Old school 510

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
Bike papa
Supporter

Re: Old school 510

Post by Bike papa »

I decide to replace the 25 year old spark plugs (NGK BPR6ES) the other day ( yes I cleaned and regapped them when I reassembled the motor)
All four were a nice light tan color. I'm guessing that carbs are adjusted pretty close to optimal. I also had the driveshaft u joints replaced and the driveshaft rebalanced. The driveline shop also suggested I change the trans gear oil as I thought it was noisy I used the GM friction modified GL4 when I put it back together. I don't know if the trans is any quieter since the majority of the noise was from the bad u joints but I can honestly say that the trans shifted way better with the GM oil. I think I might change it again just to compare.

I also replaced the fuel pump. I found a place in NY that had Nikko fuel pumps in stock. Price with shipping was very reasonable.
Double checked the timing and dwell angle. Still at 10 degrees BTDC and 50 degrees

Little by little

BP
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (107.21 KiB) Viewed 6551 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Man that motor runs as good as it sounds. I still think you have the smoothest, quietest L series I have ever heard. Those plugs are gorgeous, by the way.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

50° total advance?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

50 degrees dwell angle.
I have an old dwell meter that I use to check the ignition points gap

Joel, yeah it is pretty quiet. i still have to recheck the valve clearances just to make sure nothing has changed.

It's been so long since i used this car on a daily basis that I don't really know what to expect from this motor and I'm not sure that my VW R32 is a good car to compare it to. It pulls pretty good from a stop but it seems to fall off a bit in the higher revs (4500+). but as i mentioned I don't really have a benchmark to compare it to.
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

The ultimate compliment.

I got up early this morning and decided to head over the the Las Vegas franchise of Cars and Coffee. Since I'd never been there before I decided to get there right at 7 am. I parked across from a Cobra Daytona Coupe Replica. While I was getting some stuff out of the car a gentleman walked up to speak with me. It was Peter Brock and it was his Daytona Coupe that I had parked across from. He had seen me drive in and wanted to check out my car. He was genuinely interested in everything I had done and wanted to see everything from under the hood to the trunk. We spoke about some of his projects and he invited me to visit not only his BRE shop but also his trailer fabrication facility. He said that my dime was on of the nicest he had seen in awhile and that it would of more than held it's own at The last JCCS in Long Beach. Yes I built this car for myself. But to receive a compliment from one of the ultimate authorities on 510s. Just made my day. Sorry no pics. I guess I was a bit star struck!

BP

One last item, I was able to meet Dave Patton (FutoFab) last Wednesday Evening. He was in town with his wife and a friend for the SEMA Show.
He's a good guy and it was nice to put a face to the name.
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Ya done good, Joel. But we already knew that.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Excellent Joel, must have been a thrill! No surprise, but very satisfying.

(Did he mention how gorgeous your splash guard was? ;) LOL)
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Joel,
Yeah he took a look at it and said "thank goodness you didn't drill a bunch of holes in it!
I could never figure out why someone would want to do that,"

Just kidding

Joel

I just remembered that Peter Brock gave me his card
The last time I was this star struck is when I was face to face with Angelina Jolie at the Kung Fu Panda Premier
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Bike papa wrote:Joel,
Yeah he took a look at it and said "thank goodness you didn't drill a bunch of holes in it!
:lol:
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

okayfine wrote:
Bike papa wrote:Joel,
:lol:
:lol: :lol: Still cracks me up every time I read it!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Joel,
First it was great to meet up with you Wednesday evening.

On Friday we took a ride out to Hoover Dam and stopped at BRE on the way. We were treated to a tour of the showroom and shop by Gayle Brock and Pete met us as we were ogling over Datzilla. Pete was on his way over to the trailer shop and invited us to go along. So the 3 of us and Pete jumped into his crew cab and he chauffeured us over to the trailer shop.

Joel as a metal fabricator, you need to take Pete up on his tour offer. His Aerovault trailer is an amazing piece of engineering. It weighs 2200#, almost half of what my 24' enclosed trailer weighs. They have created their own shop equipment to build the trailer. They took a 10' press brake and extended it to 16' to fabricate the sidewalls. The rounded nose of the trailer has a radius-ed 1"x 4" (guestimate) tube that forms the base. They made their own roll forming machine to bend it as well as a vertical roll to form the front .120" aluminum nose panel.

Take Pete up on his tour. You will really enjoy it, I did.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

I decided to check the driveshaft alignment the other day. I got it to within two degrees by raising the tail of the transmission. I had it to zero but the trans would hit the underside of the tunnel. From the research I did, two degrees should be acceptable for my application. I am also going to change the transmission fluid back to the GM friction modified.
Whatever they put in at the drive line shop has to warm up before the trans wants to shift smoothly.
BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

I have to ask about those Nikko fuel pumps. Who was it that had some in stock? I would love to get one from them as well. Please let me know...
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

This is where I found them http://classicgarage.com/

I would suggest calling them and asking them to open the box to confirm that they are sending you a Nikko pump.

That's what I did .

BP

Btw. Nice score on the red two door!
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Much appreciated! I called them and they actually had a NOS fuel pump in stock for a 1977 200SX L20B (my engine). He said that he wouldn't charge me for the dust..haha. $60 out the door and it shows up on Friday.

Thanks for the compliment on my car. Have a bunch of pics that need to be uploaded and the project updated.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan