1972 510 2dr --STRESS RELIEF--

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
proflex
Supporter

Re: 1972 510 2dr --STRESS RELIEF--

Post by proflex »

More picture as promised :)
Attachments
PO email picture
PO email picture
At shop after picking at some rust areas
At shop after picking at some rust areas
PO email picture  --   trunk area with wires hidden under painted duck tape for an old brake light in window?
PO email picture -- trunk area with wires hidden under painted duck tape for an old brake light in window?
Last edited by proflex on 04 Sep 2010 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Some work already done.
At work I did do a little sheet metal work. Small piece for inner fender area, new fender mounting lip pieces along with the start {12 inches} of the outer fender/strut structure area. I could then remove some temporary bracing and bring the car home. Next was sectioning the front wheel wells at the rear for more tire clearance and to repair the seam rust removed earlier from this area. I also made up some gusset braces for some added strength.
Attachments
Inner fender area
Inner fender area
IMG_0405 - 25% Copy.JPG
Before
Before
Last edited by proflex on 04 Sep 2010 09:38, edited 2 times in total.
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

More...
Attachments
After
After
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

After working on this car it seems to me that these cars rust from the inside out. I put the car up on the hoist and used a lighted flexible borescope to look inside many of the hidden areas. Some spots that didn’t look too bad from the outside did look like they needed attention after viewing them from the inside. Why did the factory not use a seam sealer :x on areas like the bottom of the outer floor seam? The front bumper mount area was left wide open so the elements could go in between three sandwiched pieces of sheet metal and start rusting things from the inside out. All they had to do was seal things up a little better. {rant over , I feel better now}.
I’m trying to get caught up on posting work that has been done already so here are some more pictures starting at the front of the car.

---- Chad ----
Attachments
Parts made for front valance
Parts made for front valance
Before.... rust converter. clean. rust converter/primer before Por15 with weld through primer on edges
Before.... rust converter. clean. rust converter/primer before Por15 with weld through primer on edges
After....
After....
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

:arrow:
Attachments
Some more pieces I made up
Some more pieces I made up
Before...
Before...
After.... outer fender  and  bumber mount area
After.... outer fender and bumber mount area
Last edited by proflex on 04 Sep 2010 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

I did have to make these outer fender areas out of two parts to get all the shapes/angles in. I was mainly concerned about strength here so I went overboard and used 18 gauge on everything {hard to bend}. Put them on with many large spot/plug welds and welded up some of the seams as well. Started some undercoat scraping as well.
Attachments
L/side top
L/side top
L/side
L/side
R/side
R/side
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

:shock:

That's some nice panel beating. I hope I never have to think about stuff like that.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

okayfine wrote:I hope I never have to think about stuff like that.
(dont remove your fenders then ;) )
talk about stress!!! :evil:
i need a much BFH!

this is why the wagon is STILL sitting :cry:

sooooooo...............
did you ever make an extra for the drivers side??? :lol:

any shots w/the section removed?
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Had the day off today so I spent some time this morning thinking/measuring how I’m going to do the floor. :|
okayfine wrote::shock:

That's some nice panel beating. I hope I never have to think about stuff like that.
Thanks okayfine. Living in BC we have to deal with rust a little more than you CA. guys. :mrgreen:

Sorry hang_510 , only had time to make one set and I did use both of them. =L&R sides were both done. Have you tried looking for a donor car for the parts you need or maybe try posting up a wanted ad. If you only need a smaller section of this area, and have access to some tools needed to do the job, you could give it a try and make the part yourself. I get way more enjoyment out of working on a build learning how to make and fix things myself, rather than paying someone to do the work. I kind of like the expression "Great cars are built, not bought” and if you help build it yourself, what could be better.
PS. I wouldn’t pass up a new BMW 3 series thou if someone wanted to give me one :D .

---- Chad ----
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

chad is your 510 done yet. :P
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

butters68 wrote:chad is your 510 done yet. :P
Probably in one or two months from now, or is that one or two years. : :lol: I’d be happy to finish the metal work this winter and start on some bodywork. {Did I just say I would be happy to do bodywork} :roll: Maybe have it painted in the spring/summer.
My son and I just came in from the garage. He gave me a hand bead rolling the parts for the front floor.

This last week I did wish the car was finished because of what was done to some of the back roads behind my house.{see pic.} It would have been nice to go and relieve some stress. :wink: :D

---- Chad ----

EDIT = pic. added
Attachments
Only one block from my house, some freshly paved smooth virgin roads. Not even any painted lines yet.
Only one block from my house, some freshly paved smooth virgin roads. Not even any painted lines yet.
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Finished up making the last of the parts this morning for the front floor area. I still need to trim and prep the lower floor before the last pieces can be put in. The rear floors are in good shape and will only need one small 3 inch piece for the very rear corner area.
With the car at home it gives me a chance to show my son how some things are done. He was able to weld for the first time this summer etc... and yesterday I let him roll some of the lines into the bottom floor pieces. My 4 door is going to be his if he shows some interest in helping with it later. Rolling out a rising sun in the front floor pieces is just one of the ideas we have in mind for it. We usually all beat the crap out of our first car so a classic {Ratsun} 510 for him in high school would be cool. We have 3 to 4 years to get it road worthy so we will see how much work he is willing to do, :arrow: = as not much in life is free.

Chad

More pictures - parts needed to do the front floor areas.
{Will post before/after pictures after the lower piece is installed}
Attachments
Parts made for the front floors/area
Parts made for the front floors/area
Parts
Parts
Parts
Parts
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

thatis some nice work on the sheet metal parts, wish I had a bead roler
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

How are those round depressions made a the intersection of the "X"?
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

a press? maybe? ??? looks very nice.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.