Duke's'72 Carbed KA project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
duke
Supporter

Duke's'72 Carbed KA project

Post by duke »

Thought that I'd start a thread on my project to keep track of the work and also get some input for others. So here it is:

History: It was an ITC race car that ran around here in northern California in the early 90's. I've had people tell me that they remember seeing it run at Sears Point back in the day. After that it seems like it sat for about 10 years and picked up some rust and other stuff before I got my hands on it.

I've owned it for 2.5 years and it has always been my daily driver. Because of this my progress has been a little slow, cause I have to be able to drive it most of the time...so here it is:
Attachments
My car as it currently sits.
My car as it currently sits.
Last edited by duke on 01 Feb 2009 00:23, edited 5 times in total.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
icehouse

RE: Duke

Post by icehouse »

What are your plans? Sr? Its worth it. Haha just couldn't resist.

No bumper and you still have plates. I got pulled over today because of no plate. I told him its on the bumper hehe the bumpers just not on the car. Then he gave me a seatbelt ticket, I think I'm up to like 20 seatbelt tickets. I think once a cars a classic seatbelts should not be required. Like there going to do anything anyways.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Derek

Post by Derek »

Sorry icehouse, regardless of the car not wearing seatbelts is really dumb. I feel weird not wearing one. Plus they hold you in better while cornering.

Duke looks great -- are those 14" Rewinds? How did you get them to fit?
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I agree with Derek about the seatbelt stuff. I always whear my 4 point regardless. I know about the bumper thing, and the licence plate thing, gone through that a few times, haha.

The wheels are 15 inch rewinds, with 205-50-15 tires. In the front I have 280zx struts with camber plates, and they fit no problem. In the rear the fenders are rolled and the inner fender is modified (with a hammer...haha) so the tires don't rub. I'm planning on doing some mini tubs, ala BRE 510's.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
hillbillyhector

Post by hillbillyhector »

you've got the rewinds fitting nicely... camber is the key!
give us some more details.. pictures of the engine bay?

do you know brian? (a local snap-on tool guy).. he's a datsun head as well.
we've got a crew going to shasta this year.. meeting up with bay area caravan here in SR.

by the way, what happened to you stopping by the shop duke?

... and icehouse...
I'll play the role of your mother on this one: wear your seatbelt!!
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Count me in for the trip to Shasta. This is the first year that I will be able so go and I am STOKED. I have been super busy with school and sports and the like so I haven't had alot of time lately. I've been meaning to give you a call, and now that I'm done with school, I'll have the time. How about some time next week? Here are some more pics of recent work...suspension, radiator, heat sheild.
Attachments
new radiator
new radiator
SU's with custom k&n filter and heat sheild
SU's with custom k&n filter and heat sheild
280zx struts with coilovers and koni porche 911 adjustable inserts
280zx struts with coilovers and koni porche 911 adjustable inserts
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: RE: Duke

Post by datzenmike »

[quote="Derek"]Sorry icehouse, regardless of the car not wearing seatbelts is really dumb. I feel weird not wearing one. Plus they hold you in better while cornering.

My second car, a 340 Dart, had seatbelts, but I was young and didn't need 'em. A combination of cornering and h.p. on an on ramp, slid me across the front seat with only the steering wheel in my hand and one knee hooked 'round the shifter. We survived. I would like you to survive too.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

RE: Re: RE: Duke

Post by icehouse »

Haha I know I just don't think a lap belt is going to do anything in a reck. I've been I 3 recks and didn't wear a seat belt in any of them. One of the recks we rolled my buddys cresida, It ended up on the ruff. I never got hurt. I just don't understand why we can drink and smoke, but have to wear a seat belt. I understand new cars but come on the datsun seat belts suck. Expecialy the sholder strap.

I can't wait to meet all you guys at shasta. Check out your rigs in real life.... Yeah yeah
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Duke

Post by datzenmike »

[quote="icehouse"]Haha I know I just don't think a lap belt is going to do anything in a reck. I've been I 3 recks and didn't wear a seat belt in any of them. One of the recks we rolled my buddys cresida, It ended up on the ruff. I never got hurt. I just don't understand why we can drink and smoke, but have to wear a seat belt. I understand new cars but come on the datsun seat belts suck. Expecialy the sholder strap.

Well, all I can say then is...Right on
My boss says " as long as we're having fun, it's our God given right to kill ourselves as we see fit!" chuckle
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I have been doing some work lately. To be able to fit the wheels I have and not run super JDM style demon camber :twisted: I decided to kinda 'tub' the rear fender wells. If you have ever read the "how to build a trans am racer" section in the How to Modify book, then you know exactly what I'm doing. I'm thinking of even doing a little flare, cause the fender lips are messed up. Here are some pics of the progress.
Attachments
suspension travel is limited to the trailing arm hitting the body.
suspension travel is limited to the trailing arm hitting the body.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
marks510

Post by marks510 »

15x7 rewinds? what tire size are you running? i really want that wheel and plan to run 2.5ish degrees of camber up front and 1.5ish in the rear.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Well, I drove it to Shasta last weekend, which is about 5 hours each way, and I ran great. I know, its nothing compared to what you BC guys did, but its the longest trip that I have made in the 510. Also did my first autocross. One of friday and one on sunday, and I'm addicted. It also let me know what needs to be done on the suspension to get it to that next level. Also saw a few guys from the forum, and some really nice cars, especially some of the Z's that were in attendance. Here are some pics of the autocross and the trip up.
Last edited by duke on 05 May 2008 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

was nice meetin ya in shasta, man your car looks SLAMMED in person!
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

It was nice to meet you to, awesome to see that you guys made the trip from way up north. Yeah, the combo of some camping gear and not stiff enough rear springs made it sit really low in the rear. New rear springs are defineatly on the to do list, along with some weight jackers so I can adjust the rear ride height.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
hillbillyhector

Post by hillbillyhector »

.....so what ever happened with you and that post-op?
www.hectorschopshop.com

vintage Japanese retrofit.
been at it for nearly 15 years.