butters68 build

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: butters68 build

Post by bertvorgon »

That's a great picture! Interesting that he has a TOYO MOTORS "Bolder Tint" on there. In the 70's and early 80's, one of those on your car...if you wanted to be racey.....was a Bolder Tint...flavour of the day.

Glad your sale went quickly for you Mike, look after your self!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

thanks Keith, i've got a few things going down that will keep me from being able to do a lot of stuff( walk, drive) you know the every day stuff.
in the long run it will make things better.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

Dan here, Butters new owner. Finally was able to log in........It was a pleasure dealing with Mike on the sale of Butters, we talked on Sunday and I was able to come over and look at the car. Mike, my wife, and myself took it for a quick drive and it sold itself.
Its a beautiful car well done and well taken care of.
You should be very proud of your car Mike.
And we will be over for the show as you asked.
Right now I'm just planning a few small upgrades for the chassis, and if possible maybe a LZ motor (cant get that racing out of my blood)
And Keith thanks for noticing the TOYO MOTORS on my race car, Bob was such a good friend who always took the time to answer all my dumb questions. The motor in that car was one that he built,and probably one of the last ones he ever did. I miss talking to him.

Dan
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Welcome to the site Dan!

I too knew Bob as his shop was just down the street from where I worked in the 70's. He helped me out a lot when I started racing, I even made the "grade" to be able to have coffee with him at the lunch hour in the inner sanctum. Once he saw I was serious about the whole race thing, that made a huge difference as he did not suffer fools too lightly.

He bailed me out one time when my main shaft failed in my transmission and I had a major points race coming up. He somehow got one out of Japan and had my transmission rebuilt just in time. Never forgot that.

Nice that Mikes car has stayed in the Province, it is a beauty. Here is a picture of "Butters" and my "Great Rolling Dyno" during our Octoberfast Drive, 2016
Attachments
IMGP1732 (Small).JPG
IMGP1732 (Small).JPG (142.14 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Dan/Keith :
Was Bobs shop all ways in Richmond on Bridgeport, or did he have another location as well ??
Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

Hi Greg the only location I knew was 12040 Bridgeport.
Cool picture Keith. Good comment about Bob not suffering fools kindly,
I saw that a few times. Actually I was asking him way back about turbo charging, he told me he didn't know much about it but knew a guy who did and he would introduce me to him. That would have been you. Small world . Never did go that route though.

Dan
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Toyo Motors, ( Bob Sr.) was always on Bridgeport, just near # 5 Road. His son now has a shop just off #6 Road, still called TOYO MOTORS, Bob Jr., he races a car at Skagit Speedway.

Bob could tell right away if you knew what you were taking about, so I always made sure my questions were well founded, which was hard then as the Internet did not exist and there were very few books available in Vancouver at the time.

Bob was kinda curious about my car with the turbo on it, as I actually had it working quite well at the time. I took him for a ride one day and he was impressed, which boosted (pun intended) my ego immensely. In the mid 70's we still had 98 octane Premium fuel, so I was getting away with running 15 PSI boost. I finally popped a head gasket and Bob sold me one he used in his race car motors, so I never had a problem after that. There were no waste gates then, so boost control was done by maintaining engine breathing restrictions ( exhaust and intake size). I decided to start changing things of course and took the stock exhaust apart and put in the "Turbo" muffler and a better flowing air filter. Well, that just let the boost go way up past 12 PSI and it did not take many slaloms and road trips to finally finish off #3 cylinder head gasket. Then, as I mentioned, the torque was going up and the roadster 5spd did not like that at all, hence the main shaft failure ( I bent it). Bob was IMPRESSED with that!

As there was very few turbo ANYTHING back then, most of the guys that bought the suck through kits all killed their motors, I was likely the only one that really stuck with turbo charging long term. I did buy, stupid money then, a thing Made by IMPCO, A TC2 boost controller. What it was an air controlled restriction in the intake...and restrict it did. Felt like the motor was trying to suck through a straw. I still have that sitting in a box, a bit of historical junk from the early days of aftermarket turbocharging. I should post up a picture.

Enough of my rambling.

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I just had this picture of Butters show up on Facebook.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1502517076259.jpg
FB_IMG_1502517076259.jpg (196.04 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

I think I know who took that pic :P
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

thats awesome man thanks for putting that on here. :D
glad to see butters is out and about.
Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

That would be Port Alberni Thunder in The Valley. The wife wanted to go up. The response to the car is actually overwhelming Mike.
Everyone comes over with a big smile and a story. And we always give you full credit for the build.
Get well Mike.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

thanks dan, i just wanted to build a nice clean car that can be enjoyed by all.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

hey guys, just wanted to stop in and let you know whats about to go down. :) so this monday i will be going in for surgery on my right foot, long over due. its a day surgery should be done in 2 hours. if all goes well i will back in the datsun game very soon, hope later this year. :mrgreen:
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

great to here mike !
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Good to hear, let us know how it goes, I have a good roll of Gorilla Duct tape if we need to tape things !

Keith Law