ac in datsun

Post by cgovia »

any body knows who makes a good aftermarket ac kit,
S15DET
Supporter

Re: ac in datsun

Post by S15DET »

http://www.vintageair.com/

I'm going with a GEN-II mini for my 510.
They have everything you'll need to make the whole system.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

How much is it?? I can't find a price from any of those sites......???
DryHeat
Supporter

Post by DryHeat »

I went with the Gen-II Compaq in my wagon ... a little more cooling capacity. Cost was around 1000.00 not including the york to sanden adapter, extra hose, #6 #8 & #10 connectors, crimp tool, trinary switch, and drier. I also went with a different condensor ... their's are just to big to fit very well.

After install it is almost invisible ... routing the flex vent hose can get a little interesting too.
Jim Graham
71 Plum Crazy Wagon
djlotus
Supporter

Post by djlotus »

I wish I had the money to get an aftermarket ac system for my car.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

DryHeat wrote:I went with the Gen-II Compaq in my wagon ... a little more cooling capacity. Cost was around 1000.00 not including the york to sanden adapter, extra hose, #6 #8 & #10 connectors, crimp tool, trinary switch, and drier. I also went with a different condensor ... their's are just to big to fit very well.

After install it is almost invisible ... routing the flex vent hose can get a little interesting too.

I wish I had room in my 240Z for the larger unit. I had to use the GEN II Mini and the cooling is just adequate. I would not use it in a 510 as the 240Z cabin is smaller and it barely cools it. I am running a Sanden 508 compressor.

Get as big a unit as will fit. Vintage AIr even sells Mock up units to make sure it will fit well.

Any pics of your Gen II Compaq install?
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
DryHeat
Supporter

Post by DryHeat »

David,

I wish I had the foresight to get some pictures as I installed the unit. I will try and take a few today but I already have the dash reassembled so it could be kinda tough.
Jim Graham
71 Plum Crazy Wagon
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I too would love to see your installed pictures. How far does it hang down below the bottom of the dash? I guess you put it near the center, where the original heater core/blower unit was, rather than behind the glove box in the passenger side of the dash? It's hot in NC!
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

S15DET wrote:I too would love to see your installed pictures. How far does it hang down below the bottom of the dash? I guess you put it near the center, where the original heater core/blower unit was, rather than behind the glove box in the passenger side of the dash? It's hot in NC!
Brad,

If you have the room, get the bigger unit. The mini will not keep you as cool in a 510.

Here are pics of the install into my 240Z.

Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Thanks for the pictures. I'll do a little measuring to see if I can fit the next size up "compact".
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

qwik510 wrote:
S15DET wrote:I too would love to see your installed pictures. How far does it hang down below the bottom of the dash? I guess you put it near the center, where the original heater core/blower unit was, rather than behind the glove box in the passenger side of the dash? It's hot in NC!
Brad,

If you have the room, get the bigger unit. The mini will not keep you as cool in a 510.

Here are pics of the install into my 240Z.

Does this unit do Heat as well ?
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Yes. Heat and AC.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

qwik510 wrote:Yes. Heat and AC.

Thanks, that looks like a nice compact fit. I will yank my old heater, and install in that place .