc.jpg
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

have you tried rolling the fenders a bit? But yeah, I've been contemplating flares on my goon, but it's way involved if you wanna keep rear doors functioning properly. Way later down the road for me. You may have to run 195s.
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
sil8y

Post by sil8y »

yeah. they are rolled a ton. ill put a couple more pics up tomorrow. thats all i had on my phone for pics. i wish i had 195s. i will be rotating the 205s out soon enough. i would like to get some bolt on flares for a slightly cleaner look. i may just cut some coupe rears in half and bolt them to the back door...
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

http://www.the510realm.com/phpBB3/viewt ... a&start=45

you can take a look through my project thread for some possible ideas, not a wagon but a 4 door with flares, just about the same concept. The rear has yet to be tubbed. School and work are taking up all my time this winter. Gotta save for scca this summer!! Plan to go at getting the rear end tubbed so it will work. Right now i just have the whole original lip cut off, but if i push out the tires to the edge of the flares it still rubs in hard corners:(
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

I'm about to reflare my 4 door... the process will be the same on a wagoon... i pick up the flares from specialty engineering next thursday . as soon as I start, i'll start a thread and post pics.

essentially what i did the first time was cut the inner well of at the center seam... where it sticks up and is cover by that flexible trim that goes all the way around the door on the inside edge. then I pop riveted(this time I weld- half the reason for the fix) a sheet of new metal straight out from that seam. You'll need to cut everything but the very inner edge of the door arch out on the door and weld in a matching panel there as well. then you install the flares and fill in the gaps... But

there's two ways to put the flares on, the first is the way they currently are on my car which is to mount them and cut them straight down the door seam at the lock, and straight across on the rocker line to the wheel well.. this works fine but looks a bit hacked... you're flare is actually three pieces, on small piece on the rocker, about a 3rd on the door and the rest on the rear quarter.

the way I'm going to redo them is to leave the flare arc whole and shrink the door up and forward... the door skin will be nearly flat and the flare will start where the door arc ends, much like a modern flared car.

sil8y

Post by sil8y »

nice thanks. do you have any pics of just the rear flare?
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

how do you post a pic now?

merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

nevermind - duh! here's the only pic i can find from the pre digital days.
    the very bottom piece ofthe flare at the rocker panel is not on yet in this pic, but you can see how the flare is cut horizontally, and if you look very closely you might be able to see how its cut straight down at the rear of the door. I have no pics with the door open though
    Attachments
    postpaint.jpg

RWD_NissanMan
    Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Here's my documented build of 2-1/2" steel flares for the rear of a 4-door. Quite a bit of fabrication but we were able to retain the useage of the rear doors. It would be the same process for a wagon.

http://www.the510realm.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=3&t=1877
    1969 Datsun 510 4-door (donor shell for below)
    1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET (sort of broken right now)
    1998 Suzuki Escudo (JDM Sidekick Sport) 2.0TD 4x4 (daily driver)
    2006 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 3V 4x2 (wife's ride)
    2005 & 2006 Targa Newfoundland Entrant
    merlin
    Supporter

Post by merlin »

yup, what RWD has done is essentially what i did the first time in the way of cutting metal out.... how he;s finished them is how i'm going to redo them... instead of welding in the stock inner wheel though, i'm going to try and use a sections of a pair of trailer fenders i bought at princess auto for 30 bucks... the curve is a very close match to the 510 wheel arch

sil8y

Post by sil8y »

here are a couple of new pics. tell me what you think.
    Attachments
    adbb70267aad.jpg
    275761ed8f84.jpg
    8defad6be095.jpg