More progress yesterday-- I got the driver's side dog leg welded in and decided it was time to do something a little more fun than rust repair.
The driver's door needs to have the window frame installed, which meant that it needed to be fitted to the body so I could determine the correct gaps so it fits in the frame properly, as well as having the weather strip fit correctly.
First the door shell was fitted with some new hinges, and then to make sure that I had the gaps correct, I pulled a NOS fender out of stock and fitted that as well:
Of course, there was lots of adjusting to get the gaps right and having everything sit correctly. Then I decided I should also check the passenger side sheet metal to see how that fit (and to have a way to confirm the door fitment).
About 20-years ago, I was very fortunate to find a NOS Bluebird Coupe door which has been patiently waiting for this day. I pulled it out of inventory, finally having a reason to fit it to the car:
I put some NOS door hinges on the door and did a first test fit:
Needs a little more adjustment, but as a first fitment, it looks promising. I also added a NOS front fender for the passenger side which will need to have the marker hole welded up and the hole drilled for the fender mirror too:
Nothing beats the crisp, sharp lines of new sheet metal...