The Bronze - '69er Resto Project and continuing build-up.

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
User avatar
Byron510
Moderator
Posts: 12325
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 23:06
Location: Maple Ridge, BC

Re: The Bronze - '69er Resto Project and continuing build-up.

Post by Byron510 » 21 May 2020 10:18

Geez - been a while since I updated my own thread!

The Bronze was put back to EFI this past winter It was fun playing with the carbs. For the first time ever (since I went to EFI in 2005) I had both a master set of jets, a number of choke sizes and a wide band A/F meter - all of which made the chore of setting up a set of carbs properly, just a simple process of trial and error. It was very interesting to watch how under the exact same circumstances, where a jetting change on a main, effects everything else in some way, or a change in the pilot jets would do the same... it was educational to say the least.

Anyways, the Bronze is not going on the road anytime soon, but I drive it at least twice a week... around the yard! However I have been having intermittent ignition issues again. It's starts with a little jump on the tack, and gets to the point where the thing wont run. Again I''m back to corrosion in the connections between the ignition module and the GM coils.
So....
I broke down and bought some genuine AC Delco OEM coils to replace my aftermarket ones that came with the SDS EFI system back in the 90's when it was purchased. The new ones came in the mail on Tuesday at less than 1/4 the cost of the local auto parts store... I don't mind paying a bit more fro local source, but when I get quote $137 for the exact same part that I can get online for $30.... You know I like to also contribute to my own retirement plan in stages - opposed to a lump sum!
The quality of the OEM part is better; the clamping pressure on the push in connectors is definitely stronger, and the plating on the terminals and on the coil posts is also better. Otherwise, they look the same because I can;t see the unit internally.

The rust that was taking place in the internal connection can be seen staining the outside of the old coil here, and on the terminals...
IMG_5651 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5651 (Medium).JPG (112.82 KiB) Viewed 126 times
IMG_5652 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5652 (Medium).JPG (120.52 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Anyways, I cleaned up the terminals the best I could, resealed the connection to the igniter box, bolted the new coils back on and numbered them as per the old units. My label machine decal isn't going to hold out like the old numbers did. I'll have to look for said stenciled lettering, maybe the local stationary store.
IMG_5653 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5653 (Medium).JPG (139.67 KiB) Viewed 126 times
IMG_5654 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5654 (Medium).JPG (165.77 KiB) Viewed 126 times
IMG_5655 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5655 (Medium).JPG (151.17 KiB) Viewed 126 times
It was nice to have the car fire up, crisp and clean again - with a smooth operating tach. She should be ready for the road trip, whenever we next get the chance.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Post Reply