Steering shaft splines at steering wheel hub

brknrekord
Supporter

Steering shaft splines at steering wheel hub

Post by brknrekord » 16 Jul 2008 10:39

Do all of the year 510's have the same shaft diameter/spline count?

Anything special about removing the steering wheel hub from the shaft? I want to grease the bearing.

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Steering shaft splines at steering wheel hub

Post by okayfine » 16 Jul 2008 11:22

510s have the same steering shaft dia. and spline count. In fact, Nissan used the same dia. and count for a number of their vehicles.

I present a story (from http://www.datsuns.com)

Mike Spreadbury (submitted 10/24/00)
Steering wheels go 'round and...OUCH!

Shortly after acquiring my first 510 at the age of 15, I decided to replace the stock 17” steering wheel with an aftermarket Grant unit. The stock horn pad was rotten from the sun and disintegrated in my hands as I tried to figure out how it attached to the wheel itself. Finally, after honking several times, I freed the horn cover to discover the large nut securing the steering wheel to the column shaft.

I used my trusty socket wrench to remove the nut, and washer from the threaded shaft. I put both hands on the steering wheel and gave it a tug. Nothing. Hmmm. I pulled a little harder, not knowing that a steering wheel puller would be the prudent way to remove the stubborn wheel.

I pulled harder. Nothing. Hmmm. I checked to see there was nothing else holding the steering wheel to the shaft and could not see anything that would prevent me from removing the wheel.

I decided to give the old, hard steering wheel one last tug. Bracing my feet on the brake pedal, and pulling with all my might I gave it a mighty heave. A very bad idea…

I don’t know how long I was knocked out, but I awoke laying on the passenger seat with a steering wheel in one hand, a splitting headache, and a red welt across my forehead. These days I am very careful when it comes to removing steering wheels….

A life lesson learned…
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 » 16 Jul 2008 12:03

that AlWAYS makes me :lol:
...only cuz i never knocked my self out :twisted:

lube the indicator switch too, at least clean the crud off.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 16 Jul 2008 12:23

I was tightening the U bolt on an axle with a Johnson bar and my hand slipped... no didn't knoct myself out, or loose teeth, but pumched myself between nose and upper lip. I like to smile... a lot, and now it hurt to smile for over a week.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 16 Jul 2008 13:08

okayfine,

Thanks for sharing that :D

I've heard this exact story from others on their cars, but actually knocking yourself out, man that was a good impact.

Just a note to others, this same wheel removal trick can work, just leave the nut on a few threads. Then when the wheel does let loose, the wheel is still kept attached to the shaft in a fashion.

I hope your head didn't take long to heal!. I have had many work related injuries. In my trade in the industrial and ship yard settings that I've spent my career in - there are many hazards. I've not lost anything, but I've cut fingers, sprained ankles, been hit with crane hooks and pendants, injured my wrists and hands more times than I can count, smashed my shins more times than I can count and last year I did the best yet and broke my nose when a pry bar let loose. Should have seen the look on the first aid attendants face when he saw the size of me (6'/250 lbs) and realized that we are a good 6 decks down in the hull of a ship. He was quite happy to sit with me until I finished going though the usual shock of loosing a pile of blood and passing out until I felt better so that I could walk MYSELF out to the awaiting ambulance! I don’t ever hope to top that experience. Occupational hazards I guess, but you have to be vigilant every day!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

brknrekord
Supporter

Post by brknrekord » 16 Jul 2008 16:54

:lol: :roll:

Oh thats great :mrgreen:

wilderb

Post by wilderb » 16 Jul 2008 17:03

Just a note to others, this same wheel removal trick can work, just leave the nut on a few threads. Then when the wheel does let loose, the wheel is still kept attached to the shaft in a fashion.

yeah but that wont make for any funny stories :lol:

I too have smacked myself with a steering wheel before, even though it hurt bad i really laughed my ass off :mrgreen:

Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar » 18 Jul 2008 15:16

I had a toyota 4X4 on a hoist and was doing the brakes.
I removed the cailper and tied it back out of the way with a bungee cord.
I was getting ready to puyt the rotor back on adn turned twards the truck just in time to see the caliper swinging down (it had popped out of the bungee cord) and heading right at my face. i didn't have time to move and it hit me right in the nose/eye area. I don't really remember what happend right after that...

qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 » 18 Jul 2008 16:42

I used to work at a lube center (like Jiffy Lube) and one night after work I had my V8 510 in the shop to change the trans and diff fluids. The shop was set up with open areas in the floor and you would walk on a scaffold in the lower level to access the bottom of the car for service. We had these large capacity metal rolling oil pans that ran on tracks so you could roll it from one end of the car to the other. The were about the same level as your head. I had just finished doing the the diff fluid and pushed it up towards the middle of the car to do the trans fluid. I had grabbed the wrong sized wrench so I reached to the tool rack to get the right size and when I turned around, I walked right into the rolling oil pan and knocked myself out. I awoke laying on the metal scaffolding with a huge bump on my forehead and a ringing in my ears. It took me a while to figure out where I was and what had happened and that the ringing in my ears was actually the phone ringing up in the office. I stumbeld up the stairs and got to the phone. It was the owner saying that he got a call from the alarm company saying that the alarm was never turned on. It turned out that I was out cold for over 3 hours.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage

brknrekord
Supporter

Post by brknrekord » 18 Jul 2008 18:07

Geeze! Three hours? I dont know how many times I've smashed my head under a lifted vehicle, but I've never knocked myself out.

I just got back from taking my Great Aunt Lillian to the doctor. Follow up visits. She fell four weeks ago and hit her forehead on the corner of a china cabinet. Knocked herself out for FIVE hours. Pretty scary at eighty four. She's alright, so no worries, and she's got you all beat :wink:

qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 » 19 Jul 2008 04:45

brknrekord wrote:Geeze! Three hours? I dont know how many times I've smashed my head under a lifted vehicle, but I've never knocked myself out.

I just got back from taking my Great Aunt Lillian to the doctor. Follow up visits. She fell four weeks ago and hit her forehead on the corner of a china cabinet. Knocked herself out for FIVE hours. Pretty scary at eighty four. She's alright, so no worries, and she's got you all beat :wink:
Figures that I get beat out by an 84 year old woman. For years I was embarrassed to even tell that story. Now it is on the internet for all eternity.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage

brknrekord
Supporter

Post by brknrekord » 19 Jul 2008 08:23

And youre a stronger person for it :lol: :wink:

jonmorine

Post by jonmorine » 18 Jul 2009 13:26

I know this thread is a year old but I was going to remove my steering wheel to put a new one on and I am not seeing how the horn pad comes off.

I have the wheel removal kit so I should be good once I can actually see the nut. I have done it in a couple other cars but the pad would just pop off. This one doesn't seem to be the case unless I am just not pulling hard enough. It sounds like its ripping so I just want to be sure I am not busting the pad.

Anyone have any idea how this comes off?
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit

qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 » 18 Jul 2009 14:24

jonmorine wrote:I know this thread is a year old but I was going to remove my steering wheel to put a new one on and I am not seeing how the horn pad comes off.

I have the wheel removal kit so I should be good once I can actually see the nut. I have done it in a couple other cars but the pad would just pop off. This one doesn't seem to be the case unless I am just not pulling hard enough. It sounds like its ripping so I just want to be sure I am not busting the pad.

Anyone have any idea how this comes off?

If it is a stock steering wheel like this:

Grab it in the middle of the pad, push in and twist counter clockwise. Same thing for the smaller SSS wheel pad.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 18 Jul 2009 15:17

The first time you might want to disconnect the battery or the horns. With little practice you can get the pad off quick enough not to bother.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson