68 CDN going to be all like JDM yo!

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
RMS
Supporter

Re: 68 CDN going to be all like JDM yo!

Post by RMS »

blah! if your going to make a custom bumper why not hide that ugly winch. And again with the spindly looking diff and ugly wheels. then its topped off with the cheapest princes auto looking turn signals I do like the colour but with the red shackles its Christmassy
the right turn signals :arrow: Image
Imagea simple bud wheelImageor a bit of colour has a clean simple look that a pw needsImage
and if I could get a motor out of your buddy under the hood should look like thisImage

now back to the 510... I need some colour options
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

RMS wrote:now back to the 510... I need some colour options
Boy howdy, there's a can of worms! Do you like solid colors (ala factory), or metallics? Porsche also has lots of nice solid colors to choose from.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

okayfine wrote:Boy howdy, there's a can of worms!
i know but they can be low to the ground and come in many variety's like a 510 :P

okayfine wrote:Do you like solid colors (ala factory), or metallics?
my problem is I have never liked a single colour. when I look at something be it a car or a landscape it is never one single colour that attracts my eye but the contrast, the blending or how the colours complement each other. take my stock wagon for example ya its a nice red but its just red. what makes it pop for me is how well the red works with the black and chrome its even the right red to match the blue on the datsun badge and lettering on the lic plate. the only real problem for me is when I look at the wagon all I can see is how fn horrid the orange of the markers are. I hate how the orange pops out at me, to the point im thinking I will forgo getting collector plates in favour of clear lenses Image

I really like how everything so far on the 68 works together. the green and gold work perfect together with the silver and chrome. any black will incorporated nicely with all the colours but I don't want to add more black or silver. I keep coming back to something with depth that will pop and stand out with out contrasting the way the orange of the markers do on the wagon. as im already thinking something with depth will work im afraid I could be alienating other colours.

frustrated with colour I went out side and did a little heat and beat to clearance the front tire scrub area. managed to lose 3/4in of leg room Image ImageImageImage
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Add more caster Robyn - improves the handling and stability and there won't be the need for this clearancing...

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Hey Robyn, according to what I was taught in school,the complimentary colour to green is magenta,just sayin' Ron.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

Byron510 wrote:Add more caster Robyn - improves the handling and stability and there won't be the need for this clearancing...

Byron
doh.. i did not know this. I thought it was needed as a lot of car's have a quarter sized(or larger) rub mark through the under coat, often on one side ? I cant go back now :? :lol:
RONSLYCHUK wrote:Hey Robyn, according to what I was taught in school,the complimentary colour to green is magenta,just sayin' Ron.
Ron its funny you mention magenta. it was the first colour I thought of. not because I was paying attention in school. but because of the hours spent looking at the pre primmer Rust Mort type stuff (Rust Check rust converter) I put on the metal work to stop it from flashing. the pic does not do it justice. had thought I could clear coat over the rust check and call it dun but I would need to pull out the lux and polish the steel to get a good Finnish. Image
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

Chameleon SapphireImage
raspberrysparkleImage
superplumImage
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Nice!
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

striping banging and welding striping banging and welding striping banging and welding.... will it ever end?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

why I no back up. :x lost the last 6months of pics after a 2 TB hard drive failed :cry:

so long before pics and .gif paint scraping montage. yes I made a paint scraping montage, (montage). there were so many pics of paint being scraped that I had to compile them all into a montage. yes a paint scraping montage (montage). I wanted to show the passage of time with the paint being scraped right off, all in one up load. i would have been there with my paint scraping montage (montage) :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol:

OK back to the project.

Ive stepped away from body work for a time and started looking at the power plant. I have a recently rebuilt short block L20B .030 over with stock dished pistons. I will need to inspect the bottom end as I was having pre ignition problems with a 210 head on 94 . besides possible damage to the bearing is there other things I should inspect?

knowing Im not going to run the 210 head I started looking at what parts I have. found 3 u67 heads and went looking for some specs but I could not find any numbers pertaining to head thickness. can any one tell me how thick a u67 is stock?
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

hey Robyn, most of the time extreme detonation will mostly affect the piston itself. look
for broken piston and piston rings, and the lands between rings.

only way to really know is to remove the pistons. this would also give you a chance to inspect
the bearings.

Good luck... Aron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

RMS wrote:why I no back up. :x lost the last 6months of pics after a 2 TB hard drive failed :cry:

so long before pics and .gif paint scraping montage. yes I made a paint scraping montage, (montage). there were so many pics of paint being scraped that I had to compile them all into a montage. yes a paint scraping montage (montage). I wanted to show the passage of time with the paint being scraped right off, all in one up load. i would have been there with my paint scraping montage (montage) :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol:

OK back to the project.

Ive stepped away from body work for a time and started looking at the power plant. I have a recently rebuilt short block L20B .030 over with stock dished pistons. I will need to inspect the bottom end as I was having pre ignition problems with a 210 head on 94 . besides possible damage to the bearing is there other things I should inspect?

knowing Im not going to run the 210 head I started looking at what parts I have. found 3 u67 heads and went looking for some specs but I could not find any numbers pertaining to head thickness. can any one tell me how thick a u67 is stock?
Pulled off of Ratsun...courtesy of KAZ Engine Builder

New thickness for a '76 Datsun u67 head is 4.260
minimum thickness is 4.245

I'll try to substantiate this later as I know I’ve seen this spec printed somewhere...

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Robyn, I made it my duty tonight to answer this question for you.

I'm going to say that I have a pretty good Datsun book library of printed stuff. And I knew where I had seen this measurement for sure - Frank Honsowetz HP Books 'How to Modify Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine. Page 55, RH column as pictured below.
Then I went looking for factory information. Now I’ve bought just about any publication containing Datsun data of the mid 60’s – early 80’s that I ever came across - paid dumb money for some, but mostly it's never worth that much. Nowhere in any factory literature, or any other publication (and I have many) could I find reference to the thickness of the cylinder head new. So where did "KAZ Engine Builder" get this specific information? ‘Inquiring minds would like to know’! I might drop him a PM one day, I'm curious where I've managed to miss this information. What's printed by Frank does not match what KAZ Engine Builder posted - but I cannot verify the source of either piece of information. there is a max difference of .042" which is a hair over 1mm - a country mile in my books considering the factory literature suggests no more than a combined 0.008" (0,2mm) total ever be removed from the combination of the head surface and/or the block deck. The printed difference between these two sources is over 5X that. So, I am curious what the real answer is.

One day soon I'll be pulling Old Blue's head off simply to refresh the gasket. It's unlikely that it's ever been apart considering the mileage. I can compare this to the measurement of the new V912 head I have… somewhere in the “turbo LZ project stash”….

But you do have something to go on for now Robyn. Hope it helps.

Byron
Attachments
L-Cyl Head Thickness.jpg
L-Cyl Head Thickness.jpg (170.73 KiB) Viewed 4389 times
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

:? :? :?
Byron510 wrote:hen I went looking for factory information. Now I’ve bought just about any publication containing Datsun data of the mid 60’s – early 80’s that I ever came across - paid dumb money for some, but mostly it's never worth that much. Nowhere in any factory literature, or any other publication (and I have many) could I find reference to the thickness of the cylinder head new
I did the same and thought I had found the answer with the how to modify book till I compared the 4.218 with my thickest lose u67 head @ 4.247 next thickest was @ 4.238 :? :? :?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I looked and couldn't find a number in the FSM, Chassis or Engine. Datzenmike has posted a number before, lemme search.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25919&p=220609&hil ... ht#p220609

...which doesn't make any sense from a metric-system POV. 108mm is 4.252, 107.5mm is 4.232.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson