Duke's'72 Carbed KA project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Have your checked to see if you have enough room for your seat?
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Yeah, I've checked to make sure the seat fits. Thats half the reason that I mounted the main hoop up on the rear seat "shelf" as it gives you plenty of room for seating and for your head to move before is comes into contact with the cage.

In regards to the plate on the shock tower, if you look at the stock design, it is aleady doubled up with some 1/8" plate, so I figured that it wasn't nessasary. I am planning of stitch welding this plate though to add some extra strength.

And Keith, I got the "well" idea from you, so thanks...it seems like I steal alot of the idea's off your car, hope you don't mind!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Nope, don't mind at all, which is why I'm on this site. I hope some of the stuff I have learned and made, helps all of you out there now.

There was a time, that so much of this, as an overall package, was really not devulged, or really talked about, as this my edge at the races. Simple stuff, but, when it's all put together........

Now that I think back, to the height of the C-MOD wars, guys would ask what I had done. I would just say...geee...I can't rememeber...gotta check the log book. Now...my grey hair dictates that I REALLY have to check the log book. Rats!

I have never un-covered that "well", in any form of racing.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Looks great! nice welding.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Thanks, I have to admit though, it wasn't all that pretty. Some of those places are a b$%ch to get to. It all got my dads stamp of approval though, and he's built quite a few cages in his life.

I drove it tonight, just down to the gas station, but man could I feel a difference in rear end stiffness. The car feels much more predictable. A real improvement.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Nice to actually be able to feel the results right away. It will be a while until I get my car on the road.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

This being my daily driver, it kinda sucks cause I have to rush sometimes to get it back on the road, or else I won't be making it to school! My father is a big car guy though, so he lets me borrow his car if I'm undertaking a bigger project. But man, do I sometimes wish that I could really tackle a car like you have Yellowcar, I think your new car will be awesome.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
slodat

Post by slodat »

What did you modify on the tank to clear the strut bar? If I'm understand the photo correctly, the mod is on the opposite side.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Nice sump addition. No siphoning air on hard acceleration now.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Duke we had the same original color of cars. That terrible orange. The cage looks great though. I hope to get mine done this week. I got my main hoop in and just with that i noticed a difference in the chassis stiffness.

Where did your spare tire well go. Are you planning a fuel cell or just cleaning that area up?
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

The modification that I made to the tank was just moving the breather on top so that it wouldn't hit the brace. The pickup is on the opposite side now also. I'd like to put a swirl pot and electric fuel pump in there eventually, so I figured that having the pickup on the drivers side would give me a little more room.

As for the spare tire well, I cut it out because it was rusted, and who needs a spare tire. I just covered the hole with an aluminum panel that is held in with some rivets.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Nice dude, Those are some nice welds.

P.S I really like your car, I love them with no bumpers :D
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
15cent

Post by 15cent »

SO Duke, Are your 280zx sturts shortened?
i really wanna setup mysuspension like yours...
Details!
'72 2 Door Sedan
Z20 + 5Speed
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Yeah, shortened 280zx struts.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
15cent

Post by 15cent »

Cool thanks..What coil over kit did you go with? Weld on right ?
How much did you shorten the struts?
'72 2 Door Sedan
Z20 + 5Speed