Whitebird

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
goichi1
Supporter

Re: Whitebird

Post by goichi1 »

[quote="okayfine"]Removed wiring I won't need:
The attachment IMG_5887.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Julian's Wiring copy.jpg
Julian's Wiring copy.jpg (240.38 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Have wife crank engine over. While she is cranking the engine over smack injecters with the back side of your screwdriver, switch between all four, should fire up.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hey Rich, I see what you circled, but I don't remember what that plug is. FWIW, I used a fully KA24DE harness, so there was a lot to pare.

Will give the injectors some what-for today. Going to rummage for some spares. Jeff, any idea about the ECU light when START? If it's supposed to remain on, then I have a wiring issue. But the stumbles I get from the engine suggest it is fuel.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

okayfine wrote:Hey Rich, I see what you circled, but I don't remember what that plug is. FWIW, I used a fully KA24DE harness, so there was a lot to pare.

Will give the injectors some what-for today. Going to rummage for some spares. Jeff, any idea about the ECU light when START? If it's supposed to remain on, then I have a wiring issue. But the stumbles I get from the engine suggest it is fuel.

ECU light doesn't matter.

What codes is it giving you?
okayfine
Supporter

Whitebird LIVES!

Post by okayfine »

Threw a junkyard set of injectors into it, and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpJlxo26eKM

Still some tweeking to do (timing, idle speed). But a lot further along than this morning.

I pulled the rail with the original injectors and turned key to START to see what they sprayed like. #2 didn't do anything, as expected, and the other three did something...but then I recognize that I didn't really know what it should look like. Reinstalled the rail, changed out the injectors, and Bob's yer uncle.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510rob

Post by 510rob »

awesome!
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Good deal man. You can send them off to get cleaned or just chance it. Ebay has plenty for a decent price. Glad its running though. Almost time for another fun run.
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
Pista_510

Post by Pista_510 »

That's fantastic; great result....! :)
spriso

Post by spriso »

congrats-- glad to hear that it all works!

Looking forward to hearing about the first test drive!

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Good job Julian, now drive! :D
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Nothing is sweeter than hearing your engine start after solving those "not so obvious" problems

Props!!!
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Thanks everyone. We'll see what happens when I put it in gear.
icehouse

Re: Whitebird LIVES!

Post by icehouse »

okayfine wrote:Threw a junkyard set of injectors into it, and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpJlxo26eKM

Still some tweeking to do (timing, idle speed). But a lot further along than this morning.

I pulled the rail with the original injectors and turned key to START to see what they sprayed like. #2 didn't do anything, as expected, and the other three did something...but then I recognize that I didn't really know what it should look like. Reinstalled the rail, changed out the injectors, and Bob's yer uncle.

Damn you were supposed to smack them with the screwdriver so I would have been right..... haha :) The Nissan side feed injectors get stuck super easy if the sit for to long.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Nice job Julian. Glad it was as simple as that. First drive oh ya!!! in the words of Angel Flores to Walt contemplating on driving his not so ready 510 to Summit Point one year from NY, "Does it run? does it stop? Let's Go!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

First Drive

Post by okayfine »

So, here's a funny thing. I backed the car out to put it on the lawn and give it a bath. There was clinking from the back, which I thought a bit odd. Finished washing up and stuck it back on the drive to check timing, etc. More clinking. Pop the trunk, there's only the old trunk package shelf sitting in there loose, so I pull it out, then head out to get some gas.

Along the way, lots more clinking. It didn't seem too ominous, nothing felt bad. Then I figured it out...it's the hinged gates for the baffles!! :lol: They're clicking and clacking closed as gas moves around. How bizarre.

So, initial drive impressions. After working through some sitting issues (brakes grabbed initially, trans grunched in reverse before it pumped up the slave), it drove pretty nicely. Not 100% yet, but I felt no fear in taking it straight from the garage to go get some gas. Normally I'd putter around the neighborhood for a while.

Things to do? Not much. Temp gauge doesn't read, but I ground the wire and the gauge is still functional, so there's something wrong with the new sender, which is kind of a PITA. Idle is a few hundred rpm high, and the cold-start might have some issues. We'll see if those get better through some actual driving.

It felt good to have it back on the road. Added the current reg sticker, so I'm GTG.