USA to Western Australia my two door 510 build

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
Post Reply
harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 14 May 2015 21:17

Some more progress in getting the car back together.
Attachments
IMG_6358.jpg
IMG_6358.jpg (70.85 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
IMG_6356.jpg
IMG_6356.jpg (63.25 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
IMG_6357.jpg
IMG_6357.jpg (65.97 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
IMG_6355.jpg
IMG_6355.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
IMG_6354.jpg
IMG_6354.jpg (55.89 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 14 May 2015 21:25

Did some work front end of the car. Removed the old radiator support given the front has squared up now. Getting ready to put the replacement one on.
Attachments
IMG_6351.jpg
IMG_6351.jpg (85.9 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

User avatar
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter
Posts: 277
Joined: 26 Feb 2014 23:46
Location: South East London, England

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by KiKiIchiBan » 15 May 2015 05:40

Where did you get the rockers/sills from? Any pictures of the front part where the wing/fender bolts to it and the rear unto the dog leg?
Trying to get a better idea of how much work I have to do.
Thanks.
My Bluebird SSS Coupe #25
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

User avatar
Dave Patten
Supporter
Posts: 828
Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:30
Location: Dunbarton, NH
Contact:

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by Dave Patten » 19 May 2015 08:25

The factory rocker includes the weld nut for the fender, but the forward "end cap", about the first 1" or so of the rocker is actually the bottom of the "A" pillar. This is what closes off the rocker box.

The last 4-6" at the rear of the rocker is the outer half of the rear wheelhouse. The rocker "box" is closed off at the rear with a panel that is welded over the opening, inside the rear wheelhouse.

These look to be the same rockers that FutoFab sells. If purchased thru Muscle Car Parts Australia or Phil's Rotary/New Old Car Company they are the same.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH

harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 20 May 2015 01:53

randywanger wrote:Where did you get the rockers/sills from? Any pictures of the front part where the wing/fender bolts to it and the rear unto the dog leg?
Trying to get a better idea of how much work I have to do.
Thanks.
Hope this helps, sorry for the slow response
Attachments
IMG_6623.jpg
IMG_6623.jpg (82.25 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
IMG_6622.jpg
IMG_6622.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
IMG_6621.jpg
IMG_6621.jpg (82.78 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 20 May 2015 02:01

Made a purchase yesterday! :) Hopefully it will be fine, S14 SR20, gearbox, wiring. Intercooler and radiator in the photos won't be used on this car. The seller happily took the rocker cover off and removed spark plugs as well. All the internals looked very clean, in theory the motor was rebuilt not so long ago, along with a new clutch. I can see various gasket are new throughout the motor, but when purchasing second hand its hard to guarantee every thing is perfect. I got it for a very good price, so I was happy to roll the dice.
Attachments
IMG_6719.jpg
IMG_6719.jpg (132.01 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
IMG_6718.jpg
IMG_6718.jpg (132.68 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
IMG_6717.jpg
IMG_6717.jpg (147.02 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

User avatar
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter
Posts: 277
Joined: 26 Feb 2014 23:46
Location: South East London, England

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by KiKiIchiBan » 20 May 2015 05:41

Dave Patten wrote:The factory rocker includes the weld nut for the fender, but the forward "end cap", about the first 1" or so of the rocker is actually the bottom of the "A" pillar. This is what closes off the rocker box.

The last 4-6" at the rear of the rocker is the outer half of the rear wheelhouse. The rocker "box" is closed off at the rear with a panel that is welded over the opening, inside the rear wheelhouse.

These look to be the same rockers that FutoFab sells. If purchased thru Muscle Car Parts Australia or Phil's Rotary/New Old Car Company they are the same.
Brilliant thank you. Still some fabrication required then on my rusty car.

Keep the updates coming.
My Bluebird SSS Coupe #25
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 20 May 2015 06:08

Dave Patten wrote:The factory rocker includes the weld nut for the fender, but the forward "end cap", about the first 1" or so of the rocker is actually the bottom of the "A" pillar. This is what closes off the rocker box.

The last 4-6" at the rear of the rocker is the outer half of the rear wheelhouse. The rocker "box" is closed off at the rear with a panel that is welded over the opening, inside the rear wheelhouse.

These look to be the same rockers that FutoFab sells. If purchased thru Muscle Car Parts Australia or Phil's Rotary/New Old Car Company they are the same.
Yes, I've purchased most of my panels through Muscle Car Parts, great service and nice guys!
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 24 May 2015 04:33

Worked on some small projects over the weekend. I stripped and paint the surge tank and fuel tank for the 68 FJ. I haven't started that car yet I want to hear it run before making any decisions on it. I had the fuel tank dipped and clean last week, then rubbed it back and primered it a few times and gave it a final coat of paint. Also started on the steering column for the 2 two door, use chemical stripper to start.
Attachments
IMG_6346.jpg
IMG_6346.jpg (78.57 KiB) Viewed 979 times
IMG_6593.jpg
IMG_6593.jpg (102.09 KiB) Viewed 979 times
IMG_6677.jpg
IMG_6677.jpg (106.12 KiB) Viewed 979 times
IMG_6700.jpg
IMG_6700.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 979 times
IMG_6701.jpg
IMG_6701.jpg (74.77 KiB) Viewed 979 times
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 24 May 2015 04:39

Steering column before final paint.
Attachments
IMG_6759.jpg
IMG_6759.jpg (35.87 KiB) Viewed 978 times
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

User avatar
Byron510
Moderator
Posts: 11922
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 23:06
Location: Maple Ridge, BC

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by Byron510 » 24 May 2015 04:49

harryagain wrote:Worked on some small projects over the weekend. I stripped and paint the surge tank and fuel tank for the 68 FJ. I haven't started that car yet I want to hear it run before making any decisions on it. I had the fuel tank dipped and clean last week, then rubbed it back and primered it a few times and gave it a final coat of paint. Also started on the steering column for the 2 two door, use chemical stripper to start.
That's the spirit, take on another project while neck deep in the first one :D

Having a soft spot for 68's myself, I have to admit that's a pretty cool car in its own right. I'd love to see it saved as another project on its own.

Great work on the 2 Dr car, keep the progress and pics coming.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 26 May 2015 01:38

Byron510 wrote:
harryagain wrote:Worked on some small projects over the weekend. I stripped and paint the surge tank and fuel tank for the 68 FJ. I haven't started that car yet I want to hear it run before making any decisions on it. I had the fuel tank dipped and clean last week, then rubbed it back and primered it a few times and gave it a final coat of paint. Also started on the steering column for the 2 two door, use chemical stripper to start.
That's the spirit, take on another project while neck deep in the first one :D

Having a soft spot for 68's myself, I have to admit that's a pretty cool car in its own right. I'd love to see it saved as another project on its own.

Great work on the 2 Dr car, keep the progress and pics coming.

Byron
Only just scratching the surface of the 68 at the moment. Put the fuel tank and surge tank back into the car yesterday night with my neighbour Michael. Tried turning it over a few times and it became apparent that the low pressure fuel pump wasn't doing it's job and on further investigation nor was the high pressure pump. So i'll take those out and see if they can be cleaned up at all. We then proceed to drop the fuel line in the engine bay and connect a funnel and pour fuel straight into the fuel line (a little agricultural I know). It eventually it started and ran for a little while, 20 seconds or so. I assume the fuel system really needs to be under pressure in order for the car to run correctly? Once I get it running constantly I'll look to post a video of sorts....
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 20 Jun 2015 22:19

Been a little while since my last post, I had little a bit of an episode with a small piece of metal ending up in my eye, even with safety glasses on. Either way some updates of my progress are below...
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 20 Jun 2015 22:51

Started the fitting of intercooler and radiator. It was easier to cut away the area around intercooler then come back and replace the steal in one complete sheet.
Attachments
IMG_6835.jpg
IMG_6835.jpg (95.59 KiB) Viewed 862 times
IMG_6833.jpg
IMG_6833.jpg (96.47 KiB) Viewed 862 times
IMG_6832.jpg
IMG_6832.jpg (90.82 KiB) Viewed 862 times
IMG_6831.jpg
IMG_6831.jpg (100.26 KiB) Viewed 862 times
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

harryagain
Supporter
Posts: 257
Joined: 06 Apr 2008 04:16
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: USA TO WA my two door build

Post by harryagain » 20 Jun 2015 22:54

Quick fitting of the grille to check clearances
Attachments
IMG_6856.jpg
IMG_6856.jpg (94.62 KiB) Viewed 861 times
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563

Post Reply