Chris' 72 Project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Derek went with a 300ZX throttle that was a bit smaller than the 240SX unit... I think either one would work equally well and both are quite plentiful. We pulled a couple throttles from 240SX 12-valve motors at the wrecker. If you don't want to pay "sports car" part prices at the wrecker, pull one off a Mercury Villager minivan or Nissan Axxes minivan (then it's "minivan" part prices!)
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

I forgot to post a pic and I don't think I mentioned it, or maybe I did. I have a L28 throttle body with tps and olschool linkage. Is that the same diameter as the 240sk unit?

I finnally bought the megasquirt kit yesterday. Now I just have to build it, and get the last odds and ends, but who knows how long that will take......

I almost got distracted, and started a rear disk brake conv. but I barely decided to stay focused on the EFI.

About 400 US for rear disk conversion complete and I don't have to fabricate anything!!

Oh well that will have to wait.
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

heirfaus wrote:I forgot to post a pic and I don't think I mentioned it, or maybe I did. I have a L28 throttle body with tps and olschool linkage. Is that the same diameter as the 240sk unit?
I think someone who has one should go measure and let us know! :wink:
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Chris,
I have a feeling that the L28 throttle position sensor will NOT work with megasquirt (or any other programmable EFI setup - for some reason I think it's a switch box, not a ratiometric potentiometer)

measure it with an ohmmeter and make sure it's compatible with the EFI stuff before you fabricate a bunch more shit around it...

By the way, which MegaSquirt did you go with?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The 280ZX/200SX is just a switch box, one for idle, one for full throttle, and one for anywhere in the middle. That's all the L jetronic system needed. I know this for sure, as I took one apart 11 years ago when I started my own EFI project.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Thanks for the tip.....and it's funny that I fix cars but don't think to measure my own throttle body before asking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."

-defdes
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Oh and I bought the basic version 2.2, I figure it will work for now. It's funny I'm on a tight budget until august when I get married. I figure I would save some coin and get the less expensive, now and then go big later this year.

-defdes
Derek

Post by Derek »

As I mentioned in the SR thread, I'm putting EFI on a built L18 -- 10.5:1 compression via ZX flat tops and a closed chambered worked over A87 and DAMB cam. I got the V3 board as they made some improvements in the layout and made it more physically reliable when compared to the V2.
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

heirfaus wrote:I forgot to post a pic and I don't think I mentioned it, or maybe I did. I have a L28 throttle body with tps and olschool linkage. Is that the same diameter as the 240sk unit?
IIRC, the L28E TB is a 48mm unit. Honestly, it's too small for what you are doing. The 300ZX TB is a 55mm (good, but on the conservative side), and the 240SX is a 60mm (good, but on the big side).

Personally, I would go with the 300ZX. I've used a few on 4 cylinders and they seem to work nice, without any noticeable tip-in.

FWIW, you can swap the later 300ZX potentiometer TPS onto the early 280ZX TB. Just takes a bit of slotting of the holes I believe. I did it once, but it's been about 6 years ago... :P
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Rob I ordered the flyback board last weekend and got it today. Got all my supplies and I should have them both built tonight.....hopefully, if everything goes ok. I also ordered the MSD inline fuel pump a few days ago.

My roomate is supposedly a circuit board building pro, so we'll see!!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

good choice on the flyback option; it will make the wiring harness more compact and easier to wire up...

Here's how we built our units...
Attachments
here's the approx width (it doesn't have to be accurate, someone on the MS forum insisted on a number, so I took this picture)
here's the approx width (it doesn't have to be accurate, someone on the MS forum insisted on a number, so I took this picture)
here is a picture of the board cut down
here is a picture of the board cut down
510rob

Post by 510rob »

to cut the board down, just put some tape over your vise jaws, and use them as a nice guide for a hacksaw. After the cut, gently file it smooth with a file.
Attachments
...and the rest of the parts on the top of the board like this
...and the rest of the parts on the top of the board like this
mount D100, D103, and the bigger transistors to the bottom of the board like this...
mount D100, D103, and the bigger transistors to the bottom of the board like this...
510rob

Post by 510rob »

if you do all of this, you can slide the flyback board into the bottom slot in the lower case, and drill+tap the bottom case to hold the transistors without nuts on the outside!
Attachments
this is all that protrudes from the outside of the case
this is all that protrudes from the outside of the case
these are 4-40 screws.  use a #43 drill in a drill press, and start the tap in the drill press (turn the chuck by hand!) to make sure it's perfectly vertical and perpendicular
these are 4-40 screws. use a #43 drill in a drill press, and start the tap in the drill press (turn the chuck by hand!) to make sure it's perfectly vertical and perpendicular
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Ok so the only tought thing about this is finding the time. I only got in 20 min yesterday, and about 20 min today. So I guess it'll take a little longer than I thought, but don't work for the next 2 days, so should be done soon :D

I love the setup for putting the flyback in, but I doubt myine will be that pretty, oh well we'll see
Attachments
piccyu.jpg
510rob

Post by 510rob »

is that some 9V battery testing you are doing in the picture?