STI diff

wilderb

STI diff

Post by wilderb »

has anyone fitted a wrx sti differential into a 510 yet?

WRX STI differential is R180 right? so that means that it should bolt in without a new mustache bar
I know that the axle shafts are snap in but I think I might be able to get some R180 shafts that are modified to fit
wilderb

Re: STI diff

Post by wilderb »

I just scored an 06 sti differential for only $310 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , so we'll see when it gets here just how much needs to be done in order to fit it into the dime
El_Nino

Post by El_Nino »

why dont more people get R180s from the front axle of a Datsun 720 pickup? Theyre available in a few ratio's and if you search on car-part.com they have them for as cheap as $65 and as high as $250. There are pages of search results on car-part. These diffs BOLT in a 510 they just require you to use the inner stubs from your stock diff.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Where did you get it? I have been shopping for a '06 or newer STi diff for a while. You do know that this is a Torsen, right? If this doesn't matter to you, let's talk, because I want to buy it from you.

It should bolt right in, but you'll need a custom axle solution. Ideally you'll go with the flat GKN-style CV's on both ends.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

why dont more people get R180s from the front axle of a Datsun 720 pickup?

Open diff thats why? we did the conversion to the 4 bolt flange using a R180 out of a 85 200sx AUTO(3.90 gear ratio)
510 flange needs dust sheild cut so bolt engages the threads
or use the 240z 4 bolt flange as the bolt and dush sheil wont hit.Remember (most Z cars had bad gear ratio)

The POWER BRUTE R180 LSDs are on back order Thats what Jeff (icehouse) said 500-600$
they make them in bunches what he said
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

The spline count is 27 on my STI rear end (early STI, don't know about the later ones). The Z and truck R-180 is smaller in diameter and the spline count is 25. So I am going to use the STI inner CV joint, because i have found no other alternatives. Also, my STI R-180 came to me new in the Suburu box, I peeled off the Suburu sticker and under it was Nissan Motors with this part # 38300-52N23. I did a part search in the US , to find if any US cars use this part number, but could find none. Maybe a search of off shore parts numbers would turn something up. I was thinking that it would possibly open up more avenues of CV joints instead of just Suburu. All the WRX guys are snapping up the STI stuff for upgrades, thus keeping the fair market prices pretty high. I just need the inner joints anyway not the whole assy. So I just keep looking on Ebay for some reasonably priced CV's to work on that part of the project.

On the left is the stock WRX inner CV joint (R160), on the right is the STI (R180). Also note that the part #'s for the early CV's are different than the later ones, but I don't know if there is really any difference physically or just a different supplier.
KamodoDragon

Post by KamodoDragon »

If supplied with the correct STi axles and 510 stubs I can convert them to work with the factory stubs and half shafts. Price is $120.
Brad
'72 vg30et wagon project
'73 touge master 2 door
past flings......
'02 wrx 350hp, coilovers, stop techs ect
'88 300zx shiro special stock
'91 galant vr4 basic modds
'72 z18et 2 door
'70 sss L18 wagon
wilderb

Post by wilderb »

correct me if I am wrong but you will need a set of axle shafts (part that goes into sti the differential) and the original 510 stub axle (part that goes into the r160 stock 510 differential) in order to make a set , and be able to use the STI differential?

sorry for the lame questions but I need to clarify before I start looking for STi donor axles because thae are pricey
510Finn
Supporter

Post by 510Finn »

Bump! 510Wizard any update? I know this is a very old thread, but you never know...

I recently picked up an '04-'05 Subaru STI R-180 (3:90 with 4 pinion gears and clutch packs) and am looking for slip-in CV axles.

Not to take anything away from the proven, BMS/WCR R-180 stub axles and the half-shaft to CV conversions (around 1400 for the whole setup). I just want to explore other custom CV axle options and I believe that more people might be interested in the slip-in CV axle setup. I know this kind of setup is possible because e510 sold a similar setup but it was a 25T CV axle setup for a R-160 - http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15077

I emailed e510, as he said he was doing the exact same setup but for an STi R180 diff, but haven't heard back from him. Did he use 280zx or zxt rear wheel hub flanges?

I am not certain about the right details for installing the STI R-180 Rear Diff (27T spline) with using CV axles using either modified Subaru STi CV axles (see below) or 280zxt CV axles? I heard there were problems when attempting to combine these CVs to make a slip-in solution. What went wrong?

I started contacting some axle shops, but I think they need better details on exactly what they need to do to make these CV axles.

I know Kurt's Subaru Diff guide is very helpful, but he admitted that it's been getting a little dated. I also posted this on FB under the Datsun 510 Registry (Kenny''s group).

I found this detailed write-up, where the owner used shortened Subaru axles from the Driveshaft shop. Appears to have had to get the hub side welded so it can adapt to the hub flange on his 240Z. I think going this route is better, but i'm not sure about having the wheel hub side companion flange welded to match the hub flange.

Any comments or suggestions?
1972 4dr KA24E-T
1972 Blue WaGoon
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Contact The Driveshaft Shop. They make a kit to use the STI diff in a 510 with Porsche 930 CV joints. It's a little less expensive than the WCR stuff and their customer service and quality is great.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
510Finn
Supporter

Post by 510Finn »

duke wrote:Contact The Driveshaft Shop. They make a kit to use the STI diff in a 510 with Porsche 930 CV joints. It's a little less expensive than the WCR stuff and their customer service and quality is great.
Yes, I saw in this post that the DSS does have a few different solutions. I do have one concern, and that is aren't the 930 CV joints fairly large in diameter and could potentially interfere with the exhaust?
1972 4dr KA24E-T
1972 Blue WaGoon
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I second the DSS recommendation, great product with the 930 CV's and great support. It's a little close to the mustache bar washers.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

The stock STI axles are still hard to find for a reasonable price, (I only need the inner CV), most are bundled with the diff for Subaru swapping guys. If what is true as in the link that 510Finn posted at the $700 for a set up that will hold 300HP, that is a great price. Since I need a totally custom setup, STI inner and Miata outer CV's, It will probably be cheaper for me to have DSS make something up. I haven't heard a bad word about DSS.
jaredperry

Post by jaredperry »

https://www.facebook.com/#!/SaabandSubaruparts

Hit this guy up for STi/subaru parts. He has awesome customer service and very fair pricing.
510Finn
Supporter

Post by 510Finn »

I got back a reply from the DSS and they can build STi R-180 custom CV slip-in axles that will bolt up to the factory 510 wheel hub, quoted 1400 which is essentially the same price as the stubs and CV conversion. :cry:

They said they don't make the cheaper solution -

"we had tried to use the stock housing from the Subaru but the 108mm and
straight cut CV didn't like each other and would make a banging sound when
taking off. we don't do them due to that, sorry "

I'm going to continue the search for alternate solutions, but I may end up going back to the DSS. Maybe we can a group discount if there are more of you interested?

I did contact another custom axle manufacturer and got this reply, but it sounds like this will require swapping rear hub flanges (does anyone know details about this?):

"We have done lots of Z car mods. I don’t shorten axles as the parts don’t hold up well. I do make custom shafts to length and make CV joints to fit various requirements. The 27 spline stubs for the STi and the older 510 flanges could be mated together with a custom shaft a inner Cv joint and the original outer CV joint. Datsun/Nissan used the tripod design in some pretty good HP cars with lots of success. This would be the cheapest and run you about $500. Per axle.

Kevin Yutani
Constant Velocity of Ocala Inc."
1972 4dr KA24E-T
1972 Blue WaGoon