Whitebird

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Whitebird

Post by okayfine »

Received the used S14 throttle body. Everything Spriso said about it in the AAC thread is true (and more, since the TPS mounting is slightly different, so I had to modify my S13 TPS). But I knew that (except for the TPS bit, oops). I was interested in the S14 TB because of the integrated cold-start. The way I figure it is this:

-Install the S14 TB
-Disconnect AAC from the ECU
-Integrated cold-start does its thing, then I just need to set the idle speed via the AAC valve and everything should be GTG.

I rotated the cold-start cam on the S14 TB and, as long as it works as advertised with hot coolant, the TB butterfly will completely close the TB bore.

I've got it all back together, but have to get ready for a BBQ. Good to let Whitebird think about what it's done, and subliminally suggest that it get with the sub-1000rpm idle program. And I still need to make a new throttle cable mounting plate off the intake manifold to account for the rotated S14 throttle wheel.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Success!

Post by okayfine »

Thanks, Lou, for cluing me in to how the S14 TB and cold-start work. I started up the car to a successfully dropping idle as it warmed up. I still have to make a new bracket to hold the throttle cable (S14 intake curves down from top instead of up from bottom like S13, so the throttle wheel is not clocked correctly for stock S13 cable location). But that was the final hurdle!

Engine warmed up and once the cold-start clicked off the engine died. This was with the AAC idle screw fully clockwise/closed, so I just opened it up some, restarted, then adjusted the idle to spec. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510rob

Post by 510rob »

yay
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

One thing for sure Julian, the inner workings of that system are no longer a mystery! Good job thanks for documenting.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

It's nice when something works the way it should. Good on you Julian.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

My pleasure Julian as it's always nice to help out and who doesn't love a success story? Nice job and glad you tamed the beast.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi Julian, I missed something here. So what was the actual issue? The TB was being held open?....

Thanks.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That's the main problem. While I fixed it, I never found the actual issue. If I reconnect the AAC to the ECU, I will still have a high idle, despite the AAC checking out via FSM specs, despite the AAC being wired correctly at the ECU and CAN/AM board, despite the ECU Coolant Temp Sensor reporting expected values.

Background: everything stock and hooked up and functional (by way of FSM specs), my engine-warm idle was ~1600rpm. Disconnect the AAC valve from the ECU and idle dropped to ~1100rpm. Tape up the TB bore and idle dropped to ~500, so the AAC valve, with no ECU signal, was still passing air to the engine.

Replaced AAC valve with no change. S13 TB butterfly does not fully seal the TB bore, but no amount of my adjusting the butterfly could get a perfect seal. My solution is as at the top of this page: S14 TB with mechanical cold-start, set idle via disconnected AAC.

I still need to install the throttle cable and take it for a drive, but the fix has resulted in similar engine-warm running conditions (idle air through the AAC) as before, so I don't foresee any problems there.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Whitebird has left the building! It's headed back north today, so if you're out on the I5 between LA and the Bay Area, wave to Brian, the new owner! He might stop for gas and a break, but I left him a full tank and he can make it home non-stop :lol:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

So where's "North"? Will the new owner stay in touch here on the Realm?

Congrats again onthe sale. It must have been bitter sweet to see it drive away.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I got Whitebird back to being a reliable driver, and the new owner is going to actually drive it. Even if I hadn't sold it, it'd still be in the garage most of the time, so I'm glad it's gone to someone who'll use it.

North is the Fairfield, California area. The new owner is a 0-post Realm member and he said he may post here from time to time. Bit of a drive ahead of him today, but it's a perfect day for it (at least here in SoCal). Cruises nice at 80mph, too.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Perfect up here in NorCal also. Tell him to stop here, I want to see your your/his car! ;)
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Ahh man what a feeling that must have been. Cant wait to see the next project on the horizon weather its a 510 or a space shuttle.
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Buyer reported in - 80mph, 30mpg, and 400 miles with no problems and lots of attention.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

okayfine wrote:Buyer reported in - 80mph, 30mpg, and 400 miles with no problems and lots of attention.
...can't beat that!