The L Series Header List

datsun510

Re: The L Series Header List

Post by datsun510 »

I have not run the BRE header because I have a 2300 engine in the car and it won't work. Would work great with a 1600 or 1800. When we used to race at Riverside there was a car that ran one and if I remember correctly it did not hang down very much. The only bad part was if you needed to pull the transmission out it was in the way and needed to be pulled off with the carbs. This header was made in the early 70's and I don't know anybody else who is making anything similar. On our GT-4 we ran one of Stahl's tunnel floor headers that required the floor to be raised but the header was level with the bottom of the floorpan. A lot of work to get installed but provided great ground clearance. I don't have any pictures of that header but Stahl might still make it.

Seth
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

yea! id like to look into that stahl header. how much higher does the floor have to be raised?

datsun510 wrote:I have not run the BRE header because I have a 2300 engine in the car and it won't work. Would work great with a 1600 or 1800. When we used to race at Riverside there was a car that ran one and if I remember correctly it did not hang down very much. The only bad part was if you needed to pull the transmission out it was in the way and needed to be pulled off with the carbs. This header was made in the early 70's and I don't know anybody else who is making anything similar. On our GT-4 we ran one of Stahl's tunnel floor headers that required the floor to be raised but the header was level with the bottom of the floorpan. A lot of work to get installed but provided great ground clearance. I don't have any pictures of that header but Stahl might still make it.

Seth
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

I know it's been a while but there is a lot of useful information on this thread. I do have some questions.

Does anyone know the header flange thickness? I'm assuming there is a standard size for exhaust and intake manifolds as they share a bolt and washer but you never know.

The 'how to book' says: "Current thinking on an exhaust system... 1-3/4-inch with 35 -inch primary pipes dumping into a 2-1/2-inch-diameter collectors and secondary system as on the SSS race engine"

The 'how to..." book was written a long time ago, is current 2017 thinking the same?

Being a RHD JDM Bluebird I don't need to worry about clearance for the master cylinders or steering box and have a bit more room to work with so could run longer and straighter header before bending off down under into the collectors and out the back (or side) of the car.

Going custom made as it's cheaper than to ship one over, pay tax on it and give the queen her cut but going for the Japanese 'Equal length octopus feet' style like the Altair one below.

Thanks
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
broke

Post by broke »

The best performing ones (anecdotally) seem to to the the Nissan Comp style and the Kameari Drag header (which I'm sure you're aware of).

I feel your pain re the shipping and tax costs, Troy Ermish's stepped 1-5/8" - 1-3/4" 4-1 seems like a good starting point if you're going to copy one.

Where did you find that Altair one? Looks quite nice. Maybe you should make a run of headers for us RHD folk and sell some? :P
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Stopped by Rebello's today and chatted with Dave for a while. He really likes the one built by Bill's Datsun (I had never heard of them). Here is the link to the website - http://www.billsdatsun.com/headers/#/new-page-2/. Talked to Bill this morning over the phone. $305 is the price which is very fair. Dave had this exact header installed in a 2150cc L4 making around 200hp and it flowed very well. Doesn't flow as well as the Comp header which has larger primaries but it produced more torque at a lower rpm. Basically, moves the peak hp/tq range down a little which is great for a street car driving between 40-90mph and not shifting between 6-8k rpm all the time.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

broke wrote:The best performing ones (anecdotally) seem to to the the Nissan Comp style and the Kameari Drag header (which I'm sure you're aware of).

I feel your pain re the shipping and tax costs, Troy Ermish's stepped 1-5/8" - 1-3/4" 4-1 seems like a good starting point if you're going to copy one.

Where did you find that Altair one? Looks quite nice. Maybe you should make a run of headers for us RHD folk and sell some? :P
I have made lots of contacts while researching my car, Altair were one of the companies suggested to purchase a header from. Mine is about 3 weeks away, I'll post pictures once when done, it'll be about £500GBP in parts and labour, not sure if it'll be viable to ship anywhere?
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
broke

Post by broke »

That is up there price wise, probably couldn't commit to that with the NZ dollar being the way it is at the moment, but I'm still very curious to see how yours turn out
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
tcflacars

Post by tcflacars »

Has any one run the 4 into 2 stock cast-iron manifolds????
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!