Tim's 69

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
nickledimeme
Supporter

Re: Tim's 69

Post by nickledimeme »

Tim......thecar is looking very nice.

Is the coating for the rockers the same thing MB and BMW use? We used to use what they called cavity wax and used a pneumatic gun to inject it into the frame rails on certian cars with corrosion issues.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

It is a modern version of cavity wax from 3M but close to the same thing. I think it is a little more fluid so it can self heal.
It uses a shutz gun with a long extension for application; or at least it would if it worked :?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yellowcar wrote:BTW the braided lines in the brake picture are the feeds from the brake reservoirs to the master they are not the actual brake plumbing. The brakes will be plumbed with Stainless hard lines
S15DET wrote:Where do you plan to mount your reservoirs? I might be moving mine soon because I seem to keep getting air into the clutch master.
I don't have a picture of the reservoirs right now but Byron has a good pic of his setup in the bronze project thread, mine are in a similar location

phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=530&st=0&sk= ... &start=150
Tim,

It looks great. I'll bet you are enjoying working in that heated garage now!!
I really like the caps on top of your M/C's - I used the bits that came with my Tilton set up, but the one pic on my thread shows the up and down travel of the lines due to the cap inlet being at a slight angle. I did the best with what I had - and it works just fine. But I admit your set up looks much cleaner with the banjo fittings and braided line. I used off the shelf compression fittings and air brake line – due to the fact that the brake fluid will not break down that material. The rubber hose that comes with the kit is an interior slow bleed brake fluid soaker hose – it’s a wonder that a company like Tilton would even supply such a poorly designed hose for the job. Are the caps that you are using a Tilton P/N?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Me too Byron, I was admiring the inlet caps. I used hot water to soften the Tilton-supplied inlet caps and carefully bend the angle of the inlet tube down a bit for needed clearance. When I saw Tim's inlet caps I immediately planned on making something similar, but if they are something that can be purchased, even better. I, too, didn't use the supplied rubber hose, but I did use another rubber hose that will withstand the exposure to brake fluid. I can't remember the type of rubber, but it's very low durometer and easy to work with.

You've seen how my reservoirs are under the cowl on the passenger side, well, I think there's not enough head pressure since the reservoir is only slightly above the master cylinder, so I'm assuming that this is a problem. The symptom is that my clutch slave won't stay extended. I press the pedal, the slave extends, then about 5 seconds later it starts to retract on it's own. The system is well bled, believe me, the master cylinder is new, as is the slave cylinder, and there are no leaks. I can only figure that I'm still getting air in the line from the reservoir, and it's finding it's way into the pressure side over time.

Sorry for the thread jack, but it's pertinent to what your doing, right?
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Sure, I think its pertinent unless we start troubleshooting your slave cylinder problem :wink:

I think we are using different master cylinders. I bought Tilton 76 series masters because they were short and also because of the inlet arrangement. The cap comes with the master and accepts a 4- fitting or a banjo. Well, it doesn’t say anything about a banjo so I hope it works. Seems like it would work right?

I think the other masters are series 75 and have a different cap arrangement. If I remember right the series 76 were new when I bought them so they might not have even been available when you built your system.

I just saw that tilton released a new pedal setup too. It is an update to the one I have now and is pretty cool. I am thinking of buying the new one and swapping it. Pretty bad though if I am updating parts before the thing is even done.

I don’t have heat set up in the shop yet though so I am using small space heaters for now. I do not look forward to my next electric bill.
It's nice to have some space to work in though. I have been trying to organize everything and get everything out of cardboard boxes and into clear plastic bins. I also keep moving things around as I work in the shop to try and find a layout that works well. I also finally know that my wiring works as well as all the cameras and alarm crap that I installed. I know I’m a little paranoid but better to be safe…
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Since I need to make an oil pan I need to put the new crank in the motor so when I make the pan I am sure nothing will hit the stroked crank.
The motor looked pretty bad when I took it apart. I could tell someone had it apart before and they screwed up a few things. on eof the timing chain tensioner bolts are stripped, two of the cam towers had the wrong kind of washer and one had no washers, the threads on one of the cam twoers doesn't look too good (but might be OK)
the valves on one cylinder are very rusted and a couple sof the cylinders are pretty rusted.
The only things I am worried abiout are the stripped bolst though because I am replacing everyting else.

After disassembly I cleaned up the motor and found I had to clearance the block and the main girdle for the crank. I also had to take the oil squirters out (need to figure out how to modify them to fit later)
I finally managed to get the crank in and turning. looks big in there! lots of stroke...
Last edited by Yellowcar on 04 Aug 2009 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Installed the T/C rods, the control arms and the steering links today. Nothing is adjusted yet but now I could actually bolt the wheels on and roll it around.
Last edited by Yellowcar on 04 Aug 2009 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

So, I went ahead and ordered the new Tilton pedal set and installed it this weekend.
Honestly, I am not so sure it was worth the money to get the new set. I adjusted the pedal pads all the way to the left and while it does give me a little more room, it is not very much of a difference. Oh well, I like the black better than the raw aluminum color so that is something. :wink:
I also ran some of the brake lines from the masters to the front brakes.
BTW the gas pedal is not in it's final position if you are wondering...

Last edited by Yellowcar on 04 Aug 2009 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Looking good! I have the same pedal set up as yours. Curios as to why you didn't utilize the other set you have? They were 600 series as well, no?
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

The other pedals were the 600 series too but they were the previous version. Between the time I bought the pedals and the time I installed them Tilton released the new version. There isn't much difference but I really wanted the adjustable pedal pads so I decided to pony up and get them. I knew if I didn't get them now It would bug me later every time I looked at them.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Oh OK, I didn't notice that before.

Yeah the adjustable pedals are nice aren't they, I really
like them a lot.

Funny, I mounted my pedals in a very similar way except we used
the tubing that was left over from my cage install.

Love the build, can't wait to get to the stage your at. Assembly.

Cheers, Scott.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

lookin good!
Yellowcar wrote:BTW the gas pedal is not in it's final position ...
what is the pedal from?
mine has longer foot 'print', from a 300zx.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

I think the gas pedal is from a 240SX but I am not sure.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Changed some of the pictures in this thread to links instead of being hosted so people should be able to see them now
I also finally managed to make a little more progress on the car.
I finished running all the brake lines and the line for the clutch. Everything worked pretty well but I did have one fitting leak (just a tiny bit) when I pressure tested it. I tried tightening the fitting some more... no luck. I tried loosening it then re-tightening it.. no luck. So I took it all the way apart and looked at the flare to see what the problem was. Well, somehow I missed flaring that end plus, by tightening the unflared tube I had damaged the bulkhead T that it attached to as well. :oops: So, once again I had to order fittings and wait. Seems like I spend more time waiitng for parts then working sometimes.
Pretty surprising that it held as good as it did considering it wasn't even flared at all.
Looking back it was also not the best idea to use ATE superblue fluid for the first fill since it stains everything blue there is only a small spot in the car but a pretty big stain on the shop floor.
Anyway, It is all back together now and holds pressure now so I can put the car on the ground and stop and steer it.

I also bought an old car trailer so I can move the car around. Jim Froula has helped me move the car around many times in the past but I hate to keep asking him (Even though he has always been very nice about it) so i though it was time to get my own trailer.
For some reason people seem to think that their old crappy car trailers are worth the same as a new trailer but i finally found an older trailer that was reasonably priced. It needs a fair amount of work and is a very small trailer but it will hold a 510 and i don't need to tow the car vey often so it will work fine. I cleaned the whole thing and painted it with POR15 (it was a two tone before; really bad blue and rust ) and now just need to replace the brake hydraulics.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Quick update...Been working on my oil pan and am finishing the trailer so I can tow the car to get the header built.

Just got a winch and a set of tie downs for the trailer and also got the wiring harness for the car

Happy birthday to me :D
IMG_1959.JPG