the old DGV sat in the corner, resting on a stock manifold, posed to take possession of its former place on the head. If the fight with the goose and its DCOE's ends badly new fuel lines and thermostat bypass lines will need to be made, along with draining the rad .
the battle began on friday with a slow start from wet plugs, once running things were pretty good then the heat got into it and it was down hill. hissing, popping shaking and farting. I added springs, tuned screws nothing seamed to help. cool it down and its ok. friday ended with a headache and co poisoning.
saturday I started from scratch and tore the carbs and linkage apart. the geometry of the linkage was off. after talking it over with Terry the decision to move the rod was made. two 1 1/16in stainless spacer plates did the trick leading to drilling and remounting the stock pivot, shortening the rod and hundreds of other little adjustments.
sunday I tore in to the carbs after hard starts and ruff running . frustrated I started to rip into the carbs. narrowly searing more meat on the 2000deg header, I got the linkage off and to my surprise the throttle shafts on each carb were stiff and binding ......saturday when I had the linkage off and the motor cold the shafts worked fine......
I loosened the nuts and the butterflies worked great. inspection of the washers showed small dents allowing the washer to bind on the body......but it only did it when hot
within minutes of getting everything back together I had her idling smoothly @ 800 and only huffing out a big black cloud when matted.... it has a bit of a stumble (like over rich) around 2000 to 3200
even on this cool morning she came to life with ease and ran smooth
long live the goose neck !