68 CDN going to be all like JDM yo!

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
RMS
Supporter

68 CDN going to be all like JDM yo!

Post by RMS »

its finally time to start reworking my first 510, a 1968 Canadian 4dr that still had plastic on the doors stock seats and a 1600(that now lives in my wagon). it was the first in a long line of datsuns bought from Jason and out of the nine dimes Ive owned it is my favorite. ImageImageImagemany mistakes have been made to and with this car over the years but i have learned a lot since I removed the plastic from the doors :cry:
like when I used por15 in the engine bay and floor pans or the time I took a 350lb buddy for a ride and tore the sway bar bracket clean off in a right turn. the car has been good to me even though I have not been too good to it. its been in the snow, off road and into the side of a week old SLK that pulled a U turn in front of me. rather than using the horses at his disposal he jammed on the ceramics. I hit him square in the rear hub getting his door, 1/4 and wheel. my shiny brass rad got pushed so far that it tore the dizzy from the cover. icbc payed me 1800 for my troubles witch I promptly spent on speed parts. with the L16 smashed I dropped in a 2L with a down draft webber and a long shaft dog leg. it then became my club run and auto X car. she now needs some love and will be home to many fun parts bought during my Ebay addiction days. im sticking with the stock color running all the chrome and badges to give it that classic look then it will get some libras and sticky boots. it will be like wearing a tux with running shoes ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by RMS on 27 Dec 2013 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
RMS
Supporter

Re: 68 CDN going to be all like JDM yo!

Post by RMS »

(hour 3)yesterday I got the hood, fenders, grill, lights, rad and such off the car in preparation for the motor pull.
I'm going to be swapping the downdraft for a pair of sidedrafts with 34mm chokes on a goose neck cannon intake. with three inches to spare between the carbs and brake master there should be room for a modified subaru air cleaner. Image ImageImageImage
I need to measure the spray pattern of the water/meth injection nozzle to see if I can get away with using two on this setup as the nozzles are to big to run four. Image Image
man I got a lot of por15 that needs to be removed, will I have to mechanically remove it? what is the best way to tackle it?
Last edited by RMS on 28 Dec 2013 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

last night I pulled the L20b supporting a blown hg, and striped the bay. I only broke one horn bolt so that was nice, then poked around a bit with a razor blade. Im happy to report that the por15 is comming off nicely with a razor. im very thankful I did a shat job with the prep work :wink: Image
(hour 5)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You are lucky, because properly applied POR 15 simply doesn’t come off! :cry:

I used the product on the Greg Terry front struts after sandblasting and prepping as per instructions. I didn’t thin out the paint, and I had a few runs so I decided I would blast the paint off and try again... no way! My blast room has a 1" pipe at 120 psi through a 1/4" nozzle using ceramic media.. it would hardly touch the stuff. Where there were runs and the paint was think (and two months cured), I had to first take a sanding disc to the POR 15 and then finish it off in the blaster. Now I think back that I've done the entire bottom of the car in this stuff. If some poor sap in 40 years does the next restoration, man I feel bad for him!

Good progress, if you had 440, you could hook up my compressor and give 'er bullets!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

Byron510 wrote:
Good progress, if you had 440, you could hook up my compressor and give 'er bullets!

Byron
440...I dream of 220, as it is I have to turn my lights off to run a compressor. ever try painting in the dark?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

with the engine bay slowly becoming void of paint, I must visit what paint system im going to use. I would like the finished car to have as close to stock color appearance as possible. not being happy with the finish and skill level required for the single stage paint I used on my wagon, I was thinking of going base clear. I have access to a booth and a more skilled painter but I would like to do the majority of the work my self .

I just finished painting a 1953 dodge m37 in pieces with a red oxide primer and a forgiving industrial enamel thined with zyleen . Image

along with redoing my 68 4dr I am also building another m37 that will need painthttp://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6124

the m37 will be getting an industrial enamel topcoat and the datsun... some kind of base clear system?

so with that in mind what primer should i use (a single part primer is preferable) that will be compatible with today's (i believe) water base automotive paints and an industrial enamel?
iceD

Post by iceD »

"... thinned with Zyleen...", I hope you were wearing your super hero costume that crap will clean the skin right off of your bones.

ice D
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

coveralls cowl mask with new cartridges are the minimum requirements for superheroes . fresh air with a full hood would be nice but i don't have the resources that Mr freeze has. when spraying the wagon i got dosed with m.e.ks, they went in through my eyes. I didn't feel right for days. i learned my lesson, if the fan cant keep the booth clear get someone else to spray.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

the razor blade action is almost complete. then its on to sanding the seams Image
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Nice to see results from all the hard work.

These cats use the back of old hack saw blades to scrape off the paint, don't have razor blades or sandpaper!:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGpo7KRzTyI
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I just burned up 90 minutes watching 2 episodes... thanks Joel :D

Many can learn from this stuff - proof there is a balance between rat and concurs - these guys have found that and the honest dream lives on.

Cool to watch - something raw but slightly refined; a refreshing break to say the least.

BTW, good to see progress Robyn. Let me know when you are ready to move on the rear X member.

We'll talk front struts as well - I have some ideas that aren't far off of these Bagnor Bangers...as in zero budget.

Byron
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

great link joel!

I striped my first m37 with a razor blade while off on compo with a crush injury to my right arm. it took three months but it beat sitting in front of the tv. I first saw the hacksaw paint stripping action on topgear. it works great on flat panels and I realized by watching the cuban's that I did not need a fancy shop or a lot of tools to complete a project.

looking forward to working on the suspension and seeing how things gets done outside of the third world :)

after the por15 was removed with a razor the job sped up and the paint fell to the floor Image

the surface tension of the por15 was so strong that a wire wheel would only polish it, the coarse dg disks packed up, 60 grit on the dg moved it but made sparks fly and with the 510 being so thin to begin with I did not want to remove any metal.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Damn - just clear coat the engine bay as is - nothing better than metal!

Great job.

Byron
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

front end is almost void of paint Image
thanks Byron its been a lot of work with stiff frozen hands, the air tools have been freezing up.

I decided to take a brake from stripping and started sorting all my fasteners. did datsun use a different fastener for every component? there are so many small differences from length to washer size, built in lock washers with flat washers to just flat or just lock. with a fillips or with a 4 or 7 or 8 or 9 or is it a 6 :?. then you get down even farther to find that there are variations with the #4. can any one tell me were these #4s go? they came off a wagon and I believe some had a large removable flat washer.Image Image

are any of these datsun and if so were do they go?Image

anyone know when the door striker plate bolts changed from a recessed fillips (similar to a fender bolt but with a built in lock washer and no flat washer) to a non recessed fillips with a lock?ImageImage
Last edited by RMS on 24 Jan 2014 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
James

Post by James »

Byron510 wrote:Damn - just clear coat the engine bay as is - nothing better than metal!

No kidding - That's a lot of elbow grease to get to that point - KILLER!
Finished is better than perfect......