Chris' 72 Project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Chris' 72 Project

Post by bertvorgon »

Wow...does that ever stick out..that would not fit would it?

This is mine in it's early permutation. My 1600 actually, but my 2 liter is basically the same.

Also, if you are in this project for the long haul, drill a 1/8" NPT hole, somewhere close to where all the exhaust gas is heading into the turbo. Put a nice stainless plug in there( lathered in NeverSeize)....then...you will be ready for an exhaust temp gauge, should you want one down the road. Think about access for the thermocouple probe, when everything is all together.
Attachments
TURBO 16OO_426x600.jpg
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Holy Hell that turbo sticks out far!!! Has anyone test fit it? I test fit the one I build like 10x..... Before I applied the mud :D It looks like it wouldn't be to bad to mod really.

Damn do I love turbo's!!! Can't wait to see a youtube vid when you get her running hint hint :D
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

icehouse wrote:Holy Hell that turbo sticks out far!!! Has anyone test fit it? I test fit the one I build like 10x..... Before I applied the mud :D It looks like it wouldn't be to bad to mod really.

Damn do I love turbo's!!! Can't wait to see a youtube vid when you get her running hint hint :D
I'm hoping Luke will be able to modify it for me. He's a great welder.

Slodat swore up and down that this manifold would work perfect. Well right from the get go this has turn out to be an abortion. I'm not sure if he ever actually test fit it though and judging by how much the machine shop shaved off the flange just to make it flat, I'm guessing it was never test fitted. Or maybe he did and decided to get rid of it because it sucks. I'm just shocked that 3 people actually thought, and still do think it was a Turbo Tom Manifold :roll:

I should have the LZ22 in tomorrow and then I need to make a new MS map. I'm hoping to have it running next week without the turbo. The turbo will be phase 2 of this swap. I want to break in the motor without the turbo on it since I'm not used to turbo cars very much.

Kieth,

Thanks for the pic. It looks similar to the angle of the one Ice just made. I'll see if Luke can "massage" mine to be part of the cool crowd. Oh to be young and a cool header again...where have the days gone...(starring off into the sunset longing for days of yester-year).....ummm what :?
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Hey it may fit, when we test fit Dave's the main reason for keeping it close to the block was to miss the factory 1-1 brake valve. You will find out soon :D

I also warped the flange..... Haven't decided how I'm going to fix it..... I may cut the rear runner off flatten the flange, reweld it then machine it perfect.... Sounds like way to much work.... I do want to make a jig, I wouldn't mind a few L series turbo headers hanging above my tool box :D
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

icehouse wrote:Hey it may fit, when we test fit Dave's the main reason for keeping it close to the block was to miss the factory 1-1 brake valve. You will find out soon :D

I also warped the flange..... Haven't decided how I'm going to fix it..... I may cut the rear runner off flatten the flange, reweld it then machine it perfect.... Sounds like way to much work.... I do want to make a jig, I wouldn't mind a few L series turbo headers hanging above my tool box :D
L series turbo headers in stock, that would be SWEET!! I guarantee you could sell at least 3 or 4 in the first week!! Think of all the noobs that don't want to motor swap due to time and money. Just sell them a header and watch the L motors get destroyed left and right :mrgreen:
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."

-defdes
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

heirfaus wrote: L series turbo headers in stock, that would be SWEET!! I guarantee you could sell at least 3 or 4 in the first week!! Think of all the noobs that don't want to motor swap due to time and money. Just sell them a header and watch the L motors get destroyed left and right :mrgreen:
HHMMM destroying the L hehe :twisted:
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

icehouse wrote:
HHMMM destroying the L hehe :twisted:
Oh no!!! What have I done :?: :( :cry:

-defdes
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Eh Chris,

The only engineering item I see with your exhaust manifold is that the gas flow needs to make one extra 90 degree bend, and this is obviously not the right thing.

On the other hand, how can I criticize you? My manifold is no more than two flanges sitting under my desk at work, with no more than an air drawing! You are doing the same thing I am, fitting the motor sans (that's French for without) turbo.

Keep us posted, I so look forward to the day you do get this running. Perfect or not, you are way ahead of me right now!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Jeff's likely was patterned after my kit's measurements? Getting the exhaust to exit past the steering box, etc, is obviously critical.

To bad you guys could not get together for a "fire up" day..battle of the turbo's...Boost Wars....see who can pump a piston out the tailpipe first.... :wink:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

HELP!!!!

Why didn't someone tell me that Z22 won;t just bolt in? :(

Here's some pics of the problem I'm having. I took the L series head, timing cover, motor mounts and breackets and this won't fit. The mounts aren't even nearly close to working. About an inch off. And to top it off the bottom hole on the drivers side wasn't even threaded!!!! I had to tap the lower one just to bolt on the bracket. I need help and I need help fast. Long story short, I'm in the middle of a divorce and the Datsun is in pieces at my wife's place. I don't live there anymore and I can't get it out of there!!! She has been civil for now and hasn't attack the Datsun, but I fear the longer it stays there the more likely that will be an option. :( :(

Originally I had both motor mounts the same way but the passenger side was way off when the drivers side was bolted up. If I flip the passenger side motor mount I can get a bolt through it but it's not kosher and I don't want to torque it done like that.

DRIVERS SIDE

PASSENGER SIDE

-defdes
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Are you sure you have the steel block mounts in the right wholes? Trust me it's impossible if they are in the wrong wholes :D I looked through my photo's and couldn't find a good photo for reference. Have a buddy with an L motor send you a pic so you get it right. The Z blocks do bolt in.
indy510

Post by indy510 »

Here's my L18 mounts,,,,

The lower holes are threaded, I only used the two lower bolts, and left them loose until everthing was lined up perfectly,,, and it helps to have 2 people to line up the motor.

Let me know if you need more pics,,, my motor mounts look smaller than yours though....
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

It looks like they are in the correct holes, here's a pic of mine before my swap.
lz1.JPG
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

heirfaus wrote:Why didn't someone tell me that Z22 won;t just bolt in? :(
IT WILL !

Originally I had both motor mounts the same way but the passenger side was way off when the drivers side was bolted up. If I flip the passenger side motor mount I can get a bolt through it but it's not kosher and I don't want to torque it done like that.
the pass side MM is upside down (rotate it back 180*)
they also seem to be aftermarket MM, which are ~1/2" thicker :twisted:
get a set of OEM MM from nissan.

i had to use a pry bar in the unthreaded holes in the MM/x member to align the bolt holes. having another set of hands would have helped A LOT!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

AHA!! It's alive.....again!!!

Finally drove it yesterday. So I barely got the motor mounts to fit with a little persuasion, but there really isn't any stress on them. Phil came over helped me stuff the tranny on the ground. Then it was just the little odds and ends to wrap it up. I had to half ass a handful of things because I need it drivable to move to another location so there is still a lot of work to do to get it to DD status.

I will admit I made the same small/big mistake with megasquirt that I did the first time around. This small mistake had a big consequence, in that it took 4 days to figure it out!! There needs to be a disclaimer at the beginning of the Mega Manual that says "do not configure data with connecting laptop to ecu". I diligently went over all my data and double and triple checked everything to make sure it was kosher and it wouldn't run because I did all of the data input on my buddies couch in front of the TV. I then went to the car, burn the file to m=Mega Squirt and no start for 4 days. Couldn't figure it out. So I wiped the file, connected to megasquirt and powered it up, input the data and it works perfectly, took about 25 minutes. What a pain in the ass that was!! :evil:

I will also admit another mistake from my previous build. I had heard the manifold I was using didn't have good HP capabilities and boy did I ever agree!! BUT I just realized this past week that the slow motor was because I NEVER programmed my ignition maps for Mega Squirt. It was running at -10 degrees at EVERY bin for RPM/MAP. So the first drive with the new motor was fun when you have somewhat correct settings for everything :D

I still have a lot of tuning to do and that will be done after I move it to another location. I did make sure on my test drive that I was generally around 14-15 on the WBO2 so it's nice and safe to drive.

-defdes