Ecotec 510

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
icehouse

Re: Ecotec 510

Postby icehouse » 04 Mar 2017 23:29

Bad ass rear control arm!! Do you at all worry about the heim joints breaking? Since they are designed to be in tension or compression and you are side loading them when cornering force is applied? Also what does one of them weigh?
I liked Hainz better...... Can we trade back?

ecotec510

Re: Ecotec 510

Postby ecotec510 » 05 Mar 2017 06:45

Steinny wrote:Just read through this build. Amazing job man. One quick question, do you have any pictures of what you did to the rear upper shock mount? Looks like your coilover has a spherical bearing on the top hat as well and was curious. Keep up the great work!

Just a simple clevis mount with room to offset the shock outboard of the oem hole. This gives me clearance on the inner wheelwell, and packages the shock high enough that I can use all the travel.

rearcoilover (Small).jpg
rearcoilover (Small).jpg (103.56 KiB) Viewed 78 times
shockclevis (Small).jpeg
shockclevis (Small).jpeg (54.57 KiB) Viewed 78 times

icehouse wrote:Bad ass rear control arm!! Do you at all worry about the heim joints breaking? Since they are designed to be in tension or compression and you are side loading them when cornering force is applied? Also what does one of them weigh?

The rear arm heims are monsters! Alloy 4340 3/4 shank/ 5/8 bore something like 25k lbs rating. Overkill so I don't have to worry about wearing them out or breaking one. They're not really being side loaded, it's more of a moment force. The outboard is mounted horizontally, it is adjustable up and down to tweak roll center height.

reararm (Small).jpg
reararm (Small).jpg (97.44 KiB) Viewed 78 times

Return to “Featured Project Builds”