Duke's'72 Carbed KA project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
wilderb

Post by wilderb »

duke wrote:Count me in for the trip to Shasta. This is the first year that I will be able so go and I am STOKED. I have been super busy with school and sports and the like so I haven't had alot of time lately. I've been meaning to give you a call, and now that I'm done with school, I'll have the time. How about some time next week? Here are some more pics of recent work...suspension, radiator, heat sheild.
what kind of wheel studs did you use for the 280zx struts?
15cent

Post by 15cent »

Sorry for bein a pain duke, but on your rear suspension..in those last pics..Was it mini tubbed?
What rear springs and shocks do you use ..Modded crossmember?
'72 2 Door Sedan
Z20 + 5Speed
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

The wheel studs are ARP for a late 90's camero/firebird. You can get them in a few lengths, and they fit the stock stud holes perfectly.

15cent, yes, I did minitub the rear, it was the only way I could get the car low, with the rewinds, and not run crazy amounts of camber. In regards to springs, at that time I had some cut Suspension Techniques springs with some no name shocks and a slotted rear x-member. Nothing special, but it did auto-x pretty damn well for how soft those springs were.

Oh yeah, and an update on the project....I HATE BODYWORK!!!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
15cent

Post by 15cent »

Cool, thanks Duke
'72 2 Door Sedan
Z20 + 5Speed
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

We want pics of the mini tub :D
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Here you go Wolfman...I'll try and get some pics of the completed project sometime this week, but for now you can see what I cut out...and my thumbnail pic...
Last edited by duke on 05 May 2008 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
4BangerA31

Post by 4BangerA31 »

Wow!
your suspension setup is quite da bomb!
Definetaly going to redo my suspensions setup similar to yours when my budget permits... :oops:

**if thats okay with u hehe :D
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

What is the middle picture?
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

icehouse wrote:What is the middle picture?
Looking up the rear wheel well from the outside it looks like
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Are you going to do some sort of bracing in the area you cut out as that area seems like a key conecting point. Where the inner fender tub connects to the outer fender lip. I just cut my inner fender lips out (i have flares) and weld the inner tub back up to the body, but i still need more clearance. I need to do something like this as well, that sure is tucked up in there duke!
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Bracing? yeah, well, uhhh...I figured that the increase in bracing that the roll bar added would make up for this and then some. Also, If you look at how many people do BRE flares, basically the same thing happens, and I haven't really heard of any problems with that.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Duke, most of the cars I've seen, including my own, have the wheel tubs welded back to the quarter after this type of mod. My car is caged as well, but you still gain stiffness in the chassis by tying the panels back together. Even if you don't weld the panel in, use a good structural glue or urethane from the properly fit new filler panel to the quarter. Follow the directions for the product you are using, and the bond can be as good as a welded panel without the heat distorting your quarter panel.
Just an idea.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Thanks for mentioning that byron, that is a really good idea i never would have thought of. My car is newly painted and i knew i should have figured out the rear wheel tubs before i painted.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Well, the structural adhesive would be a good option, but urethane at the least as a sealer to join to the outer panel.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

What about super glue? just ware gloves :D